WOIN starter booklet questions

drfredirk

Explorer
Hello. I've been looking into this system and downloaded the starter kit. I'm planning on testing it out with my gaming group next week, and if they like the system I'll buy some books. I had a few questions about the material though.

1. Selena the firemage: Does it cost MP to use the flaming touch and fire bolt attacks? Does the firebolt attack differ significantly from the 5 MP Fireblast spell in the magic section? Also the book says she has 30 MP but the character sheet only says 15; which is it?

2. I also had some questions about the map. There is no discription for areas 5, 6 and 7 on the map, and no information about the secret doors and stairs that appear in 7. There is also a discription of a room with a mad doctor but no equivilant on the map. Is the map from a previous version of the adventure?

I was thinking of putting the doctor in the empty room in the fantasy section, eleminating the stairs and either eleminating the secret doors or replacing them with normal doors. How have others run this adventure?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The exploits listed are special abilities, not spells. They don't cost MP. Firebolt is slightly weaker than Fireblast.

She has 15 MP. However, there is a magic scale in Elements of Magic which allows you to dial your world's magic from weak and/or rare to common and/or powerful.

Areas 5, 6, and 7 are just corridor/foyer. 5 is only relevant in the sense that the marines and/or goblins might emerge from the guard rooms and each end.

The mad doctor is in room 8, the medlab (on the map next to room 9, the meeting room).

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

drfredirk

Explorer
Thanks for the help. The map is still confusing, though. There is a second doctor, on page 35, in the grey area, who "turned to dark forces to save himself", seperate from the one in the medlab. I'll probably put him in the lab in the grey area. Ill also probably eliminate the stairs to nowhere because I know my players wont be able to resist checking them out if they come across them, and turn the S doors into locked doors if they connect two halls (so my players will find them). Hopefully the test goes well and they like the system, if so I'll buy the books. What I've seen so far looks promising (genre flexible like GURPS but not nearly as complicated; career-path based character creation like Traveller but not genre specific, focus on tactical combat like D&D 4th ed, but actually encourages movement)

drfredirk

Explorer
Playtest post-mortem

After our regular game ended early, I broke out the WOIN to test with my players (3 experienced gamers and two non-gaming wife and son of one of the experienced ones. Dr. Tiktok was only char not used). They made short work of the spider. Afterwards the young son, playing Ben, was the primary instigator of the action. While the others were contemplating the statue, he strolled on up and opened a door, learning a valuable lesson in traps. Black powder trap failed to hit him but alterted goblins and marines. Ben also led off initative. He tried to tell the marines he wasnt a threat, and got three sixes in the charisma roll. The marines decided to let the captain decide what to do with them. One marine led Ben, Serena and the Ogran down the hall to the captain, Alejandra, Manallan and the other marine fought the goblins. Ben opened the door to the medlab releasing the mad doctor who proceded to blind Ben, the Ogran killed the doctor and the marine attacked, Ogran forced him back up to the room with the xenomorph before people had to leave. Selena searched the doctor and found the wallet full of ruples (because they did not look for the nest).

Consensus: Players seemed to like the system, accept for the dissenterested wife of one of the experienced gamers. Ordered the book and downloaded the pdf almost immediately afterwards. The one experienced gamer who stuck around created a space archeologist, and I will probably run a game after the holidays.

Remove ads