Request: Reduce DM Award Gold

I'm not sure how this harms the game. DMs rewards are just that, rewards. You need to put in 24 hours of DM time to get a magic item, the equivalent of 6 4-hour adventures. Since gold is typically handed out at 1/2 the XP level you need to have 3k DM XP to get 1500 gp for plate in most circumstances. So that's a 4th level character. I don't see how that breaks anything or effects anyone's enjoyment for that matter.

kalani

First Post
The only drawback to DM rewards, is that some players may feel outclassed by a higher level character at their table. This in and of itself can be somewhat mitigated by simply not using DM XP to the point where you grossly outclass other characters.

Other than that, the only other issue I can think of is that some players may complain that their X level character has less gold than the DM character. This too isn't as big a problem as people are making it out to be, given the fact that same DM character played less adventures and therefore the other characters at the table are likely to have greater renown than the DM character, plus also a greater opportunity of having gained special story rewards, and unique treasure rewards (eg. mounts, shield guardians, and the like, depending on level).

Ultimately, my opinion on the matter is, if players are complaining about the amount of gold a DM character may have compared to their equivalent level character - I would a) remind them that their equivalent level character has +X renown & story rewards, and b) nothing is stopping the player from stepping up to DM themselves.

Speaking personally, I don't think the rewards are disproportionate to the effort needed to obtain them (unlike in earlier seasons when DMs complained at how pitiful the rewards were).

rooneg

Adventurer
Speaking personally, I don't think the rewards are disproportionate to the effort needed to obtain them (unlike in earlier seasons when DMs complained at how pitiful the rewards were).

Honestly, I think that's more of a problem than anything else. There's a giant pile of adventures from early seasons that have hilariously small rewards associated with them. Players want to play them, because they're good adventures, so they get scheduled at cons and game days and whatever, but the DM gets short changed for stepping up to run it.

Rewards should be taken out of the adventure entirely. Just make the rewards in the AL DM's Guide apply retroactively to older adventures.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Honestly, I think that's more of a problem than anything else. There's a giant pile of adventures from early seasons that have hilariously small rewards associated with them. Players want to play them, because they're good adventures, so they get scheduled at cons and game days and whatever, but the DM gets short changed for stepping up to run it.

Rewards should be taken out of the adventure entirely. Just make the rewards in the AL DM's Guide apply retroactively to older adventures.
I think they do apply retroactively.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

rooneg

Adventurer
I think they do apply retroactively.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

That's not how it was explained the last time I saw this discussed, if it is true I'd love to see a FAQ or something that confirms it (especially since I'm DMing some older adventures at a con in a few weeks!).

Anthraxus

Explorer
The older DDEX modules still have to use the rewards as listed.

Someone DMing the Hardcovers (even the older seasons) gets DM rewards listed in the most recent ALDMG.

rooneg

Adventurer
The older DDEX modules still have to use the rewards as listed.

Someone DMing the Hardcovers (even the older seasons) gets DM rewards listed in the most recent ALDMG.

That's what I had originally heard as well, but to be fair, nothing in the current AL DM's Guide says that, the only way you get to that interpretation of the rule is via "specific trumps general". The section on DM Rewards never mentions that rewards can be specified in the adventure.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Dungeon Masters running hardcover adventures published by Wizards of the Coast receive XP for every session, calculated in two hour blocks according to the average party level for the session. This is roughly equivalent to the D&D Adventurers League rewards above.

The standalone (DDEX/DDAL) mods have their own Rewards listed, and the ALDMG quote above shows how to reward from Hardcovers. Older DDEX adventures not being as rewarding as the new adventures was one of the things I was concerned about most, when I became an LC. The admins have reiterated several times (that I've seen) that for the time being, non-hardcover adventures give the rewards listed in the back of the adventure.

rooneg

Adventurer
The standalone (DDEX/DDAL) mods have their own Rewards listed, and the ALDMG quote above shows how to reward from Hardcovers. Older DDEX adventures not being as rewarding as the new adventures was one of the things I was concerned about most, when I became an LC. The admins have reiterated several times (that I've seen) that for the time being, non-hardcover adventures give the rewards listed in the back of the adventure.

Yes, I've seen that as well, although I can't find any examples with some quick searching around. The two sentences prior to what you quoted aren't specific about what adventures should use the chart and what shouldn't though.

<quote>D&D Adventurers League adventures award the Dungeon Master XP, gold, and downtime days they can apply to a character of their own. Use the target level of the adventure as your guide when referring to the table below.</quote>

The only thing specific to hardcover adventures is the bit about using the current average party level, and nothing says "don't use this chart if the adventure actually specifies exact rewards". If we're not supposed to use the chart for older adventures (which would suck, but whatever) there should be something somewhere that says so.

kalani

First Post
As an RC I can confirm what the posters above have said. The rules in the ALDMG are only for the hardcovers (which lack specific DM rewards).

P7 of the PHB always applies - Specific trumps general. If a specific adventure lists a reward - that is the reward you get (this applies to PCs as well in the case of the new DT and Renown that is awarded for every 2/4 hrs played)

Remove ads