Imax and ABC Inhumans TV Series

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Disney|ABC Television Group today announced an innovative agreement to exclusively premiere the new Marvel's Inhumans TV series in IMAX commercial theatres coming Autumn 2017.

Apparently the series (8 episodes?) will explore the lives of Blackbolt and his Royal family and while thats an interesting concept, I'm not so much of an Inhumans fan and thus the expectation is still middling. Of course it does mean there will be no real 'Inhumans movie' and as the Movie and TV lines are increasingly being seperate it may isolate Blackbolt and co from the Cinema screen.

What does interest me though is the whole concept of Imax TV and the cross platform approach to storytelling which is being extended here via an Imax pilot to a TV series. Marvel has already given us a multiplatform shared universe where Big Movies,Youtube clips and TV blend to give an overall narrative and Imax investment in Disneys multi-platform production, distribution and marketing empire is perhaps a natural step. I for one look forward toseeing how this ans out and how it might evolve across the storytelling industry

SO what do you guys think of the announcement?

Janx

Hero
quotes like this "Since that time, they have grown in prominence and become some of the most popular and iconic characters in the Marvel Universe." make me want to ask who the author has been talking to.

Because if Iron Man was a "why they are bothering with that guy" to make a movie, the Inhumans are about 10 rungs lower than that.

And yes, they did an excellent job with Iron Man that catapulted that character to the top.

Granted, TV is probably a good format for these lesser known characters, see what they've done for Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. But hyperbole about "most popular and iconic" for a batch of characters that aren't Spiderman, X-Men or Avengers is really pushing believability.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
yep, the"most popular" quote had e balking too, which is why I was really surprised that they were even bothering to do a TV show for the Inhuman Royal Family at all. As oppose to say Power Pack or Cloak and Dagger and the Runaways who are surely 'more popular' than the Inhumans and still obscure!

Pretty much the only Inhumans I can think of is Blackbolt and the Dog, but I suppose they have to do something to fill the X-shaped gap

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
I'm sure Marvel can do a good job with it. I didn't know whop Jessica Jones was and they made that work well. But perhaps that also worked because they deliberately took some of NYC's little known heroes and made that be the point.

Here, it's like marketting has taken over and is trying to make it that the Inhumans have always been a big deal, when in many ways, they are not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases