Optimizing Volo PC races

RCanine

First Post
If it's an unarmed strike, it synergizes, and there's no reason for them to be the exception given they could of just gone the route of the Aarakocra.

Well, Volo's says it's an unarmed strike that does 1d6+Strength mod piercing or 1d4+Strength mod slashing.

I think a DM could right (but lame) to declare you get either the Martial Arts benefit or the racial, and cannot max-and-match them — like how AC calculations work.

The wording doesn't clarify how these interactions work, so while it's clear how players want it to work, no one can use RAW as a club on this one; you'll need to talk to your DM.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Well, Volo's says it's an unarmed strike that does 1d6+Strength mod piercing or 1d4+Strength mod slashing.

I think a DM could right (but lame) to declare you get either the Martial Arts benefit or the racial, and cannot max-and-match them — like how AC calculations work.

The wording doesn't clarify how these interactions work, so while it's clear how players want it to work, no one can use RAW as a club on this one; you'll need to talk to your DM.
I fail to see how a DM could argue that point successfully.

'When you use your attack action to make an attack with a monk weapon or Unarmed Strike, you may use your bonus action to make an attack with your Unarmed Strike.'
'When you make an attack with a monk weapon or Unarmed Strike, you may instead use your martial arts damage die.'

zaratan

First Post
Tabaxi with boots of speed will get spped x3 or x4?

Aasimar with sentinel feat looks awesome, with the barbarian option in the new UA too

Hobgoblin wizard with spell sniper and whip for booming blade. If he get some Cha, would be a great sorlock.
Bugbear rogue with spell sniper for booming blade looks good too.
Kobouts and goblins looks like great archers to me

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

RulesJD

First Post
Tabaxi with boots of speed will get spped x3 or x4?

Aasimar with sentinel feat looks awesome, with the barbarian option in the new UA too

Hobgoblin wizard with spell sniper and whip for booming blade. If he get some Cha, would be a great sorlock.
Bugbear rogue with spell sniper for booming blade looks good too.
Kobouts and goblins looks like great archers to me

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

That doesn't work how you think it does. It's not Sneak Attack. It's limited to once on "your turn" not once "per turn". So you don't get the extra damage on Sentinel strikes.

zaratan

First Post
That doesn't work how you think it does. It's not Sneak Attack. It's limited to once on "your turn" not once "per turn". So you don't get the extra damage on Sentinel strikes.

True, I was thinking in radiant comsumption, just to avoid enemies move away, but is only in the end of aasimar's turn too.

Zipster

Explorer
Is it just me, or am I missing Bugbear, Yuanti, Hobgoblins, minotaurs and other races mentioned here as playable races in Volo?

And, why has no one mentioned the Kenko? Sorry - I'm just having too much fun thinking of a Kenko bard...

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Is it just me, or am I missing Bugbear, Yuanti, Hobgoblins, minotaurs and other races mentioned here as playable races in Volo?

And, why has no one mentioned the Kenko? Sorry - I'm just having too much fun thinking of a Kenko bard...

Chapter 2: Character Races

Page 118: Monstrous Adventurers - Bugbear, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold, Orc, and Yaun-Ti

RCanine

First Post
I personally think Yuan-to Pureblood is a great race for Moon druid.

Bugbears feel OP to me. They're a great fit for most melee classes without any creativity involved.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases