Suggestions for a high level build archer

felwred

First Post
I am working on an archer that will need to keep up with paladins and wizards at levels 16-18.
I am working within AL rules so standard point buy and only the PHB + 1 other source (Volos, Sword Coast, etc.) (plus DMG).

I was thinking the following build: (18 levels)
Variant Human (taking sharpshooter as the first feat) - starting with 16 Dex - I want to stay human for thematic reasons (and since the character is already active so changing the race would be difficult at this point).

Fighter 1: Archery style +2 to hit with ranged attacks
Fighter 2: Action Surge
Fighter 3: Battlemaster - taking menacing attack and precise shot to maximize getting advantage and hitting more often D8's on Maneuvers
Fighter 4: Stat bump Dex to 18
Fighter 5: 2 attacks/round
Fighter 6: Stat bump Dex to 20
Fighter 7-8: Feat: Crossbow Expertise
Fighter 9-11: 3 attacks/round, Maneuvers go to D10's
Cleric (war) 1: extra attack as a bonus action equal to wisdom bonus
Ranger 1-2: Fighting style already has archery so +1 to AC, Hunter's mark (D6 extra damage)
Ranger (hunter) 3 : Horde Breaker - extra attack against adjacent foe to original target
Rogue 1: Sneak attack, extra D6 to 1 attack
Rogue 2: Hide as a bonus action
Rogue 3 (assassin): Advantage when going first, crits on all surprise attacks

Equipment:
Oathbow (advantage and +3d6 to 1 opponent per day) (attuned)
+2 Longbow (for use against anyone but what the Oathbow is used against for a big opponent) (he already has this item)

Questions:
1. Did I miss anything particularly useful in this build? Something to provide advantage for the entire round would be big, for example (kobold race?)? Other ways to increase damage? Ways to get around magical protections?
2. I'm not sure the oathbow is worth taking up an attunement slot. On average, he'll get 4 attacks per round - the +2 means more hits and more average damage except against a single opponent. The character will need equipment to be on par with other characters of that level. Bracers of archery have the same problem - attunement for just a +2 damage bonus.
3. Any feats I should consider? With this build, I intentionally didn't take the Fighter 12 or Ranger 4 levels because he already has dex 20 and sharpshooter & crossbow expertise.

Thank you for your feedback!

Fred

vostygg

Explorer
That's a pretty decent build. Thanks for posting it!

One feat you might consider is Alert to ensure that your critical hits from Assassinate trigger as often as possible. Not sure where you'd fit it in though, and Assassinate doesn't come online for you until level 20. I'm therefore not sure I'd bother with it for this build.

Also, I personally prefer Colossus Slayer to Horde Breaker, because it's less situational, and I generally lean towards focused fire.

The main thing that would bug me about this build if I were to play it would be the lack of darkvision. That may be just me though!

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
Stick with straight fighter, the extra attacks are gonna do more damage than the sneak attack dice.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
Instead of trying to get a couple extra dice worth of damage, staying fighter, you can take the feats Tough, Medium Armor Master, and Alert (so you're never surprised)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Cleric 1 (idk, life?)/Eldritch Knight X

Cast Bless on yourself (and your teammates if you're feeling generous). Sharpshoot everything. Maybe add another level of Cleric (but only if War), to get +10acc Wis/day.

neogod22

Explorer
2 action surges trump everything. At 18th lvl you should be sharpshooter everything. You're giving yourself +17 damage 6 times before any dice are rolled twice per combat. Then your battlemaster dice go to d12s, and when you get to 20 you get a 4th attack, that will be 8 attacks on an action surge. The garbage dice won't beat that. The only non-caster that can out damage you would be an assassin only when he gets his assassination off.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
2 action surges trump everything. At 18th lvl you should be sharpshooter everything. You're giving yourself +17 damage 6 times before any dice are rolled twice per combat. Then your battlemaster dice go to d12s, and when you get to 20 you get a 4th attack, that will be 8 attacks on an action surge. The garbage dice won't beat that. The only non-caster that can out damage you would be an assassin only when he gets his assassination off.

Except to actually deal that damage you have to hit. Which a Bless-running EK does and a plain BM doesn't (as often).

Ashabel

First Post
BM could use Precise Attack to counter the -5 penalty... d12 to get at least a 5. Doable.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
Except to actually deal that damage you have to hit. Which a Bless-running EK does and a plain BM doesn't (as often).
With a normal +15 to hit, dropping down to a +10, there aren't many creatures he would have to worry about missing, especially once he know the creature's AC, he could easily calculate what number on the die he has to roll over.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases