GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar sits in the large chair to the right of the stairs. He is sitting sideways, one leg draped over the arm of the chair. He appears to be relaxed as he strums his lute, although he notices everything that occurs in the common room. An empty mug, and a plate containing an apple core, some bread crumbs and a bit of cheese sitting on the floor indicates he has already eaten breakfast.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
A new arrival in town.

GM:
9:30 am, Patchwall 12, CY 963.
Party well-rested.
Spells memorized.
Breakfast eaten.
Sitting in the common room of the Inn.

Merchant 001b.jpg

A heavy-set, jolly-demeanored man, dressed in a fine, maroon, cotton shirt, and well-kept, brown, leather breeches, who is also wearing a red and gold wool cape, and a brown, fur mantle, and sporting a nice-looking, silver chain necklace, and a maroon, wool cap with a white feather in the band, comes in, and sits down to order breakfast.

As he is ordering, he makes small chit-chat with the barmaid.

GM:
If anyone wants to overhear what he says to her, roll a listen check, DC 13.

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Listen Checks - Respen & Vale

Vale is across the room near the fireplace, having his hearty breakfast and stashing a little for Gus. He isn't close enough to hear the fat merry newcomer with the plumage.

Respen is closer, not enough for complete obvious nosiness, but certainly close enough for his Elven hearing assist him in hearing this new well-dressed and seemingly diplomatic (?) fellow's conversation.

OOC:
Rolz.org A1P1S3-CY963
AustThale37: Listen Check - Respen
AustThale37 rolls 1d20+9 = 14
AustThale37: Listen Check - Vale
AustThale37 rolls 1d20+3 = 10

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
The rest of the party (if interested) can announce their rolls in the OOC channel. We're using the honor system here; if you made your roll, click on the spoiler block below.

[sblock=What The Man Said] "...No, lass, I don't have any shell necklaces this time. I only have those when I'm lucky enough to visit the isle of Lendore. This time, I'm afraid I'm empty handed. I'm on my way to Kalmir to buy gemstones for a new line of bracelets I'm designing. So I'm heavy on coin, but little else. I'm looking to buy diamonds and such, so I can cash in on the latest fashion craze in Wintershiven; all the nobles up there are snapping up diamond-encrusted platinum bracelets, as fast as the jewelers can supply them. But on my way back, I'll make another trip to Lendore, just for you. Look for me to return this time next year."[/sblock]

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar observes the well dressed man but does not perceive him to be a threat, so he continues to play his lute, only this time a song comes to mind. Its an upbeat song, perfect for starting the morning.

"Lithely snakes the river, carving through the dale,
Swiftly moves the current, carrying adventure

Listen as the birds tell of good times past,
Watch the wind grace the leafy veil

Hear the bushes rustle, violence in their midst
The charging boar breaks the peaceful bliss

Tearing through the undergrowth, it flees a hunter's offense
Moving quickly to pursue, the huntsman presses to invade

Left and right, right and left, the pursuit tears the peaceful morn
The birds watch from above, the trees oblivious to the grounded storm

Adventure lies around the corner,
Adventure lies around the bend
If only you will find it, and press it 'till you win

Adventure swiftly meets us
Adventure charges by
If only you will grasp it, and take it on the fly

The boar swiftly runs, seeking shelter from the hunter's pike
The hunter keenly watches, seeking when to strike

With violence the hunter strikes true
But the boar is wiser and jukes the huntsman's pike

Adventure lies around the corner
Adventure lies around the bend
Sometimes you press it and don't win, a fleeting thing it is.

Adventure is still out there, hiding in the vale
The birds tell of great adventures past.
Seek adventure before your days are gone,
Adventure lies around the bend.
Adventure lies around the bend.

Pleased with his song, Sylvar continues to strum his lute. Waiting for the party to decide what the next source of adventure will be.

GM:
+250 xp. for writing such a catchy little ballad. Bravo! :D

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Supplemental Maps

GM:

I've had peeps asking about geography, so here's a supplemental post:

Kalmir is where Maxwell and Vale are from. It's just south of Verbobonc. (Three or four days, depending on mounts.)

Kalimbar Location 001c.jpg

If he's headed there, then he's buying his gems from the Dwarves.

Wintershiven, on the other hand, is FAR AWAY to the Northeast; ~1,170 miles. (39 hexes; each hex is 30 miles.)

Wintershiven 001.jpg

Here is an overview of the distance:

Overland Distance 001.jpg

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar's expression is one of a person who has just remembered something. He stops playing, gets up and walks over to Respen. He notices that Respen appears to be listening to the well dressed man, but can't think of why he would be. He waits for Respen to finish eavesdropping. Respen, I seem to recall there being a bow and some a quiver of arrows among the items we have acquired. If it is not too late, and if no one else has laid claim to them I would like to add them to my inventory.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen, Sylvar, & The Bearded Merchant w/ Plumage

Sylvar's expression is one of a person who has just remembered something. He stops playing, gets up and walks over to Respen. He notices that Respen appears to be listening to the well dressed man, but can't think of why he would be. He waits for Respen to finish eavesdropping. Respen, I seem to recall there being a bow and some a quiver of arrows among the items we have acquired. If it is not too late, and if no one else has laid claim to them I would like to add them to my inventory.

~ I don't believe anyone has claimed it. ~

Respen to Sylvar: "Works for me, Syl. Nobody has said anything about it. Dewydd is interested in the falchions, I think as a battle curiosity piece. I think he wants to see about reworking the split armor, which clearly had (emphasis on 'had') magical properties. But not the bow. My thinking is that was take some of these resources, particularly the deer parts, and use them to establish goodwill here at the inn. Vale is already welcomed from his time here. It would be nice to court similar goodwill. But the bow & quiver appear uncontested. By the way, any chance you are able to dig around and find any traps on the chest Lathir found. I'm certain that it's the same one I had Crestwall give up the location while we were questioning him. Would love to know what's inside, being the explorer elf that I am." Respen winks at Sylvar.

Respen sees Sylvar's interest in Respen's own nosiness, and quietly nods at him that yes indeed he has heard something of interest.
He whispers to Sylvar as rises up from his table, "Merchant. Gems, jewelry, and trinkets. Might be nice to make his acquaintance. Let's get to know him."

And with that, Respen walks over to the fellow and very non-threateningly and politely introduces himself, "Well met, Sir. As I am obviously an elf, I couldn't help overhearing you with the barmaid. I understand you are a merchant who knows his way about this half of the world, based on the little I know of the distance between Wintershiven and Kalmir. Forgive me. I intend no intrusion or disrespect, Sir. I also heard you say that you are a purveyor of gems and jewelry. Might I inquire as to your fees for appraisal? Indeed, are you only familiar with gems and the like?"

OOC:
Indulge me: the party has the following gems to appraise and/or sell (the local jeweler did his thing...this guy seems more adept); however, keeping them may be preferable to selling at this point. It's much easier to haul around gems at .625 lbs. collectively than a lot of platinum or gold. Party decision.

Gems in small pouch: 1 Polished Amber; 1 Bloodstone; 1 Black Opal (extremely rare); 4 diamonds; 3 rubies

Respen does not offer up the gems at this point. He is simply exploring the scope of the merchant's expertise.

Diarmadhim

Explorer
In the morning I wake up, polish my armor, sharpen my blade, and don everything. As we sit in the common room after having a hearty breakfast, I ask the casters in the group various questions that one might hear from an apprentice. When asked as to why, I simply answer, "In light of recent events it has piqued my interest." Due to the plethora of questions I ask, I fail to overhear the jolly man's chit-chat with the barmaid.

OOC: I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! I don't remember having any interest in the falchions though... My memory sucks.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Not wanting to alarm the man, Sylvar hangs back and listens to Respen as he speaks to the merchant. Intently listening to their conversation. His mind briefly wanders to a daydream of a arrow sprouting from an Orc's temple. An almost imperceptible smile creeps across his face, but is gone before anyone can notice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases