D&D 5E The New World [Volo Monsters]

ammulder

Explorer
The New World (Is Not For You!)

A lighthearted 5e game for four to six monstrous PCs (Volo's Guide).

The great kingdoms of the West ebb and flow, but none seems to ever rise to dominate the land. Until now: the discovery of the New World may give any one of those kingdoms an insurmountable edge in wealth and influence. Needless to say, they are all over the opportunity.

There's only one little problem: the New World is already occupied.

Well, at least it would be a problem if the Orcs, Goblinoids, Kobolds, and miscellaneous other inhabitants could manage to band together and fight off the invaders. Instead of, say, fighting each other as much as anybody else, or each backing out of any alliance in which they are not universally acknowledged as the Supreme Masters.

Yet against the onrushing tide of humans, elves, dwarves, and friends, eventually it becomes obvious to the even the most hardened Orc or Bugbear that something has to be done. When grand alliances are out of the question, the only remaining possibility is to start small.

Each race has agreed to provide one hero, one open-minded hero of his or her kind, who can acknowledge the strengths of the others, put aside old grudges (at least for a time), and work toward the common goal of driving these undeserving invaders back across the ocean. Or perhaps better, into a shallow grave.

But the grand kings and champions would never acknowledge the equality of a lowly goblin or slithering snake-man. The up-and-comers know the better money is on pleasing the elders, not going against the grain. Which pretty much leaves the outcasts, the infirm, and the young and stupid to take up the flag of unity.

So... What say ye?

Character Creation:

• Level 1
  • Points Buy (27)
  • Standard class/background equipment
  • Races allowed: Bugbear, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold, Orc, Yuan-Ti (no more than one of each)
  • Feats will be allowed when the time comes, no multiclassing
  • Other rules allowed: PHB, SCAG, Volo's Guide, spells from Elemental Evil companion
  • Some backstory required: Are you the young and stupid, the outcast, or the infirm? What makes you your race's one choice to rid the continent of the plague of invaders? (Bearing in mind that the sum total of volunteers for this prestigious position was... zero.) Also, it would be great if you include some lead or hook regarding what your race or tribe or deity is trying to get out of all this.

Game Setup: being moderately inexperienced (or let's face it, downright green), you'll start out with assigned missions. Once you've proven your mettle, things will get more open-ended. Eventually you'll be able to draw on the armies of your home tribes, and perhaps more. Let's have enough of this "New World" talk!

PCs:

• Saashala (Shayuri): Yuan-ti Warlock -- ready (PDF, stat post, background post)
  • Nert Muckshredder (TallIan): Goblin Ranger -- ready (PDF, post)
  • Moon Moon (Creamsteak): Kobold Druid -- ready (PDF, post)
  • Karok the Crow (tglassy): Orc Storm Sorcerer -- ready (PDF, post)
  • Drutha Keldret (KahlessNestor): Hobgoblin Fighter -- ready (PDF, post)
  • Ripnek Ratkiller (JustinCase): Bugbear -- needs personality selections (PDF, post)

Notify of future openings:

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
I love this. I love strange outcast types. I guess Yuan-tip is taken. I'll take orc. Probably a wizard, but I'll think about it.

I will need the stats for an Orc, because I don't have Volo's Guide yet...

Last edited:

ammulder

Explorer
I love this. I love strange outcast types. I guess Yuan-tip is taken. I'll take orc. Probably a wizard, but I'll think about it.

I will need the stats for an Orc, because I don't have Volo's Guide yet...

Are you going to be able to get Volo's Guide some time soon? There's a lot of detail on Orc culture and gods that I think you'd want to reflect.

tglassy

Adventurer
Not necessarily, though I do plan on looking at it next time I go to my game shop, to at least read that information. There's always the possibility I'll get it for Christmas. I just don't have $50 to drop on a game my wife doesn't want me playing in the first place.

tglassy

Adventurer
I know Orcs get a -2 Int penalty, and so that's a big detrement to making an Orc Wizard...but that's kind of the point. He's an oddball, was weaker than his brothers, and found a Yuan-ti's spellbook. He started using the magic to help him keep up with everyone else and survive in a world where a non-martially talented Orc didn't survive long. He became somewhat of an outcast, looked down upon by the other orcs, looked at with distain by any other race, especially those that can use magic.

The other option was to go with an Orc Wild Sorcerer. He gets strange, wild magic that likes to explode, and they're sending him to this 'team' in order to get him out of the village, cause he causes so much danger. Then the intelligence penalty wouldn't hurt so much.

I'm torn.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'm interested. I'm kinda not on Enworld today, but I'll pick up something to fill out the group easily enough. I've got tons of ideas.

TallIan

Explorer
Hmmm, if there is space I'd like to play a goblin, either sorcerer (since warlock and to be taken) or possibly a range based fighter.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases