D&D 5E Familiars and AoEs...

faria

First Post
Familiars have crap HP. There's no way they can survive a single AoE at mid and high levels. Even at low levels they'll probably die.

Doesn't this significantly nerf Pact of the Chain Warlocks? One dragon breath and they're reduced to a less-useful Wizard.

Is there a good way to keep Familiars alive when facing enemies with AoE abilities or spells?

darlawilson87

First Post
Re-read the Familar rules. They all have Improved Evasion (half damage from area attacks on a failed save, no damage at all on a sucessful one) for this specific reason. Unless the Wizard will die fom one failed save the Familiar sure won't.

So, to answer, they keep them alive by following the rules. :)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It's a bigger issue for mounts, who don't have Improved Evasion. Warhorse has 19 HPs. Die ALL. THE. TIME.

And thanks to things like Find Steed saying "DM *may*" instead of documenting anything and also having no prices for advanced mounts in the PHB to purchase, any AL game out there kills the entire archetype of mounted knights.

cooperjer

Explorer
I'm going to propose rethinking the approach a warlock might have when a dragon is involved. I feel the warlock is the rogue of the caster classes. What I mean by that is, a core concept is that seek and steel knowledge of spells and arcane arts. That does imply they would come into contact with a dragon, but I would think they would know far in advance where the dragon rests and its habits. The warlock, would be wise to distract the dragon, hide from the dragon, or otherwise never be face to face with a dragon. I'm not familiar with the pact of the chain warlock all that much, but I would bet they have skills or features available that allows them to avoid combat rather than be stuck in it.

Koloth

First Post
Welcome to the great pet,familiar, mount, etc disconnect in D&D type games. A lot of archetype fantasy character concepts depend on the character having one or more critters around. Mage's familiar, Ranger's companion, Paladin's mount to name a few. Yet these critters often die fast and often once combat starts. Doesn't even take AOE. Magic Missile is a great familiar killer in earlier versions of the game. And the loss of the familiar often imparted long term serious disadvantages to the Mage. Later versions limited the dead familiar penalty but it would seem the Familiar's Union would at some point lodge a protest over the high death rate.

And Mounts and D&D are a joke. A couple of kobolds with short bows can take out a 20th level Fighter's standard horse. Not sure how critter drawn caravans ever get anywhere. One attack by monsters or thieves and half the mounts are worm food.

Part of the problem is the way HP are handled in D&D type games. The characters get fairly rapid HP increases via leveling and further benefit from AC increases due to stat improvements, leveling(for some classes), and equipment. Yet the critters are often stuck with their starting HP. So while a 1st level Fighter may have similar HP to a basic mount, the 10th level Fighter could well have 8 to 10 times more. So any viable threat to the Fighter renders the mount a pile of goo.

One off the cuff solution is to have mounts, familiars and other character related critter receive HP corresponding to the level of the characters. Mount of 1st level character gets(don't have my books handy) say 1d8+5. The mount of a 5th level character gets 5d8+25. That way the critters have about the same chance to survive an attack as the character does. This "mount HP effect" is a function of the character not the mount. So if a 10th lvl char trades his mount to a 1st lvl char, the mount goes back to a 1d8+5 mount.

Another option is have characters pay a 'critter leveling' cost to increase a mount or other critter's HP. Cost could vary according to wealth in the game. So a 1st lvl mount might cost 10gp while a 10th lvl mount might be 1000 gp or in a high gold game 10,000gp.

ccs

41st lv DM
All you have to do to get your familiar back is cast Find Familiar again.

Personally this is only the most minor of inconveniences. But then I don't often use my familiar as a combatant. If I know combat is iminant? I have it get the heck out of the way. It's often lurking about within 50' or so acting as an extra set of eyes in case of more foes trying to join the fight. Sometimes it gets sent to do something while we PCS distract the foe.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases