Classic D&D of All Eras Back In Print

Print on Deman Anyone else notice that WotC snuck a few titles up as Print-On-Demand at DMs Guild? (I purchased three of them, both to support the initiative but also cos I cant help collecting hard copies of D&D material :) )

Print on Deman

Anyone else notice that WotC snuck a few titles up as Print-On-Demand at DMs Guild?

(I purchased three of them, both to support the initiative but also cos I cant help collecting hard copies of D&D material :) )

EonTrinity

Villager
I would love to pick up all of the early Mystara and FR guides. I was pretty young back then, and didn't have much cash. All I could afford was the grey box, and it would be nice now that I am older and have some cash to build up those collections. Those things were great, and really fun to read. So filled with possibilities and nostalgia.

It was an interesting mix of things they put out there right now. Didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason.

ET

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Regarding the POD quality: Based on the oWoD Werewolf supplement for the White Howlers, it's really quite good.

I know that DriveThruRPG has generally good quality on their PoD offerings in general. I'm concerned mostly about the quality of items that shift formats and the quality of printing for things that they're working from scans on rather than original electronic drafts. For example - the Hollow World boxed set is being printed as a softcover book. The Boxed set was three books plus two poster maps (one map front and back) - how does that work bound up in single book form? Are the maps usable when they've been carved up into individual pages? etc. And what's the quality of the printing? Are the scans good enough that you can't tell that its being printed from scans?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would actually love this approach. Especially if the "mechanical support" could be turned into a PoD product rather than just a PDF. To be honest, I would love to see them actually take the James Wyatt MtG "Plane Shift" documents and set them up to be PoD products. And if they could do similar for Eberron, Greyhawk and Dark Sun along with an associated "edition neutral" atlas I'd be really happy. (I'd be exceedingly happy if they'd do the same with Mystara, since that's my first love of D&D campaign worlds. But I suspect I will need to just live with my Gazetteers and fan sources on that front for the future).

I actually could see them fully "crossing the streams" with Magic; they did a survey on the Magic site asking for feedback, including "would you pay for something like this?"

Magic: the Gathering RPG, using 5E rules? Some nee races, some new Classes, tons of monsters...I'd buy it.

I feel sad for those people on E-Bay who will slowly see their sales of $40 books with $40 shipping bleed away to big-box stores like DrivethruRPG who offer low prices and low shipping. :D

It is true, I do not look sad. But I'm sad on the inside. Truly. Would this face lie to you? :heh:

Some day, with the ever-increasing resolution and materials capability of 3D printing, the same "unfortunate" thing may happen to people offering $200+ 1990s graphics cards. Well, at least one can dream. Er. "Nightmare." Totally "nightmare."

outlander78

First Post
I am also sad for the hoarders. :) I haven't seen PDFs lower prices, but new prints should do the job.

My theory is that no one WANTS to sell their books. So, when their significant others push them to downsize, the post their kit for sale at outrageous prices and then say "sorry, dear, no one wanted to buy them."

I am also sad for the hoarders. :) I haven't seen PDFs lower prices, but new prints should do the job.

My theory is that no one WANTS to sell their books. So, when their significant others push them to downsize, the post their kit for sale at outrageous prices and then say "sorry, dear, no one wanted to buy them."
I have seen EBay bids for items at those prices. Your guess may be a factor for some, but market forces are probably the reason for most. With stock in *decline, it is a definite sellers market. And while .pdfs are useful, tablets are slow and awkward to use unless you pay for a PC-equivalent, and **laptops are large and awkward at the gaming table. For sheer "flip to that page and look it up", nothing yet beats the utility of processed wood pulp. With the ability to just buy a new copy. "original editions" will most likely be primarily purchased by collectors. After purchasing the D&D 3.5 PHB reprint, I now have no real use for my old version. As a note, that item will probably also not see EBay, as I will probably gift it to a family member.

As a side benefit for collectors, with fewer relative buyers, prices for original editions will probably experience a temporary drop.

* This decline would not just be due to damage, but due to more and more stock shifting to those who intend to permanently keep the item, while being insufficient to meet demand. In addition, a sizable fraction of the original stock is, sadly, probably now in landfills. That is, if the market can service 4/5ths of the demand, after servicing 3/5ths of that demand, the buyer : seller ratio has shrunk to 1/5th.

** The effect of the vertical, not just horizontal, dimensions of a laptop.

Louis Brenton

Explorer
I am absolutely thrilled about this development. Super excited to see the PoD-available catalog expand in the near future.

I was thrilled when WotC gave us the option of "Here's your free Elemental Player's Companion PDF, & here's a print-on-demand option if you prefer it." This is a move in the right direction.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads