Is a game store necessary?

Jack R. Short

First Post
Hi,
I am running a restaurant in Toronto. In order to increase the customer traffic, I'm planning out few things. Would like to get your suggestions for that. First I thought of starting a game store in front of the shop in order to increase the customer traffic and satisfaction. Is it a good idea? Have anyone done that before? This idea was lit up because, I thought it will attract many local customers as well. I would like to know your opinion on this. Does there exist any formalities to create one? Is Pokemon a good try? Or if someone have any other idea, let me know.
Another thing which cam into my mind to have a sign board in front of the show. So that the customers can know the timings and the details of the dishes as well. Also, if we go for the game store, it would be better to provide the details of it too. What is your suggestion? I read an article https://www.newstylesigns.com/blog/best-signs/design-tips-creating-eye-catching-signs/ last day, which share the tips to create one eye catchy sign board.
Hope to get expert advice from here. If possible, provide the details of the current trending games as well. Somehow, need to do something real quick. Hope to have a profitable and enjoyable environment around. Any suggests are highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Janx

Hero
actual board games take awhile to play, so that means people sitting there longer, drinking refills, well past the point of making more sales off them because they are full.

Or, as one of my business partners has commented (given that he used to be a chef and owned like 4 restaurants), it's starts to become a 3 ring circus when a restaurant starts trying more gimics and events and activities to boost sales, rather than focus on what restaurants' core function is: to cook and serve good food.

If you were going to add "gaming", in the times I've seen it, it's been more at coffee/tea houses, where the usage of the tables for studying/etc is considered normal. And mostly, you wouldn't host a specific game, so much as maybe have a shelf of games to borrow or people would just decide to bring one in, I certainly wouldn't focus on a "child's game" like Pokemon unless you want to be overrun with children, half of whom don't have extra money.

I have seen a game shop in my area that runs a tab-system. So as you game, you can buy some dice, a coke, candybar and they'll throw it on your tab so you don't have to stop playing to buy it.

So running a gaming room like a bar (or restaurant) might work, but consider it's more like a bar than a fine dining experience.

Nagol

Unimportant
Every retail environment requires certain revenue per square foot to remain in operation. A restaurant typically gets this revenue by effectively "renting" table space by charging for consumables like food.

Work out the operational costs and calculate the necessary "rent" per table.

How much "rent" is earned depends on three things: how much more the average table pays than the food costs, how many tables are in use, and how many uses each table provides in a day. The first is pretty set by menu and pricing and I won't address it further.

Putting a store in front of the restaurant attacks the second. How many tables are being surrendered? Are those tables likely to be empty anyway? Do you think store patrons are likely to fill empty tables in the restaurant? How much will the store cost to operate (staffing, inventory, and equipment)? How much revenue will the store generate? If the store costs at least as much as it will generate then it would only make sense if you feel the attraction of the store will increase patronage at the restaurant and the restaurant isn't running at the reduced table count capacity already.

Providing board games for patrons attacks the third. How much extra time will the average table take? Will the increase in extra time be compensated by filling vacant tables? How many fewer turnovers can be expected in a day? Will the games attract people to fill tables that would otherwise be empty?

Ryujin

Legend
There are at least two such places in the general area which could be used for models; See-Scape in Toronto and The Round Table in Guelph. Comic Warehouse, in Brampton, has a little diner/cafe in the front but it's really an afterthought, with the gaming and comic store in the back being the real draw.

Based on my limited experience I would say that you either combine the two concepts in the same space, or you don't bother. Putting a firewall between the gaming and the cafe means that neither thrive.

Azurewraith

Explorer
A steakhouse in my area only opened on a night they where doing ok, not great but doing well enough that they could pay the bills. They got greedy and opened during the day as a cafe shortly after they installed wifi and bought a couple PC's and tried a kind of "internet cafe" more come sit your kid here while you have a coffee or drink while you work. They went under shortly after.

Not sure if this story is helpful it just seemed relevant and may help you pull something from it.

I would say its bad idea. I know nothing about the area you live in but the idea of a restaurant is table turnover. from my in laws 40+ year experience

-agreed with posters above. Pokémon in a restaurant setting sounds like a disaster

-You have to ask yourself why am I not getting enough traffic. is there a competitor nearby selling the same product at a cheaper price with a better presentation. My guess is if you are looking to convert part of your store into a game area is that you a sub shop/takeout place. Tricks that i've seen(change up the menu, change the name (people are sometime willing to try a new place with new food so if you were selling subs then add breakfast etc.
if your heart is set on a gamestore then I would dedicate different hours to it such as nights (such as wednesday night games etc). Get the beer and wine crowd if you can.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
A number of years ago a comic book/gaming store in Baltimore moved locations and reopened as Spice and Dice--a comic/gaming store and a Thai restaurant combination. Now they separated the two businesses so they're next door to one another but they're separate entities. Maybe the shared store/restaurant space helped both sides get a foot up as they were building clientele. Maybe a focus on the quality of the restaurant (food, ambiance, following, etc.) is what allowed the restaurant to become independent and the store had no positive or negative impact. It might be worth reaching out to them to find out the lessons they learned from their experience.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases