[Nov 2016] What Are You Reading?

delericho

Legend
Still finishing up "Morgawr" by Terry Brooks. Sadly, I'm not enjoying it.

I'm also nearing the end of "Tome of Beasts", which is excellent. I'll do a review once I'm finished.

Next up is "The Little Prince", and then the fifth Spelljammer novel.

Richards

Legend
I'm filling some gaps in my "Sano Ichiro" series by Laura Joh Rowland, starting with the second novel, Bundori. Sano Ichiro is the equivalent of a detective in 17th-century Japan, this time trying to solve the mystery of who's responsible for a series of beheadings. I wasn't sure when I bought it whether I had read i before as a library book, but it doesn't seem like it.

Anyway, it's awesome, as is the whole series (there are nearly 20 thus far, I believe; I had most of the first dozen and now have the first fourteen).

Johnathan

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Dingo: The story of our mob, by Sally Dingo

Published in 1997 its a really interesting look at the complex workings of an aboriginal family in 'modern Australia'. Sally was a typical white Australian girl who married Aboriginal actor Ernie Dingo and in doing so becomes aware of the story of three generations of his family. It gives a suprising insight into how Yamatji view their home, isolated wastelands to most and yet suprisingly abundant to those who understand it. It also spans the transition from traditional lifestyles, through colonisation, the establishment of whitefella sheep stations on traditional territories, the resulting racism and the various policies of the white fella society and the long lasting repercussions on aboriginal people from the displacement from their land, families and culture.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Currently reading Cheshire,Fifoot and Furmston law of contract by Michael Furmston.

I'm still yet to figure out where the plot is going, the characters are numerous and undeveloped and its a bit wordy in places I wouldn't recommended it

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I finished The Left Hand of Darkness. I wasn't wowed even if everything sounded great with this novel.

Now I'm gonna read Lord of the Flies.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Dr. DOA by Simon Green IIRC. Pretty good book, as are all of the other Secret History books I've read.

The 4th Alcatraz book by Brandon Sanderson, read a chapter a night at bedtime to my son. Very enjoyable.

I've also started 8-10 books from the new SF/fantasy section in my local library and quit them all before finishing because they were crap. Whoever picks this stuff need to be fired.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finishing the long mars, which I checked out of the library, but had to return before I finished while moving across the country....then probably volos guide...then probably the light fantastic.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Rereading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I love heavily mythic books, like much of Tim Powers, and this works well for me. Plus some of the turns of phrase are just fantastic. And not in the "I polished this opening 30 times" but just little throw-away lines that are sheer genius.

Remove ads