Map Making Advice Needed

Clefton Twain

First Post
So, I wrote a book. Actually, two books, and the third has been started.

I am almost ready to publish the first book but I have one thing standing in the way--a map of the realm. I am truly not an artist and cannot draw to save my life, so I am throwing this out there for advice.

What software do you prefer to draw overland maps? Mine is going to be a black and white map and will not have a ton of granular detail, but I want it to be somewhat in the style of, say, the map from the Lord of the Rings books--a little aged.

I have looked a little at Campaign Cartographer and I'm pretty sure it could do the job but, seeing as how I have zero experience in this area (I work with words, not pixels), I could use a little guidance.

Thank you!

--CT

Janx

Hero
hire an artist.

I'm about 3/5 of the way through my first book, and am contemplating things like book covers and websites. Even though I could build the website myself, I'm still considering hiring somebody to do it.

Because presentation matters.

This is one area, where I can make it work, but I need it to look good.

Don't skimp out.

PS. by all means try your hand at it. That will make it easier to convey what you want done to the artist.

Clefton Twain

First Post
I did hire an artist--months ago. He still hasn't done anything on it, so my question was really pertaining to "Can I do this myself and what tool is best?"

I only need one map, done once, for all three (or four) books.

--CT

Janx

Hero
That sounds like a different problem. seems like you can recall the contract and bid it out again. I know there's a regular on here who does maps and stuff.

For the DIY, since you may have to go that path, study as many maps as you can, see what's been done in books, particularly, as the constraints are higher than what an RPG map might do. look at how they do trees, mountains. A lot of times, it's a patternable technique.

Then, draw it out yourself. See how it goes. Do a remake after the first one.

It might be that simple as a line drawing map (what Tolkiens was if I recall).

Then switch over to the PC and Campaign Cartographer. By then, you'll have a good handle on the details of your map and won't miss things because you've drawn them at least twice.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Do you have a publisher, or are you self-publishing? A lot of places have in-house artists or will contract one to do covers/illustrations/maps/etc...
Be careful who you choose to go with, though, because a lot of those "self"-publishing places take a big chunk of the profit in exchange for the services (printing, art, marketing, etc.) they provide.

Here's what you do: You draw the map on real paper. You take inspiration from map iconography that you like. And really, you don't have to be a gifted artist to draw a good looking black and white map. Then you scan the thing into Photoshop (or any other proper art program), and use that to clean it all up, and to copy paste some of the art.

Take for example the classic map of Treasure Island. None of this requires extraordinary art skills. Keep it simple.

Clefton Twain

First Post
I am self-publishing. I got tired of the whole agent/publisher business. Also, I figured that this was a great way to help out a friend--he could do a simple map for me and I'd throw some cash his way.

Man, I just wish I could draw even stick figures! :)

--CT

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases