N.E.W. I took the plunge. Now What?

Reynard

Legend
Hey [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] I was wondering if you could talk a little bit about the underlying math behind careers and especially exploits. While the N.E.W. book does have a lot of things that are useful for a post apocalyptic game I am pretty sure I am going to have to create some new origins and careers for the campaign I want to run. What general advice do you have for folks wanting to create careers that support specific worlds or campaigns?

Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] I was wondering if you could talk a little bit about the underlying math behind careers and especially exploits. While the N.E.W. book does have a lot of things that are useful for a post apocalyptic game I am pretty sure I am going to have to create some new origins and careers for the campaign I want to run. What general advice do you have for folks wanting to create careers that support specific worlds or campaigns?

There's an entire chapter in the book about exactly that! :)

Reynard

Legend
There's an entire chapter in the book about exactly that! :)

After reading through the section it looks like exploit creation is definitely as much art as science. There are lots of examples, though, so building PA specific careers and exploits should not be too difficult.

Reynard

Legend
So I made up my first career. Note that this career comes from an existing setting of mine (used for both fiction and gaming) so there are a couple of assumptions built in, but I think it is widely applicable to most post apocalyptic settings.

Seeker
Prerequisites: none
Attributes: END +1, CHA +1, LUC +1, REP +1
Skills: archaeology, history, [physical], survival, [technical], thievery

As a Seeker, you scour the remnants of the pre-Calamity world for ancient knowledge and artifacts. Perhaps you deliver them to the Cradles (the seats of learning) or sell them to the highest bidder, or even hoard them for yourself.

Seen Everything: Nothing surprises you anymore. Whenever a ancient technology defense mechanism or other trap goes off, you gain a +1d6 or +3 DEF (whichever is appropriate) versus the incoming attack or effect.

Toolkit: You gain a set of high quality tools.

Haggler: You are adept at bareting. You gain a +1d6 to any attempt to strike a deal for goods or services. In addition, if you expend a LUC die you can reduce your cost or improve your fee by the result of the LUC die x5%. Only one LUC die may be expended this way.

Ancient Technologist (requires Seen Everything): You are familiar with ancient technology and next take a penalty for unfamiliarity (but do not necessarily gain any bonus or other benefit) when using ancient technological tools, weapons or other items.

Thoughts?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Looks great! The only comment I would have is that maybe those exploits are a little low-key? They're very background oriented - which is fine, but I wonder if a fun exploit the player might get a kick out of using might be appropriate? An action, perhaps? I don't know the setting well, of course, so feel free to ignore me!

Reynard

Legend
Looking at both the NEW and OLD careers it feels like the Exploration pillar could use some support. What I mean is that even the NEW scout is combat focused along with the OLD Ranger. One of the things I love about the post apocalyptic genre is that as awesome as Raiders and insane death machines are, exploration is usually a really strong element. D&D style fantasy likes exploration too, but usually as a means to a pretty straight forward end: treasure. Ancient treasures certainly play a role in PA too, but it is more than that: in fantasy, the Lost Age is usually gone for good and the treasures plundered from its ruins are nothing more than wealth or power. But in PA, there is the suggestion of a promise that the golden age can be restored and the treasures in the ruins aren't just wealth but seed corn (sometimes literally). Sci-find like NEW often relegates exploration to some sensor sweeps (with a focus on politics or technomystery rather than exploration; I am not meaning to disparage, just differentiate).

I'm any case, I guess my point is that I think it will be fun to keep PA careers at least inclined toward exploration in order to inform a consistent theme.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Some of the OLD errata has some better exploration abilities. Increasing Fortune during journeys, that sort of thing.

easl

Explorer
For OLD, Watchman is pretty good; the "clues" exploit, liberally interpreted, should allow you to pick up on secret stuff. Trouble sense and Vigilant are also pretty good for that sort of PC, and the career comes with the Perception skill to boot.

Burglar is another good choice, with exploits Locksmith and Sixth Sense, and the skills appraisal, climbing, escape artist, and jumping.

Remove ads