Local & Regional Coordinators are no more

Steve_MND

First Post
I've long felt that the volunteer staff was much more engaged and committed to supporting the program than the WotC employees, so I'm not sure simply adding more WotC employees would have improved things. Had WotC chosen to hire the volunteer staff, that would be a different matter, but that was (and is, as seen by this decision) never going to happen.

I meant more that I didn't like the inbuilt disconnect that existed between the Admin staff and WotC, in that every other question about the campaign that came up seemed to be answered with "We'd love to see that in the next set of game rules as well, but the best we can do is ask WotC to add it in and see what we get next season." I'd have preferred to see the people running the campaign be the people that can call the shots, and not two separate groups that only occasionally met orbits.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I see your point, and while I get why the disconnect had to occur -- the volunteers were never going to be given the ability to modify WotC's intellectual property without being supervised -- I'll agree with your point. Again, the issue could have been solved easily by hiring the volunteer admins (there are just six of them, after all, it would have been far less of a burden than hiring all the RCs and senior LCs), but as noted, that was never going to happen.

--
Pauper

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
http://misdirectedmark.com/threats-...ns-and-dragons-plot-twist/?platform=hootsuite

Misdirected mark talks about these changes. I haven't listed to it yet.

Just as a warning, this is a podcast called "Threats from Galifrey," which is part of the Misdirected Mark network but is not the Misdirected Mark podcast itself. And while I consider some of the gentlemen on the "Threats" show friends of mine, and I enjoy listening to them talk about things like Doctor Who and The One Ring games, I have to warn people that they are really not well informed on the Adventurers League in general, and the few times where they even come close to getting the details right, they are making sweeping generalizations based on very limited (or no) experience with AL play. What they end up talking about more are the drawbacks of playing in an Organized Play campaign versus playing a home game. And most people who play OP games like AL are aware of those drawbacks and choose to play in the OP games anyway.

darjr

I crit!
Oh. Thanks for that heads up. I didn't realise. I'm a huge fan of organized play when it's done right and disruptions are managed well.

RCanine

First Post
I have to admit that I think promoting Baldman's stuff in the same breath as excusing the staff of hyperengaged volunteers was a massive misstep. It's lead to all kinds of confusion already (players thinking BMG is taking over AL, is replacing AL, etc.). Mostly because makes the reader might think that the AP is now going to fulfill the role that RCs and LCs had. I think the AL really needs to message, explicitly, what things haven't changed, that:

* Adventures will still be published on the DM's Guild
* How to get Fai Chen's and other support at your convention
* Who will be performing the non-store-related roles of the RCs/LCs (Facebook moderation, blog posts, FAQ grooming, etc.)
* Who to contact with questions

Although most of these things haven't changed, it's likely that most folks won't be well versed in how they officially worked, since they all relied so heavily on RCs & LCs.

I think we also need some assurance that the AL remains a priority, despite some of the admins having roles in both organizations. There's probably also some room to address how the AL intends to avoid potential conflicts of interest when some of the leadership are involved in both orgs.

* Adventures will still be published on the DM's Guild
* How to get Fai Chen's and other support at your convention
* Who will be performing the non-store-related roles of the RCs/LCs (Facebook moderation, blog posts, FAQ grooming, etc.)
* Who to contact with questions

I think we also need some assurance that the AL remains a priority, despite some of the admins having roles in both organizations.

1) Adventures will still be published on DMsGuild.com
2) You still ask for it via the same form you always have. The Resource team (myself and Bill) still approve it and we have a mechanism in place to get it to you.
3) The Community Admins are in charge of the online stuff (Robert and Alan), though the other folks help out. Check out my latest blog post on the site today!
4) Always start with Community@http://dndadventurersleague.org/ if you are unsure.

The changes that have occurred are partly because of how much a priority WOTC wants to place on AL. They made the Admins part of the D&D team. They want to increase WOTC efforts towards AL, so they want customer service brought up to speed (and why they get regular updates on AL issues now). Its definitely a good thing!

RulesJD

First Post
1) *SNIP*

The changes that have occurred are partly because of how much a priority WOTC wants to place on AL. They made the Admins part of the D&D team. They want to increase WOTC efforts towards AL, so they want customer service brought up to speed (and why they get regular updates on AL issues now). Its definitely a good thing!

You misspelled *it's happening because of a lawsuit brought by unpaid MtG volunteers and WotC is afraid of the same thing from AL*.

If you're going to say things are going to be the same/better, it helps with being honest about why it happened in the first place. The term "customer service" has been thrown around a lot with exactly zero explanation of what that even means. Let's start with honesty about why it happened in the first place and move on from there.

Remove ads