D&D 5E The odd job[Ooc]

I'm fine with all of these option with an caveat. If the vitality option is a headache to manage we can revisit and possibly remove it as an option. I'm just worried that at higher levels as we take vitality damage we will need to continually recalculate our base HP. It could end up being a lot of bookkeeping with little added benefit.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I'm fine with all of these option with an caveat. If the vitality option is a headache to manage we can revisit and possibly remove it as an option. I'm just worried that at higher levels as we take vitality damage we will need to continually recalculate our base HP. It could end up being a lot of bookkeeping with little added benefit.
Never ran it a high levels. I would say they all come with the caveat. Tbh

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Healer's Kit Dependency: A character can't spend any Hit Dice after finishing a short rest until someone expends one use of a healer's kit to bandage and treat the character's wounds.

That seems an okay and easy to integrate rule. Hrgach has a healer's kit already. I always have most of my characters carry one.

Lingering Injuries:

When it takes a critical hit.
When it drops to 0 hit points but isn't killed outright.
When it fails a death saving throw by 5 or more.

Here's the table:

Roll 1d20

1 Lose an Eye - disadvantage on Perception checks that rely on sight and on ranged attack rolls. Need Regenerate to restore the eye. If you lose the other, you are blind.
2 Lose and Arm or Hand - can't hold anything with two hands, can only hold 1 object at a time. Needs Regenerate to restore.
3 Lose a Foot or Leg - Speed is halved, and must use a cane or crutch or get a peg leg. Fall prone after Dashing. Disadvantage on Dex checks to balance. Needs Regenerate.
4 Limp - Speed reduced by 5 feet. Need to make a DC 10 Dex save after Dashing or fall prone. Magical healing removes the limp.
5-7 Internal Injury - Whenever you attempt an action in combat, must make a DC 15 Constitution save or lose your action and can't use reactions until start of next turn. Need magical healing or 10 days doing nothing but resting.
8-10 Broken Ribs - Same as Internal Injury, but DC 10.
11-13 Horrible Scar - disfigured to an extent that can't be easily concealed. Disadvantage on Persuasion checks and advantage on Intimidation. Need magical healing 6th level or higher (Heal or Regenerate).
14-16 Festering Wound - Hit point max is reduced by 1 every 24 hours with the wound. If it reaches 0, you die. Magical healing or DC15 Medicine check once every 24 hours for 10 days to heal.
17-20 Minor Scar - no adverse effect. Need 6th level or higher magic to heal (Heal or Regenerate)

I admit I've wanted to try this variant. However, we are a first level party without magical healing. We are going to go down a lot, especially me, I imagine, as the front liner. A bad roll or two on that table makes a character effectively unplayable, and a lot of that healing magic is way out of reach for first level. So I'm wary, but willing. We may end up making new characters every couple combats, which makes it hard to maintain a story line.

Vitality seems...interesting. I guess I'm willing to try it, but yeah, does seem like a complicated amount of paperwork.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I was going to use a custom table for injuries ill post it up when I get home. Its a bit more friendly, its got minor equipment damage(its repairable).

I do see the concern though with lack of magical healing. I'm happy to run with all or non of the above. Vitality sounds like more paper work than it is tbh.

Edit: The reason I usually run these rules is my table are the very definition of murder hobos so it helped real them in. You guys don't seem so dysfunctional sure it'll be fine.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
LOL We're just dysfunctional in other ways! I'm running a table of complete newbs, and am fairly newish to DMing, so some of it kind of scared me. I really don't keep character sheets as trophies of my kills :)

Azurewraith

Explorer
LOL We're just dysfunctional in other ways! I'm running a table of complete newbs, and am fairly newish to DMing, so some of it kind of scared me. I really don't keep character sheets as trophies of my kills :)
Id need a seperate house to store mine here's a snippit of an actual session.
Me: you arrive at the castle suspended over the volcano 2 fire giants stand guard.
Player:any large rocks nearby?
Me:yes
Player: ill throw the rock at the giant
Me: what? Its a giant with a big club...(they where like 3rd lvl I think)
Player: I throw a rock at the giant I just want his attention.
Me: you could try shouting? You sure?
Player: yes
Me:the rock hits the giant. He looks around sees you with your arm raised.... he's pissed. Sure you can figure out what's next.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases