Anthony Valterra breaks his silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Ronald

Explorer
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by William Ronald
Thanks, Eric!!

(I think this thread should be mentioned on the front page.)

Okay, another question for Mr. Valterra.

Ryan Dancey recently mentioned where he believes the OGL will go in the near future. What are you thoughts on his views and where do you see the OGL and the D20 movement going in the next few years?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Way, way, way big subject. I will likely write up an entire position statement like Ryan's. Way to big to cover here late at night.

I am looking forward to the position statement. I hope you will include some reflections on what the OGL and D20 movement has achieved since its inception. Any thoughts on the accomplishments at WotC during your tenure and what you wish the company might have done differently? (I know a lot of people here grumbled about errors in the first printing of Sword and Fist)

Obviously, prejudice against gaming still exists. Of course, I believe that knowledge and reasoned discussion are effective tools in fighting prejudice of many sorts. Do you think some of the leading game writers and publishers might want to work on a project to better educate people.

For those who might need a little help in defending the hobby, you might want to visit The Escapist, a roleplaying advocacy website.

seasong, I agree with your points on the press release. Active voice would have helped the press release. Your other points were also right on the mark. (I never spent much time considering Conan's prowess, except in overcoming obstacles. As for Arwen, when I first read the Lord of the Rings, I was impressed with the thought that someone would chose love over immortality and eternal youth. From what AV has said, it looks like love will also be explored in the BoEF. )

Last edited:

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
William Ronald said:

As for Arwen, when I first read the Lord of the Rings, I was impressed with the thought that someone would chose love over immortality and eternal youth. From what AV has said, it looks like love will also be explored in the BoEF. )

Am I the only one who didn't even think about Arwen when reading LOTR? I kept getting her and Eowyn mixed up and frankly since neither one of them went to Moria, I didn't think they were that essential :)

(Of course now that I'm older and wiser, I appreciate all the nuances of LOTR).

Wolv0rine

First Post
Very offended, but still 100% IMO

Okay, okay. Up until a few minutes ago I thought this was just so much seriously overblown hype over a titilation sex-themed book. Fairly silly, not to be taken seriously, and cute to smile about in a bemused fashion because of the knee-jerk reaction it makes.

But I just followed the link to Mr. Safford's website, and my mind is entirely changed.

In my personal opinion, it is sick and wrong to use that individual's work in any corner of the gaming field if it bears even the faintest whiff of the thematic elements found on his webpage. And if his work in the BoEF does not bear a thematic similarity to the work on his page, then it was irresponsible of you to have included that link. That soars past "Adult" without so much as a glance, and flies right on into twisted and disturbed.

Many may feel I'm being too harsh. To those I say, I've been typing this response now for the better part of an hour and a half, I have written it and re-written it over a dozen times now, each time reigning myself in more, and this is what I have left. Go and view the photographer's website (if you are at LEAST 18, and have not eaten recently) and form your own conclusion.

My opinion? The book doesn't *sound* to have anything offensive textually in the least, and it amazes me that anyone who doesn't think their 12 year old will be getting 6 copies might think so. On the other hand, if the work provided by Mr. Safford in the book is even vaguely thematically similar to the work on his own site -- not only would I never consider buying it, I wouldn't game with anyone who had. Based solely on that webpage.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Re: Very offended, but still 100% IMO

Wolv0rine said:
In my personal opinion, it is sick and wrong to use that individual's work in any corner of the gaming field if it bears even the faintest whiff of the thematic elements found on his webpage.
Actually, there are a number of themes found in Hypnotix's site. He's already discussed the nature of the artwork for BoEF on the boards at AC's site.

Generally, each of the sets on his site were collaborative, meaning the models in the images were as much a part of establishing how each set would be photographed (and what they would contain) as he was.

I would expect the imagery in BoEF to be fitting to the subject matter.

Wolv0rine

First Post
Re: Re: Very offended, but still 100% IMO

Bendris Noulg said:
Actually, there are a number of themes found in Hypnotix's site. He's already discussed the nature of the artwork for BoEF on the boards at AC's site.

Generally, each of the sets on his site were collaborative, meaning the models in the images were as much a part of establishing how each set would be photographed (and what they would contain) as he was.

I would expect the imagery in BoEF to be fitting to the subject matter.

If so, that's cool. I tried to include enough "if"s to maintain that I might have been working under false presumptions about the nature of his work in the book. Like I said, I admit that what his thing is isn't my business, I just feel that sort of thing would be crass and unprofessional to put into a gamebook,were that the case.
Thanks for pointing out the AC's forum thing, btw. By the time I had read the news release, followed a link or two, and ended up at the photographer's portfolio, I completely forgot to read their forums (which I had intended to do).

kenjib

First Post
ValterraFromHome said:

2) Gwen is spot on. Yes, the press release emphasised the more controversial aspects. Was that an error? I'm still debating it internally. I will say this - it was my first press release - I'm just glad I didn't mispell the name of my own company.;)

Hello Anthony and thank you for taking the time to discuss this openly with us. I really appreciate it.

1. Was this emphasis on the controversial aspects an intentional attempt to stir up free publicity by representing (only implicitly of course) the product as something more than it is? If so, was it done because of the possible beneficial effect this same type of marketting (whether intentional or not) had on sales of the Book of Vile Darkness?

2. I've seen a reference, I think on Andy Collins' board, to more variety in the body types of the models, but I don't clearly recall. Is the goal of the artwork to represent a more realistic image of men's and women's bodies or will it take a more idealized approach (some might say cheesecake/beefcake)?

3. Your press release states that "Valar Project, Inc. will be the first company to take on the subject of sex in the world of elves and
dragons." How does this relate to others such as Mongoose's book, Nymphology?

4. Will the overall art direction style be more edgy or traditional? Lots of black leather and buckles? Chainmail bikinis?

Good luck on your new venture and thanks again for your time!

-Kenji

jdavis

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Very offended, but still 100% IMO

Wolv0rine said:

If so, that's cool. I tried to include enough "if"s to maintain that I might have been working under false presumptions about the nature of his work in the book. Like I said, I admit that what his thing is isn't my business, I just feel that sort of thing would be crass and unprofessional to put into a gamebook,were that the case.
Thanks for pointing out the AC's forum thing, btw. By the time I had read the news release, followed a link or two, and ended up at the photographer's portfolio, I completely forgot to read their forums (which I had intended to do).

I wonder how many people have followed that link and had the same reaction? While that might not be a fair example of the pictures for this book I'm sure it caused alot of confusion for a lot of people. I didn't find the photographer's site all that bad but I can understand where a lot of people would. A link to a couple of example pictures from the book instead of the photographer's website may of been more informative in this case.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Hi Tony, a few questions for you:

1. Will the BoEF include naked undead vampire elf babes with spikey bits?:p

With the silliness out of the way...

2. To what degree will the book deal with rape, abuse, and other forms of sexual predation?

3. Will the book deal with pregnancy termination, both induced and spontaneous?

4. Will sex laws be dealt with?

5. Sexual customs?

6. How will STDs be addressed?

7. Medical and magical treatments for same?

8. What about sexually related spells, paranormal abilities, and magical devices?

9. Sex in fertility festivals, holidays, and worship?

More as I think of them.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Re: Re: Re: Re: Very offended, but still 100% IMO

jdavis said:
I wonder how many people have followed that link and had the same reaction?

I can tell you that I found it repulsive and upsetting. I'm not exagerating when I say that, during the 2 minutes I spent looking at that site, I nearly puked more than once. Between that website and the press release, I had determined that the BOEF was not something I would ever consider buying, and just like WolvOrine, I wouldn't want to spend time with anyone who had.

Then Gwen showed up and described the book as something quite different, which might actually have broad appeal.

So Anthony, I know it was your first press release, but you might want to tone the future ones down, lest you alienate more customers than you attract. And please don't include links to images like that without a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads