Class (new Doctor Who spinoff)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Saw the first episode yesterday and have the second recorded.

I'm not sure what to make of it yet. It's not for kids - while the cast are all teenagers, it's more adult than Doctor Who.

Anyone else catch it this weekend?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've not heard of either of those things! I heard it described as a British Buffy. Not sure I agree - it's not as comedic. Same age group though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
You've not heard of Skins? Must be the wrong demographic :). Skins is a UK show now its in 7th season about the dysfunctional lives of a 6th form class from Bristol. It explores the typical mix of parties, drug use, mental illness, teen sexuality and A-levels.It reminds me of Misfits without the super powers.

Powers of Matthew Star is an 80's show about an psychic alien Prince and his guardian who are hiding out in an American High School while dodging alien assassins and Military investigators.

Ryujin

Legend
It has possibilities, but the actors are going to have to grow into their roles. It's in danger of becoming formulaic with the cast consisting of a jock (with a problem), a brain, a (possibly) pansexual alien (hence my reference to Torchwood), and a tough guy (woman). If all they do is fill those roles then it's not going to come off, IMO. Updated "Breakfast Club" with aliens, but without the soundtrack.

On the other hand if they grow beyond their labels, I think the show has some possibilities. For example if the Jock's problem forces him to grow beyond his privilege, rather than just caving in on himself, that could be an interesting storyline.

Remove ads