GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Tide of Battle Turns...

GM:
As per our lunchtime conversation, I am posting for Respen.

Respen raises his hands, and makes a twisting motion, each hand turning in an opposite direction, the way one would unscrew the lid from a jar. Lightning erupts from his hands as he does so, and strikes the ground, and begins to slither toward the Captain like a magical snake. The Captain, who sees the thing coming, tries to sidestep, but an unseen force corrects the motion of the spell to compensate! Respen's spell slams into the captain, zapping him with a powerful jolt!

GM:
Respen's roll hits AC 9; +1 from Vale's spell = AC 10; +2 from the Captain being flanked / distracted = AC 12;
Captain's Touch AC = 12; Respen's spell hits!
Damage: 13 pts.
Forgot to add extra point to Vega's damage last post; her total was 4 pts.
The Captain has now taken 17 pts. of damage, total.
That also means that Kasnik's mount took 1 less damage (23 pts. instead of 24 pts.)
That also means that Thug #2 took 9 pts. damage instead of 8 pts.

The Captain grimaces as the electricity courses through his body! "Stupid pups!" he snarls, "You'll pay dearly for your interference! I am a Scarlet Slayer! No one dares defy me!"

Father Xavier snarls back at the Captain, saying, "Hold ye still, betrayer of thy Oath, and face the justice of Saint Cuthbert!"

GM:
Spell: Hold Person [DC: 19]
Captain's Roll = 11 (Fail)
Captain is held!

When the Captain hears those words, he pauses, as he realizes who spoke them. Apparently, he is aware of who and what Father Xavier is! He screams, "NOOOooooo!!!" as Father Xavier's spell freezes him in place!

As the Captain is screaming, Lieutenant Benquist raises his hand to his own chest, and concentrates. A wave of light sweeps over him, and most of his wounds disappear, almost completely healed by this single touch.

GM:
Lay on Hands: 40 pts. healed.
Free action: Snap fingers / activate Glove of Storing

Benquist then snaps his fingers, and a glowing, blue Bastard Sword appears in his hand! He levels it at the Captain's throat and yells, "Stand down, your leader has fallen! Your lives will be spared if you surrender! If you do not, then there shall be no quarter! This is your only chance!"

Clarence, who was casting a spell, holds the completion of it, to see if the thugs surrender.

At that moment, a new opponent appears on the scene, out of nowhere, just as the Captain did, obviously with the aid of magic!

Moving with inhuman speed, a red-robed wizard, holding a blue, glowing staff, casts a spell at Beringer! 4 shards of light slam into the fleeing and helpless prisoner! Beringer stumbles face first into the dirty street, but he appears to still be alive, thanks to Xavier's spell!

Xavier winces in pain, as he draws enough energy from the spell to save Beringer's life!

GM:
Maximized Magic Missile: 4d4+4 = 20 pts.
Shield Other: Xavier takes 10 damage, Beringer takes 10 damage.
Beringer has 4 hit pts remaining!

Thug number 1 attacks Benquist's blade, attempting to sunder it! He does so fearlessly, without hesitation, clearly unimpressed by Benquist's threat!

GM:
Improved Sunder (Does not provoke)
Calling 5 pts Power Attack
Thug's roll = 1d20+7 = 21
Benquist's Opposed Roll = 1d20+18 = 32
The thug fails to land a good blow on Benquist's weapon.

Benquist chuckles as he deftly parries the thug's blade. "Your death will be as quick, and as painless as I can make it, friend. Your bravery and dedication is admirable."

Thug number 2 turns to face Angus, eager to repay the bear for his previous claw attack!

GM:
Attack roll = AC 19 (hit)
Damage = 23 pts.
Angus is now down, and at -4 hit pts!

Angus is slow and lumbering, and the guard is quick, strong, and well-trained; he stabs the bear straight through his ribcage with the massive blade, dropping the poor bear with a single blow!

GM:
Father Clarence new initiative: 12
Spell: Magic Missile [4d4+4] = 13 pts. damage. (+1) = 14 pts.
Thug #2 has now taken a total of 23 pts. damage.

In retaliation, Father Clarence releases his held spell, and 4 motes of light slam into the thug that downed Angus!

Updated positioning:

000-Beringers-Assassination-First-Round-1i.jpg

GM:
Initiative for Normal Round:

Dewydd: 25
Sylvar: 21

Angus: 21 (Down, -4 hit pts, bleeding out)
Guard: 19 (Held, Prone, 4 Damage)
Kasnik: 18 (Mount is wounded, mount has taken 23 pts. damage)
Vega: 18
Respen: 17

Xavier: 17 (10 damage)
Lt. Benquist: 16 (7 Damage)
Red Wizard: 14
Captain & Thugs: 13 (Thug#2... 23 Damage; Captain = Held, 17 damage)
Clarence: 12
Lathir: 11
Gus: 8
Beringer: 6 (17 Damage, Prone, badly wounded)
Eldonius: 5
Vale: 3

LATHIR: It's your turn! Angus is down! What do you do?

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir, seeing his fallen companion but being unable to do anything about it, shows a momentary expression of rage.

• Dropping his halfspear, his form changes in the course of motion. It isn't an open hand that lashes toward the vicious thug, it is the clawed, furry hand of a bear, amazingly similar in appearance to the one lying on the ground.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Results of Lathir's attack

GM:
Lathir uses Wildshape as a move equivalent action.
Since he didn't actually MOVE, he can still get a full attack on the adjacent thug.

Claw One: (18) Hit
Claw Two: (18) Hit
Bite: (16) Miss

Damage: 1d4+5 per claw: Total = 14 Points.

Thug #2 has now taken a total of 37 pts. damage.

Lathir lashes out at the thug, bringing the power of nature to BEAR!

GM: Sorry, couldn't resist the pun!

The thug screams in agony as Lathir's claws rake the flesh from his face and neck!

GM: He's still up, but he's badly wounded.

GM: Since Eldonius and Beringer can do nothing but run and cower, I am changing their initiative to 1.

GM: For ease of gameplay, I am also changing Vale and Gus' initiative to 3, so that they can act in tandem.

Vale & Gus: It's your turn! What do you do?

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale and Gus Dance With The Red

~ Reinforcements. Magik-caster. These tossers are persistent. ~

The thought skirts Vale's mind in an instant. His instincts were military, his intelligence and common sense screaming at him to be wary. The combatants were not stepping from concealment. They were appearing from thin air. The first guard was clearly surprised. It took him a moment, and he let his emotion get the better of him. This wasn't planned. So how did he signal for help? Did they have vantage or high ground? Not in here. Too many short two story buildings to block line of sight. He didn't have a whistle or alarm. Had to be magical.

The next three stepped straight into melee and damn near carved up the officer coming out with his drink. That flail was a savage and unholy, unforgiving weapon. Damn torture device.
However, a brief instant was all it took for Vale to come to his senses from the surprise, intently searching for more of these people. The red blur appeared just as quickly, taking a moment to launch sorcery at Beringer. Vale felt his face turning red, righteous indignation welling up in his cheeks. His eyes glowed for a moment as he whispered his attack, actually a dwarven prayer, sounding much like the tearing of parchment or a tapestry. He controlled the spell's direction toward the red robes entering the fray, his hands curling and catching the air.

OOC: Vale casts Silence vs. the incoming red spellcaster

As Gus eyes the melee, looking for a proper new chew toy, er...target, he hears Vale's spell whoosh over his head toward the red blur. His attention goes with it. He runs straight at the red robes with lethal ferocity, flanking the new combatant and hitting him/her from the side. He's played this maneuver with his Vale a number of times to great effect, allowing the spell to hit before actually hitting the target.
Gus goes for the left arm, attempting to grapple and drag the red robes figure to the ground. Gus' bite digging into the arm, Gus hits him squarely with tearing robes and what would have been a ruckus except for the silence spell effects. Observers hear nothing, but see fur and red mangled together.

OOC: Gus moves to intercept the red robed newcomer an instant after Vale's spell his him/her. (d20 14 on bite, 9 on grapple (natural 1)

GM:
You did this wrong. First, the victim gets an attack of opportunity against the grappler. But Gus is considered armed, because he's using his natural weapon (a bite) to grapple; therefore, Gus does not provoke when he grapples. Then Gus makes a melee touch attack to grab; he rolled 14, which hits the wizard's touch AC. Then, they have to make opposed rolls; 1 is not an automatic miss on an opposed roll. Gus got a 9, and I rolled for the wizard, and he got an 8! Ha ha! Gus's grapple attempt succeeds! Gus may now deal bite damage to his target. I will roll the damage for you, but I will allow you to edit the post to reflect the fact that Gus succeeded in grappling the wizard.

GM:
Gus Bite Damage (1d6+3) = 5 pts.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
SILENCE REIGNS!

As Gus charges forward, Vale casts a spell.

GM: Silence; centered on a point in space, in the same square as the Wizard, but not directly on him. Areas in yellow are SILENCED.

Updated positions:

000-Beringers-Assassination-First-Round-1j.jpg

As Eldonius cowers in fear, Beringer rolls over (still prone) and starts twisting and pulling at his manacles, trying to use his thin wrists and high pain tolerance to his advantage.

GM:
Escape Artist check, DC 13 = 11 (Fail)

Beringer succeeds in tearing up the skin on his wrists, resulting in a bloody mess, but that is all.

GM:
Superficial, non-lethal damage taken: 1 pt.

GM:
Initiative for this (5th) round:

Dewydd: 25
Sylvar: 21

Angus: 21 (Down, -4 hit pts, bleeding out)
Guard: 19 (Held (4 rounds remaining), Prone, 4 Damage)
Kasnik: 18 (Mount is wounded, mount has taken 23 pts. damage)
Vega: 18
Respen: 17

Xavier: 17 (10 damage)
Lt. Benquist: 16 (7 Damage)
Red Wizard: 14 (5 Damage, Grappling with Gus)
Captain & Thugs: 13 (Thug#2... 23 Damage; Captain = Held (8 rounds remaining), 17 damage)
Clarence: 12
Lathir: 11
Vale & Gus: 3
Beringer & Eldonius: 1 (Beringer: 17 Pts. Lethal Damage, 1 Pt. Non-Lethal Damage, Prone, badly wounded)

Dewydd, it's your turn; You still have line of movement / ability to charge the Wizard; Gus is clamped down on the Wizard's left arm, providing him with 2 pts. of partial cover; if you miss by 1 or 2 points, you will hit Gus instead. What do you do?

Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
I grip my blade and roar as I do a charging leap toward the enemy wizard that has appeared and struck Beringer. Hearing nothing when I roar, I stutter in my launch and come just short of my enemy. I quickly catch myself and take an additional step, swinging my blade with all of my might. After the first blow lands, I whirl around in a frenzy and swipe at the wizard with a second attack.

OOC: Rolled 30 to hit on initial attack and 20 on second attack from Whirling Frenzy. Damage of 45 on first hit, 37 on second. 20 Spellcraft to realize Silence was cast. I currently have an 8 AC due to everything I'm using.

I forgot my additional attack from BAB. Rolled a 15 and did an additional 30. Too much stuff to keep track of!

GM:
Dewydd charges the distracted Wizard, catching him with his arm extended, attempting to break Gus' hold upon him; Dewydd brings his mighty blade down on the Wizard's arm, severing it at the elbow! Gus falls back onto his behind, surprised to have the prize he sought so quickly. The Wizard stares blankly at his bleeding stump, which is gushing blood. Without missing a beat, Dewydd disembowels the Wizard, slicing him left to right across his belly button. Dewydd's spin puts him 1 step to the rear of the Wizard (in the same square) and safely out of the way of spewing entrails; Gus, however, is not so lucky. An onlooker who had not seen Dewydd's attack would be led to believe that the dog alone had mauled the Wizard, because he is holding the Wizard's severed arm, and he is covered in the Wizard's lifeblood and vital organs.

Wizard: 26 Hit pts.
First hit: -19 (Dead)
Second hit: -56 (More dead)

Updated positions:

000-Beringers-Assassination-First-Round-1k.jpg

Sylvar: It's your turn. What do you do?

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Seeing Thug #2 taking damage Sylvar decides its time to finish him off. Being too close to use the full length of the Naginata, he lets the haft slide halfway down his hands. He turns the blade so the sharp end is down, he chops down and attempts to take off his head at the shoulders.

OOC: Rolled 16, swing and a parry!!

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Thug #2 parries Sylvar's blow, a look of desperation on his face, after seeing his leader fall victim to Xavier's hold spell.

GM:
Angus loses another hit point. Current: -5 hit pts.

Kasnik: It's your turn! What do you do?

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Kasnik roars a battle cry and charges into the frey. Reining his mount to a halt just before the held captain, his lance lashes out at the Thug 1 to the north of Lieutenant Benquist. The man is run through, the lance exploding from his back and spraying gore all across the wall behind the lifeless sack of flesh. At the same time his steed rears and hammers Thug 2 in the chest with its hoof.

His voice a threatening growl, he utters but one word to the remaining thug, "Yield."

OOC: Ride check 19. Natural 20 on attack. Confirmed with a 22. Did 118 points of damage to Thug 1.

Mount 24 on attack. Hit Thug 2 with hoof for 11 damage.

20 Intimidate check on Thug 2.

Last edited:

akahdrin

First Post
OOC: Sorry my post has been delayed, master's thesis is very time consuming. My Ride check is a 26, I can always take a 10, even in combat due to feat. Thank you Diarmadhim for the help while I've been gone.

Remove ads