Ready Player One/Armada

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I just listened to the audiobook of Ready Player One from Ernest Cline, and his second novel, Armada.

The man loves his 80s video games. I grew up in the same era, but miss many of his references.

I enjoyed RP1 immensely. I honestly think that represents the near future of video gaming and VR. Not so much the real world aspect, but the VR is totally what we'll be doing in a few years. Using the PlayStation VR today, that world is just incremental improvements on what I did just today.

Armada. Not a sequel - it's own separate thing, though it shares the author's interest in VR and the 80s. Not a good second novel. I can't think of much to say about it. I hope his next is better.

Who's read either book? What did you think?

I just listened to the audiobook of Ready Player One from Ernest Cline, and his second novel, Armada.

The man loves his 80s video games. I grew up in the same era, but miss many of his references.

I enjoyed RP1 immensely. I honestly think that represents the near future of video gaming and VR. Not so much the real world aspect, but the VR is totally what we'll be doing in a few years. Using the PlayStation VR today, that world is just incremental improvements on what I did just today.

Who's read either book? What did you think?

When you started posting about the PlayStation VR,my first thought was I'll wait for the OASIS. I haven't read Armada yet. I do believe that he is working on a squeal to RP1.

Similar experience here. Loved RP1. The whole Tomb of Horrors --> Joust sequence was a total nostalgia trip.

I couldn't believe how bad Armada was. Yikes.

Jhaelen

First Post
I read RP1 and I thought it was merely 'okay'. I didn't think it was particularly well written and also didn't find the story very compelling. The one good thing about it was the feeling of nostalgia it evoked. But I'm really not in a hurry to read any other novels by the same author.

I quite enjoyed RPO. Like many, it hits my age and demographic with just the right touch of nostalgia. Armada was enjoyable, but I think whereas RPO used familiar tropes in a new story, Armada's story used those same tropes to tell a familiar story, if that makes any sense.

I totally am hoping the Acererak Joust sequence makes it into the movie.

For those looking for a similar hit of nostalgia, albeit a bit more restrained, I'd heartily recommend Finn Fancy Necromancy, by Randy Henderson.

RP1 was a [...] nostalgia trip

Indeed it was, and that's why I found it tiresome to get through. My views on nostalgia are perfectly represented by South Park's latest season with its member berries.

I'm also tired of stories about the adolescent "chosen one" who prevails against insurmoutable (sp?) odds and the evil organization.

AR

Remove ads