Ready Player One/Armada

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Read RP1 last summer. Enjoyed it, say 7/10. I'm from the era to get the references, but while I know it was the point, it was so heavy-handed with them that it got to be overdone. The bad-sack world was also too-bad-to-be-believed. Finally, moving to doing-something-in-RL was a bit hard to swallow, showing competencies that didn't make sense as "background skills" and hadn't been developed elsewhere.

Still enjoyable for all that and suitably epic.

Thinking about RP1, I think if i were in the OASIS I would have a star destroyer with a program running it ,so i wouldn't need a crew for my large ship needs followed up by something smaller like maybe an x-wing or a viper

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm also tired of stories about the adolescent "chosen one" who prevails against insurmoutable (sp?) odds and the evil organization.
I also tired of chosen one stories many years ago, but don't feel that RP1 fits into that category. There's no prophecy, no oracle or organization that chose the protagonist.

That said, I enjoyed the book as brain candy. I've also read Armada twice but can't remember a thing about it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think the protagonist was a bit too expert at specific things fairly constantly. Everything that came up, he had coincidentally either watched 100 times or played constantly for a year.

Remove ads