[OD&D] [OOC] Paths of Legend: To Rule in Hell

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Welcome back, Kiriya. Still in an Old-School mood, I see. :)

I'm thinking of playing Narasha of the Green, which I see evolving into more of a witch-like character in the future... Once a warrior of renown, hero of the battle of three armies, the middle-aged widow of six was crippled in battle and now serves as the company's hard-eyed quartermaster/mundane healer. Cleric class, since magic-user is already covered... and it might give some interresting possible link with Azylik later on? Wields the Gnarled Cane of Judgment (AKA a mace :)).

What do you think?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
What level? First? Or is it starting higher? What kind of alignment system are you using? Basic? (Good/Neutral/Evil)? Or Complex? (LG/LN/LE, NG,TN,NE, CG,CN,CE)?

Is there a such thing as "too many magic-users"? (I really wanna play a mage! lol.)

I was thinking of an Elven Mage, who isn't really evil, per se, just very rules-oriented / harsh punishments supporting (In complex terms, Lawful Evil; think "Neighborhood Organizer," but instead of empowering people to band together for self-improvement, this guy organizes people under a tribute-for-protection system, sort of the way the mafia works, only some of the more promising and effective of his minions might be candidates for promotion within his little "organization," lol.)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Woot! Lotsa people. :D

Regarding alignment - Just Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic.

Regarding unfamiliarity with this edition - Don't even worry about it. Got ya covered.

Regarding ability scores - If you don't have any rolls over 13, go ahead and reroll once...unless you are doing the 3d6 method. ;)

Let me know if I missed anything. A more detailed character creation post will be coming soon (and will be edited in to the first post).

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Woot! Lotsa people. :D

Regarding alignment - Just Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic.

Regarding unfamiliarity with this edition - Don't even worry about it. Got ya covered.

So if I play "Lawful" will I be seen as the "good guy"? What I mean is, there are lots of "law-followers" who are evil, including all of the creatures of the Nine Hells, because the laws that they follow are cruel, and often unfair.

I started out playing BECMI in 1982 (Tom Moldvay's red cover Basic D&D book, with the Erol Otus artwork depicting a party taking on a Green Dragon.)
Is OD&D drastically different from that? (I've never seen the "White Box" rules.) ---Your comment about unfamiliarity threw me for a loop, lol. All I said was "What's the starting level?"---Am I to assume there are no levels in OD&D?

Not trying to nit-pick, just trying to gain a clear understanding. B-)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Derp...missed the level question.

Starting Level is 1.

I'm using a lot of house rules that are inspired by BECMI to make OD&D playable so if you are familiar with BECMI, you shouldn't have any problems.

The ideas of good and evil are still very nebulous things in this era so a Lawful character might be perceived as "good" by those who respect law but they may, in fact, be very nefarious.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Ok, Here We Go.

Ok, I just went back and read my Mentzer (Don't have Moldvay version on PDF) BECMI PDF (Alignment section) and I think I'm going to play Neutral; here's my justification:

BECMI Page 55 said:
"...A Neutral character is most interested in personal survival. Such characters believe in their own wits and abilities rather than luck. They tend to return the treatment they receive from others. Neutral characters will join a party if they think it is in their own best interest, but will not be overly helpful unless there is some sort of profit in it. Neutral behavior may be considered "good" or "evil" (or neither), depending on the situation."

Thus, someone who is Neutral would follow rules that benefit themselves, and not necessarily others. I could imagine such a character having his own set of rules, or "code of ethics," that might not really be ethical at all, ha ha. A real mercenary sort of fellow, who might have a contract for you to sign (full of loopholes, and special exemptions, of course.) :D

I used https://rolz.org to roll my dice. It's reliable, and it logs time and date for all die rolls. I used the Dice Room labeled PathsOfLegend to make my rolls. You can see that I created the room, and you can look at the log and see that those rolls were the first and only rolls I made. If you or I or someone else goes back later to that Dice Room, those rolls will still be there, and further rolls by anyone else will also be logged and recorded. You can use the LOG function in the right-hand window to go back and review time and date of rolls. As long as I always use this room for my rolls, there's no way for me to cheat. Anything I do gets recorded. :D

My rolls for stats were: 9,10,12,13,11,15. (4d6, drop lowest.)

I will arrange them as follows:

STR 9 (+0)
INT 15 (+1)
WIS 12 (+0)
DEX 11 (+0)
CON 13 (+1)
CHA 10 (+0)

As I said before, I'd like to play an Elf Magic-User. :D

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Oh, wait. Are you doing the thing with High Pre-Reqs for an XP bonus? If so, I might need to swap my numbers around. Or you can do it for me, if ya like :D

Remove ads