New spell for analysis

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Hi,
two years ago, I developed a new protection spell for my druid, and in two years most of the players of the group I'm in haven't managed to check the spell for game balance...:( As the party is fighting in RttToEE, the spell will discussed during combat, thus breaking the game for an hour or more, I'm quite certain of that (it has been the case for other spells the DM was not aware, although the COMPLETE spell list is at his hands). Anyway, here it is, ready for being checked:

Kaichiri's Elemental Shield

Evocation [Fire, Water, Earth, or Air]
Level: Drd 5, Clr 4
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 0
Target: Personal
Duration: 1 round / level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
The spell creates a shield composed of one of the four elements of the caster's choice. Each version has its own powers, depending on the chosen element. Similar to the arcane Shield, this version covers half the battle field (and thus offers protection towards one direction) and can be positioned on the caster's turn as a free action.

Fire: The caster creates a fiery long shield composed of hot flames. It offers full protection from natural and magical fire like a dragon's breath, a direct hit by a Fireball and even the touch of a fire elemental or other creatures composed of fire. Any creature attacking the caster in melee combat with weapons without reach takes 1d4+1 points of fire damage, undead creatures and creatures of the cold subtype take double damage. The caster isn't harmed by the shield's heat.
Material component: An open flame or powdered sulfur, iron and a small ruby (worth 10 GP).

Earth: A large round shield made of basalt and rings of iron is created. It protects from spells or abilities creating earth (like Bombardement, Flesh to Stone) or using earth as a source for damage (like Rock to Mud). Creatures made of stone and earth elementals cannot touch the caster. The shield provides a +2 cover bonus.
Material component: A piece of basalt and a little hematite (worth 10 GP).

Air: This version is a round shield made of dense fog. It protects from spells or abilities using the air as a source for damage (like Gust of Wind) and the touch of air elementals, creatures made of gas and flying normal insects. The shield provides enough air under water or in vaccum to keep the caster alive (spell casting is possible).
Material component: A little fan and some talcum powder.

Water: The caster evoces a round shield consisting of blue, cold salt water. It protects from spells or abilities using or creating water or acid (like Waterball, Melf's Acid Arrow) and the touch of water elementals and creatures made of water. The shield does not provide the ability to breathe under water.
Material component: A drop of sea water and a turquoise (worth 10 GP).

If in high danger, a druid caster can decide to merge all four elements in one shield and gaining all described protections. The elements swirl wildly and fight each other, thus weakening the caster by dealing 4 points of continual damage each round. This version of the shield cannot be dismissed.
A weaker version of the Elemental Shield is available to clerics with access to an elemental domain. They can create a shield related to their domain, the other three versions and the combined shield are not available to them.

That's it, I hope I forgot nothing (have to type it from memory...). Any ideas how to change the spell for 3.5 (facing will be removed, IIRC)?
Thanks in advance for commenting.

The Dark Dragon

SylverFlame

First Post
FIrst, I think this is a really neat spell. Second, I am not the best at balancing magic, but I'll give it a shot.

I think the four part combo should be dropped. The ability to gain full protection from all elemental spells and creatures (and there are a lot of those things) for a measely four hit points per turn is an easy choice IMO. Give this spell to something with fast healing and it's the only option they'll use.

Next, the "full protection" is a little harsh for me. I would either say "absorbs x points of damage and dissipates" or "allows a saving throw with a bonus of x".

Just my thoughts.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases