Macgyver: Oopsies and spoilers

I only watched the opener of the first episode and I can tell you that the way he beat the palm scanner with dust was ludicrous, you can't block bullets with a cheap drink tray, you can't knock someone out by throwing a cheap drink tray like a frisbee, high quality digital headsets aren't fooled by a simple electromagnet, and boats don't explode like that when they crash.

All that stuff happened before the opening credits. That being said, I'll be watching a few more episodes soon. I would enjoy more realism in MacGuyver, but it's not a requirement.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I only watched the opener of the first episode and I can tell you that the way he beat the palm scanner with dust was ludicrous, you can't block bullets with a cheap drink tray, you can't knock someone out by throwing a cheap drink tray like a frisbee

obviously the cheap drink tray carried the weight of Narrative Cool

RedSiegfried

First Post
Now don't get me started on the misuse of Kevlar! :D
My favorite is in Terminator 2 when they throw some Kevlar vests on top of the kid while he is curled up in the back fo the truck and he is sprayed repeatedly with submachine gun fire and not only is every bullet stopped without any of the Kevlar even budging but he is completely unharmed by the impact. Oh, but they had the plates in, you say. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

Now, a liquid metal time travelling robot, that I could buy.

I think I'll have to start watching MacGyver. Maybe the old series where he foils a robbery in a grocery store by making tear gas grenades out of balloons and common household cleaning agents, or the time he created a metal cutting torch with filings from a bike frame.

Any program that can teach a kid how to make a workable zip gun is okay in my book. Now if I could just learn how to drive like the Duke boys, my 80s education would be complete.

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
As a spy for HM Government, I find the 007 movies with Daniel Craig totally unwatchable. The old ones with Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan were much closer to what the life is actually like.

RedSiegfried

First Post
As a 30th generation ninja, I have to wince whenever I watch Bruce Lee films. He obviously knows nothing at all about the super secret lost martial arts techniques of ancient Korea, as evidenced by the fact that he clearly cannot turn invisible, throw fireballs or raise himself from the dead with breath control like Jesus. The only accurate depiction I've seen in media ever would be The Master starring Lee Van Cleef which is clearly the inspiration for the excellent and historically accurate Steven Seagal films.

Sorry, I'll stop derailing now. :)

Remove ads