Pathfinder 1E Converting 5E monsters to Pathfinder

solamon77

Explorer
I'm sure this had to be covered elsewhere before, but I can't seem to find it.

Basically, I'm wondering what steps others have taken to convert 5E monsters to their Pathfinder campaign?

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Hi, I believe that it could be a pain.
I play both games and I believe that every 5th Ed monster exist in a bestiary. Except those with copyright. In that case you could refer to the 3rd era monster manuals/fiend folio/etc. It is easier to bring a monster from 3rd Ed than from 5th.
I'm not an expert but maybe 95% or more 5th Ed monsters have their 3rd Ed stats.
I believe you can go from 3rd/pf to 5th but not the way back (or not so properly). If you can't find a specific book or can't find a specific monster I happily will help you to convert it.

I've done some basic conversions of monsters from from 3X/PF to 5th, but only the attack bonuses and saving throws and skills, when necessary (leaving almost everything else as is).

Going from 5th to 3rd, would be harder. Creatures with natural armor would need a lot more added to compensate for the PF/3X BAB's. Proficiency bonuses from saves would likely needed to be converted to PF/3X levels (IIRC, subtract two, multiply the result by one-half hit dice, then add two back for the saves the monster is proficient in). Attack bonuses would need to be converted. Ability scores would need increased, in some cases (especially when the score is 20 or more).

It would be some work to do an accurate conversion.

Remove ads