[Nov 2016] What Are You Reading?

Richards

Legend
I'm now reading Red Chrysanthemum by Laura Joh Rowland. This is where I left off originally in the Sano Ichiro series, and it's taking me a bit of time to recall where the character's life is at now that I'm done finishing the older novels I had missed. But it's already intriguing, only two chapters in.

Johnathan

Congrats on the 15 years! A cruise sounds a wonderful way to celebrate. The guard books are probably my favorite of the Discworld series, with The Fifth Elephant probably my top book of the whole series.

Went on a 11 day cruise for our 15 year wedding anniversary. I'm an early riser and my wife and kids ... are not, so I got in a lot of relaxing reading outside in perfect weather. :)

Finished American Gods. Very good and I love his writing style. I brought with me four more books (had more ordered from Amazon but they didn't arrive on time).

I have to admit that I am negligent in reading much of our late beloved Sir Terry Pratchett. So I brought with me the first three guards books: "Guards, Guards", "Men at Arms" and "Feet of Clay". Delightful, though not as HGttG-esqe aburd-wacky as I remember the Rincewind books being way back when. Still quite solid.

Jhaelen

First Post
Yesterday, I finished Liu Cixin's trilogy. 'Death's End' is definitely a worthy conclusion and cannot be called anything less than epic. It greatly expands the scope of the story and features plenty of intriguing thought experiments that challenge our understanding of the universe. Whether it's dealing with n-dimensional objects or manipulating cosmic constants, the author manages to describe the effects vividly. In hindsight it's really a sci-fi masterpiece, even though I'm reluctant to share the author's apparently rather pessimistic world view.

Finished A Canticle for Leibowitz - definitely thought-provoking, with a harrowing ending. Now I'm re-reading Fahrenheit 451, which I did read for a class, many years ago.

Richards

Legend
And now I've started the last of my recent "Sano Ichiro" samurai mysteries, this one called The Fire Kimono. I'll be on a plane for a good chunk of tomorrow, so I anticipate getting a lot of reading done.

Johnathan

I finished my Fahrenheit 451 re-read. Maybe doing it back-to-back with a Canticle for Leibowitz was a bit much. But dang, was it an amazing read. Frightfully prescient.

Now I’m on to something a bit lighter with Maas’ Throne of Glass.

Jhaelen

First Post
Today I started with 'Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen', the latest installment in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga. It's still too early to say anything more about it, though.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Today I started with 'Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen', the latest installment in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga. It's still too early to say anything more about it, though.

I'd be interested in your thoughts when done.

Remove ads