D&D 5E [OOC] Escape from Castle Illvithar

Creamsteak

Explorer
Castle Illvithar: OOC, IC, RG

Intro
The Dread Lich Illvithar, Defender of Pale, The Scourge of the Living, Lord of Undeath was supposedly destroyed some hundred years ago. His domain, once shrouded in darkness, has been restored by time, nature, and sunlight. The ruins of his great castle still exist, avoided by all but the most foolhardy. You never intended to come here, but alas, here you are. You find yourself awakening in the lower catacombs, but you are not alone. Will these strangers be your friend or your foe? Will you ever see the sun again? What lurks here in Castle Illvithar?

Synopsis
This is a first level dungeon crawler horror game for Halloween and beyond. What's worse, you can't fully trust your party members. Just how deep in the dungeons are you? What secrets must you discover to escape? This game will focus heavily on puzzles, traps, backtracking, keys, more traps, monsters you most likely have no chance against, traitorous allies, scarce resources, and most of all death. None have ever escaped Castle Illvithar, and your chances are no better. If you can't handle a game with player elimination and failure this isn't your game. You only get one shot (until next year perhaps). It may not even be fun. This is a very bare-bones game. Maybe it tests your cunning, but more likely it only tests your luck.

Character Creation
First level characters. No variants. Point buy 27. Standard starting equipment. Are you good? Are you evil? That remains to be seen. Perhaps you do not even know yourself that well. Amnesiacs, prisoners, cultists... all are equally welcome.

Special Rules
I'll take the first four characters into the dungeons to begin the game. No more. When one of them falls, which may take a while or may happen immediately, I'll take some other player and their character from the roster while there's demand. How far will you get? I have no idea. Good luck.

Attachments

• CastleShot9.png
    CastleShot9.png
    573.4 KB · Views: 3,489
Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
You might die in a horrible way without getting out of the first room, but if you do manage to acquire some xp, whatever amount, you're entitled to it.

Forged Fury

First Post
Whisper, Halfling Rogue

Whisper.jpg

Code:
Name:       Whisper
Class:      Rogue 1
Race:       Halfling (Stout)
Background: Urchin
Size:       Small (3', 40 lbs)
Alignment:  ???

STR: 10 (+0)             HP: 11 (1d8 HD)
DEX: 16 (+3) Save: +5    AC: 14 (Leather + DEX)
CON: 16 (+3)
INT: 10 (+0) Save: +2    Speed:   25
WIS: 14 (+2)             Init:    +3
CHA: 08 (-1)             Passive Perception: 14

Skills:                  Abilities:
*Acrobatics        +5    Lucky: Reroll 1s on attack/ability/save
Animal Handling    +2    Brave: Advantage vs. Frightened
Arcana             +0    Nimbleness: Move through space of larger creatures
*Athletics         +2    Stout: Advantage on poison saves and resistance to poison damage
Deception          -1    Expertise: Stealth & Thieves Tools
History            +0    Sneak Attack: 1d6 if advantage on attack or ally within 5' of target
Insight            +2    Thieves' Cant
Intimidation       -1
*Investigation     +2    City Secrets
Medicine           +2
Nature             +0
*Perception        +4
Performance        -1
Persuasion         -1
Religion           +0
*Sleight of Hand   +5
*Stealth (E)       +7
Survival           +2

Proficiency:
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Hand Crossbow, Longsword, Rapier, & Shortsword
Tools: Disguise Kit & Thieves Tools
Languages: Common & Halfling

Weapon                Attack  Damage     Type  Range
Shortsword             +5     1d6+3        P
Shortbow               +5     1d6+3        P  (80/320)
Dagger                 +5     1d4+3        P  (20/60)

Equipment:
Short Sword
Short Bow & 20 Arrows
Dagger (2)
Thieves Tools
Leather Armor
Map of Waterdeep
Pet Rat (Estelle)
Common Clothes
Dungeoneer's Pack

Money: 10GP

Personality Trait: I like to squeeze into small places where no one else can get to me.
Personality Trait: I think anyone who’s nice to me is hiding evil intent.
Ideal: I help the people who help me—that’s what keeps us alive.
Bond: I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity on me.
Flaw: People who can't take care of themselves get what they deserve.

Background: Whisper was born an orphan on the cruel streets of Waterdeep. She never knew her parents and has no idea how she became to be in her situation. Taken in by a local thieves guild, she survived initially as a panhandler and occasional pickpocket, before moving up to greater levels of larceny, eventually developing skill at second-story work. Recently, Whisper's throat was cut after finding herself on the wrong end of a bloody civil war within her thieve's guild. Although she should have died, she woke to a mysterious black-robed figure who nursed her to health and told her that her destiny would soon call to her. As a result of the grievous wound, her voice has now been reduced to a harsh whisper and a mass of scar tissue crosses her throat like a choker. Not trusting the man, she escaped and fled into the alleys of Waterdeep.

Last edited:

Azurewraith

Explorer
[MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION] Just a quick one. I know you said no variants does that mean core books only or can we use SCAG provided its not labeled variant, I'm assuming UA is a no go

Remove ads