Are these ideas any good?

vivsavage

Explorer
Playing around with ideas for Savage Worlds and wondered what you think of these.

- Spend a benny to draw a second initiative card, allowing you to act twice in one round
- Gain a benny when in native environment (such as Tarzan in a jungle). If it isn't used after you have left the environment, it goes away.
- Each culture has a favored edge, which costs only 1 flaw (such as Acrobatics for a tree dwelling culture)
- you can “buy off” hindrances with XP: 5 XP for a major hindrance, 3 XP for minor
- You can use an advance to claim a favored creature you have previously faced, such as orcs; your wild die increases one step against them for combat and intimidation tests.

A

amerigoV

Greetings fellow Savage! I would post these PEGs boards (if you have not already). I'll throw out my thoughts.

First off, are you talking "all the time" or just setting specific? These feel like possible Setting Rules

Playing around with ideas for Savage Worlds and wondered what you think of these.
- Spend a benny to draw a second initiative card, allowing you to act twice in one round

This is probably a bit overpowered. It might actually take some of the drama out of fights and cause a bit of bennie hoarding. For example, I would want to save my Bennies until the BBEG fight. That might be fun for me, but it would result in a rather nuke option for the main bad guy for the night. It might also lead you to have to really amp yup the fight as well since you know the players will do this. It also might lead you, as GM, to give out less bennies (ie the more you give out, it might lead to more actions).

- Gain a benny when in native environment (such as Tarzan in a jungle). If it isn't used after you have left the environment, it goes away.

That would make a nice Setting Rule presuming the setting does have varying environments. I might be tempted to make a restriction that the PCs need to be from different environments (that would make the jungle PC stand out without having all the PCs making an excuse just to stay in the jungle :))

- Each culture has a favored edge, which costs only 1 flaw (such as Acrobatics for a tree dwelling culture)
I presume you mean a Minor Hindrance can get you the full edge. Again, a good setting rule so long as everyone has access. I like the idea. Its a nice bridge between just having an edge only certain groups can pick up and making it a race characteristic.

- you can “buy off” hindrances with XP: 5 XP for a major hindrance, 3 XP for minor

That concept is basically in the rules. I might do it this way to avoid bookkeeping (its kinda semantics). A full Advance buys off a Major Hindrance. You can sacrifice a "cheap" skill advance to buy off a Minor. For Example, presume you could improve both Fighting and Shooting because you Agility is higher than both. Instead, you could buyoff a Minor hindrance and improve Fighting OR Shooting.

- You can use an advance to claim a favored creature you have previously faced, such as orcs; your wild die increases one step against them for combat and intimidation tests.

A good Setting Edge. Probably want it to be Seasoned at least with a minimum of d8 in the skill (just cuz you fought an orc does not mean you suddenly are better at EVERYTHING). There is Legendary version of this (but d10 for for a specific skill). If you have Hellfrost, the new Edge Favored Foe is akin to this (but +1 parry, higher damage in a raise). Its has a pretty strong prereq.

Looks like you have a setting in mind - good luck!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Good to see a GM reaching outside the rulebook! Keep it up.
- Gain second turn: not the best idea. This is equal to, "let's all be bored while the guy with the bennies acts." CHOOSING which card to keep might work better.
- Favored edge: sure, as long as character sheets aren't already too bloated.
- Buy off hindrances: those hindrances add flavor to characters. I say keep 'em.
- Favored creature: good idea, as long as there's variety to the creatures encountered. It doesn't work well if a character or characters spend entire sessions rolling d8 for the Wild Die.

innerdude

Legend

This is basically the equivalent of the SW Deluxe's version of the "Quickness" spell. Trust me from experience, you don't want to go there. This is flat-out overpowered and broken. I might say, "Spend a benny and take two actions this round without a multi-action penalty." I'd probably just make it a Novice Edge with a minimum d6 Agility.

I like it. Definitely a GM discretion sort of thing, unless you want to codify it as a hard rule.

I'm assuming this primarily applies at character creation? Sounds reasonable, just make sure you have a backup plan for characters that don't want the edge immediately, but take it later. Does it still cost a full advance? If it doesn't, what else does the player get for that advance?

I'd go with [MENTION=26651]amerigoV[/MENTION]'s suggestion here.

Sounds good to me as an edge, as suggested. I'd also increase the damage die for attack raises by one die step as well.

Brandegoris

First Post

I like the idea of using a Benny to draw another initiative card. I think I would amend it a little and say that if you spend a bennie you simply get to go FIRST ( not as if you drew a Joker though, Joker still beats the Bennie). I only say this because Bennies are valuable.

Gaining a Benefit in the native environment isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't necessarily do it, but I don't think it unbalances the game or anything.

Favored edge sounds okay. Not unbalancing either

Buying off a hindrance makes sense as long as you use common sense. if you are blind or missing an arm I don't think you can buy them off( unless you are using magic or a sci-fi setting with robot arms etc)

I also Like having a favored enemy. That seems like a good idea

Good work!

dvvega

Explorer
Greetings,

it is always great to see people playing with the Savage Worlds system. However there are some general caveats that one should look out for.

Firstly have you played the system extensively "as is". Modifying the game without testing the bare bones system over and over leads to a break sometimes that makes the game "broken" over time.

Of course this all depends on the kind of game you are running. If you are running a "heroes always win" game then sure, make as many changes as you can think of :)

Secondly, bennies are a free flowing resource if played correctly. As written players should receive a Benny every time the Storyteller sees good roleplaying (subjective) or you could at least award a Benny for the first time a Hinderance comes into play and the player plays on that Hinderance.

I have been Storytelling Savage Worlds for a while now, and these are my opinions to your ideas.

Please do not misinterpret this as criticism but rather very neutral commenting from my own experiences.

Acting twice within a round without a multi-action penalty may seem Benny worthy, however it will do a couple of things. Firstly all of your main warrior-types (modern or otherwise) will be spending their bennies to destroy their foes quickly. As such you may find yourself upping the strength of enemies to compensate, and a dangerous cycle ensues.

A better option is to allow them to gain the Quickness or Level Headed edge for a turn (or maybe even a scene). It does not grant extra attacks but gives them the chance of acting earlier, which in Savage Worlds is quite a powerful ability anyway.

Each culture has a favored edge, which costs only 1 flaw (such as Acrobatics for a tree dwelling culture)

This works fine if everyone has the same advantage, otherwise if you have the Sci-Fi Companion look at balancing out the benefit using their race creation rules.

I have done similar things either as a bonus Edge at character creation or reduced costs and it works well to add flavour. Just be careful about which Edges you are giving out cheaply.

you can “buy off” hindrances with XP: 5 XP for a major hindrance, 3 XP for minor

Although it is not specifically in the rules as a general concept, it is listed in the Enemy and Habit Hinderances.

In those Hinderances the concept of buying them off with an Advance is listed. So your idea here is not new, and has been around in most games since I played the original Deadlands.

Your idea at allowing them to buy of a Minor Hinderance in a different way is just extra paper work and one character will always have odd XP counts compared to everyone else. I made this mistake myself and it has made a character a "little off" compared to the rest. When we resume next season I will be correcting that :)

The one thing I personally do is require a roleplaying justification. For example a player in my current game was a Pacifist to start with. However all of the violence he has experienced, including the loss of a potential true-love to the machinations of the BBG led him to buy it off - no longer would he be tethered to this weak code of honour.

Without an RPG reason I double the cost of removing it.

You can use an advance to claim a favored creature you have previously faced, such as orcs; your wild die increases one step against them for combat and intimidation tests

If you look at the Master Edge, you will notice it does something very similar to what you are talking about, except it is only for one specific Trait (combat and intimidate are seperate Traits). In addition, it requires 2 other Legendary Edges to qualify for (Expert and Professional).

Yes you are limiting it to a specific type of creature, however two things will happen: orcs are everywhere and thus the benefit is a large one, orcs do not appear very often and thus the Advance used would be better spent on an Edge that works all of the time.

Hopefully this gives you some insight into the game as I have run it and experienced it,

D

Remove ads