Debate: Melee/Unarmed combat Versus Ranged Combat?

Blockader7

First Post
What type of combat oriented character do you prefer? Melee or ranged?

Personally I prefer melee/unarmed characters. First of all, I love being really strong and able to break an evil dragon's neck with my bare hands. There's nothing so satisfying than that. It's up close and personal where these types have the most advantages.

Sure, they can have difficulties getting to a sniper with a huge long bow or powerful rifle, but up close a ranged based character will more than likely not be able to stand up to a melee/unarmed combat based character.

Thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:

Th' Shroud'd One

First Post
An acquaintance does enjoy melee rang'd combat.
He has also been wanting to give the 'crunchy' bits out for awhile now on some of my 'novels'. The powers involv'd in this class are 99% melee range. I shall inform him of this thread.

Long range is my prefer'd method, spell throwers and missile weapons in that order.

I believe Hagy also has a few 'class templates' or 'prestige templates' for spell casters. He may not post them though... 'more theory than practice' he said about them.

As for rang'd not stacking up to a pure melee is true. Though two fighters, one melee and one rang'd of equal level, really are design'd for different things.

Melee is melee and rang'd makes a more than adequate spell caster 'meat' shield.

Though a long range char should think three dimensionally as much as possible.

Let me mull what I have written and maybe I shall improve upon what I have hastily put down.

Garmorn

Explorer
I prefer mixed fighters. For example one that carries both a Comp Longbow and a Bastard sword. Alternating between melee and missile feats each time he gets one.

Give me a lot more flexibility and does not put me at a major disadvantage in any common situation.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I think there is a higher potential for "munchiness" with archer characters. There are several advantages to using a bow, especially if you already have front-line characters in a group.

Blockader7

First Post
The problem is certain situations would hinder the front-line archers. For example, in tight corridors or very close combat or adverse weather conditions such as fog or spells that hamper vision.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I personally prefer melee combat over ranged. Theres little risk in firing from a distance. Give me a strong warrior type and I'm happy.

Norfleet

First Post
I prefer ranged, but ONLY if it has sufficient stopping power. The moment I see it as ineffective, the point at which a single opponent can begin at maximum range and survive to reach melee mostly intact, I ditch it like a sack of wet mice. Ranged is worthless if it has no stopping power, and there's nothing I find more distasteful than something that is useless.

Th' Shroud'd One

First Post
When in rome use their log in...

Here are the crunchy bits tSO mentioned:

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50068

Sort of a foil to a monk originally. Has not been tested, so do not hammer me to much.

I like melee. I roughed out a dwarf decked out in CON and ALL feats are based on the Toughness line (Masters of the Wild)... I just want to enjoy the novelty of it.

Otherwise straight fighter, human, melee primed w/ ranged weapons being hand thrown (shortest distance... 'let us see those whites').

RC Hagy
Vermont

shilsen

Adventurer
No preference. Each is entertaining in its own right and requires different kinds of strategy to be effective, so I like to switch between the two.

Plus it depends on the character concept. If I'm creating a foppish bard who thinks getting one's hands dirty in melee combat is for fools and ruffians, then he'll use primarily ranged weapons. And if I'm creating a foppish bard who thinks nothing looks cooler than flashy rapier-work while dropping corny one-liners, then he'll mainly be in melee.

Obviously it's all about the foppish bards :)

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Must fill this space

Melee definitely but I like being able to hit before-hand with spear, axe or dagger. It gives an impression of furious battle and shows you are taking the enemy seriously by trying to weaken them early.

It also reminds me or the Greeks who would exchange spears in turn and if alive, clash with short blades.

Bows are currently twinked with the double enhancement rot and I am suffering from too much Legolas.;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases