D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Shayuri

First Post
Of those, the last one is best, I think. Weaponry is reasonable, character seems feminine, but not overtly so. I like the dark garb underneath the sand-colored overcloak. Very good camo scheme for the desert.

Is mystic a thing you're willing to consider? I love the monk/rogue version of Ankabut like a long lost cousin, but I've never ever gotten to play a mystic. I might be enticed. But I can't guarantee it's balanced.

--- Actually, nevermind. I need to commit right now, lol.

So Ankabut it is. There will be other games to bring a mystic into. I don't feel like psionics really -works- in this setting. It feels jarring.

Last edited:

I played in one limited Al-Qadim game 20 some odd years ago but I have a basic idea of the setting and was just looking over the old 2nd edition book I have.

Describe myself as a player. That's a tough one. I enjoy taking on the persona of a character. I enjoy creating a calaborative story with the other players. I enjoy overcoming challenges using my wits and skills. I've played numerous systems over my 30+ years of gaming.

Quickleaf

Legend
I played in one limited Al-Qadim game 20 some odd years ago but I have a basic idea of the setting and was just looking over the old 2nd edition book I have.

Describe myself as a player. That's a tough one. I enjoy taking on the persona of a character. I enjoy creating a calaborative story with the other players. I enjoy overcoming challenges using my wits and skills. I've played numerous systems over my 30+ years of gaming.

Great! Sounds like this will be a good fit for you (and vice versa). :)

Most info you need is in the original post, but feel free to ask questions too.

Any ideas about your character yet?

Was kicking around a couple ideas. I am going back and forth between a Jackel, Sha'ir or a Spellslayer. Need to see a little more info on the those themes. Is the Sha'ir a warlock subclass? If so I've been wanting to play a warlock. I also love the concept of the genie binder.

Quickleaf

Legend
Was kicking around a couple ideas. I am going back and forth between a Jackel, Sha'ir or a Spellslayer. Need to see a little more info on the those themes. Is the Sha'ir a warlock subclass? If so I've been wanting to play a warlock. I also love the concept of the genie binder.

I'll PM you with a link to the playtest docs.

Jackal is probably best handled with the roguish arcane trickster, though the "defining" feature of spell-thieving doesn't kick in until very high levels. Whereas a Spellslayer could be any PC really, maybe an eldritch knight, who takes the Mage Slayer (?) feat in the PHB.

The Sha'ir can be expressed in a couple ways, but there is a Noble Genie warlock pact in the playtest docs that may appeal.

Quickleaf

Legend
Are there any changes to the magic item rarity from the PHB? Specifically is the Decanter of Endless Water still uncommon?

I remember we chatted about that when I was designing the magic items, and for now we're leaving it as uncommon.

Generally, we didn't change the magic item rarity from any of the magic items in the DMG.

But if you read the item description it's not truly "limitless" water. Edit: Oh wait, yes it is.

Last edited:

Yeah it takes an action to do it but does not have a limit on the number of times it can be used. In a desert setting it is an incredibly useful item. Though an Alchemy Jug might have more versatility.

On a different note. I was going to take the Tasked Genie Bond and was probably going to pick the valet.

Remove ads