N.E.W. I took the plunge. Now What?

Reynard

Legend
Awesome! Are they both humans?

Is Fighting: Melee a new skill you've come up with? Typically it would be brawling, or swords, etc.

Yeah, I am trying to streamline the skill list a little. It is just a preference I have. Keeping the list smaller means each individual resource point goes farther. So "melee" covers hitting things up close in a general sense, fist or club or axe. A "bolt thrower" is an exotic weapon in the setting so it gets its own skill.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, I am trying to streamline the skill list a little. It is just a preference I have. Keeping the list smaller means each individual resource point goes farther. So "melee" covers hitting things up close in a general sense, fist or club or axe. A "bolt thrower" is an exotic weapon in the setting so it gets its own skill.

Fair enough!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Reynard

Legend
HEALER
Descriptor: a tough as nails Healer that seeks absolution for a life of violence.

STR 6 (3d6);AGI 3 (2d6);END 7 (3d6);INT 6 (3d6);LOG 5 (2d6);WILL 6 (3d6);CHA 4 (2d6);LUC 7 (3d6);REP 3 (2d6)

SKILLS
Ancient Tech: Operation 1 (1d6); Fighting: Melee 3 (2d6); Intimidation 1 (1d6); Medicine 3 (2d6); Perception 3 (2d6); Persuasion 1 (1d6); Running 1 (1d6)

EXPLOITS
Alleviate condition. Using a healing kit, ou can administer medicine to remove any condition instantly (stunned, blinded, and so on). This takes two actions (a full turn) and reduces any status track by one stage automatically. It takes one minute for the healing kit to resupply the medicine.
Feint. This is identical to the aim exploit, but for melee combat; it grants +1d6 bonus to an attack roll taken in the same turn. The attack action must come immediately after the feinting action.
Healing hands. Using a healing kit, you can heal 1d6 points of HEALTH to an adjacent creature as a single action. Any given creature can only benefit from your healing in this way once per day.
Exceptional healing hands [requires Healing Hands]. Your Healing Hands ability increases to 2d6 points of HEALTH.
Hunker down. Cover grants you one extra die of cover.
Shiv. You are easily able to improvise weapons using your surroundings – glasses, rocks, and so on. You always count as carrying a knife or club.
Stimulant. Using a healing kit, you can administer medicine which increases the Agility dice pool of one character by 1d6 for five minutes. It takes one minute for the healing kit to resupply the stimulant.

TRAIT
Tough-as-nails. You gain a +2 SOAK bonus which stacks with any other SOAK scores you may have.

Reynard

Legend
GUIDE
Descriptor: a deadeye guide that does not trust technology.

STR 4 (2d6);AGI 8 (3d6);END 6 (3d6);INT 6 (3d6);LOG 4 (2d6);WILL 6 (3d6);CHA 4 (2d6);LUC 6 (3d6);REP 3 (2d6)

SKILLS
Climbing 1 (1d6); Fighting: Ranged 3 (2d6); Fighting: Melee 1 (1d6); Jumping 1 (1d6); Perception 3 (2d6); Repair 1 (1d6); Running 1 (1d6); Stealth 1 (1d6); Survival 3 (2d6)

13 Skill Ranks (Max 6)
7 Exploits
EXPLOITS
Aim. This is identical to the Feint exploit, but for ranged combat; it grants +1d6 bonus to an attack roll taken in the same turn. The attack action must come immediately after the aiming action.
Athletic. Choose four [physical] skills. You gain these four skills at 1 rank (1d6). This does not increase the rank of an existing skill.
Double tap. You fire two quick shots at your target at the cost of just one action, paying 2d6.
Perfect aim. The bonus you gain for the Aim exploit increases to +2d6.
Quick-hide.You are able to disappear while in plain sight. You can make a stealth check even while under observation to move your speed and become effectively invisible for a round. You may then make regular stealth checks as normal, but cannot repeat this feat against the same observer.
Quick naps. You've learned to manage with little sleep. As long as you get 4 hours, you count as fully rested.
Traveller. You are skilled at wilderness travel, at home under the open sky. You increase the travel increment of a group you lead by one day.

TRAIT
Deadeye. Once per day you automatically hit with a ranged shot within two range increments as long as you do not exchange any attack dice for damage dice or combine it with another exploit.

Reynard

Legend
BOTTLED DAEMON
Descriptor: a massive bottled daemon that chose to enter the material world and now regrets the choice.

STR 10 (4d6);AGI 3 (2d6);END 10 (4d6);INT 3 (2d6);LOG 10 (4d6);WILL 6 (3d6);CHA 1 (1d6);LUC --;REP 3 (2d6)

SKILLS
Ancient Tech: Operation 3 (2d6); Ancient Tech: Repair 3 (2d6); Computer Systems: Programming 3 (2d6); Computer Systems: Security 3 (2d6); Perception 1 (1d6)

EXPLOITS
Access ports. Can “plug in” to a computer or computerized system, granting direct access for a +1d6 bonus to checks
Achilles heel. Identifying a weakness in your target, you pay 2d6 and bypass its SOAK score. This exploit can only be performed once per target.
Armor. Plated with heavy armor, giving it SOAK 5 and a -1 penalty to its SPEED score.
Brush off. You contemptuously brush aside a melee attack, gaining the effect of cover from one melee attack form a creature of size MEDIUM or smaller.
Knockdown. The LARGE or small target is knocked prone for a cost of 2d6.
Lifter. Can lift double the normal weight.
Opportunist stomp. You can stomp on an adjacent prone opponent as a free action. This is an unarmed attack and uses your natural damage value.

TRAITS
Aether Sight. The bottled daemon sees the aether overlaid on the world. It cannot connect to the aether in any way and no daemons within the aether can detect the bottled daemon..
Automaton. Does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe.
Electronic vulnerability. Vulnerable (1d6) to electricity damage and vulnerable (2d6) to “magic” damage.
Massive. You are enormous and solid. You are immune to knockdown and knockback effects by anything LARGE or smaller.

GEAR
Integrated vice clamp, torque spanner and plasma torch

(This was a daemon designed primarily for information retrieval and escaped into what it did not realize at the time was an industrial automaton.)

Reynard

Legend
Here is the extra tough one: the Shaper, the mage PC.

SHAPER
Descriptor: a feeble Shaper that must know all the secrets of the old world.

STR 4 (2d6);AGI 5 (2d6);END 4 (2d6);INT 6 (3d6);LOG 6 (3d6);WILL 6 (3d6);CHA 4 (2d6);LUC 4 (2d6);REP 3 (2d6); MAG 6 (3d6)

SKILLS
Ancient Tech: Operation 1 (1d6); Arcane Lore 3 (2d6); Chemistry 1 (1d6); Engineering 1 (1d6); Geology 1 (1d6); Lost History 1 (1d6); Medicine 1 (1d6); Perception 1 (1d6); Physics 1 (1d6)

EXPLOITS
Aim. This is identical to the Feint exploit, but for ranged combat; it grants +1d6 bonus to an attack roll taken in the same turn. The attack action must come immediately after the aiming action.
Arcane knowledge base. Choose four [magical] skills and one element secret. You gain these four skills at 1 rank (1d6). This does not increase the rank of an existing skill.
Arcane secrets. You have learned or discovered four arcane secrets.
Attuned. You are able to detect magic easily. You do not need to make any kind of attribute check to detect magic within 30', and are aware of its existence automatically.
Jury-rig. You modify a weapon (yours or an adjacent ally's) to either increase its range by 50% or its damage by +1d6 until the start of your next turn.
Ritual. You can cast a specific spell of 3 MP or less as a ritual; this takes one minute per MP, but costs no MP. (Spell: Abjure Aether creates a stationary 30 diameter zone completely disconnected from the Aether. No daemons may enter or perceive into the area. 3 MP)
Scientific knowledge base. Choose four [scientific] skills. You gain these four skills at 1 rank (1d6). This does not increase the rank of an existing skill.

SHAPING
Skills: Abjure 3 (2d6); Divine 1 (1d6); Evoke 1 (1d6); Move 3 (2d6); Transmute 3 (2d6)
Secrets: Aether; Automatons; Daemons; Earth; Electricity

TRAIT
Feeble. You are physically weak and frail, which has taught you the value of brains over brawn. Once per day you may use a LOG check in place of a STR check and accomplish your goal through cunning and ingenuity.

Reynard

Legend
We finally played!

It turned out New year's Eve was a little harder on a couple folks than they expected so we ended up with just 4 instead of 6. I could have called in a couple other players who had sort of been on stand by but I decided with a new system and an incomplete Fantasy grounds integration it was just as well.

The PCs ended up being the Seeker, the Bodyguard, the Healer and the Bottled Daemon. The were dispatched from the Cliffside Cradle by the High Keeper to retrieve a "projector" from the Robot Ruins -- a 300 foot tall dead, overgrown mech from long before the Calamity. While on their way to the village of Wingtown -- formerly an aircraft graveyard, long since picked over -- they were attacked by howlers -- flying monkeys essentially. This was just a quick combat to get a handle on the very basics of the system and served its purpose well. No PCs got especially huirt and only one howler got stomped to death. I will note that I was a little worried because i used the ape entry from the bestiary as a base and they ended up seeming pretty powerful -- high dice pools, big damage and high defense scores. I teaked them down for my purposes.

Once in Wingtown they met a tinker/peddler named Turm that wanted to buy the Bottled Daemon's power core. The party refused and Thurm was offended and since the PCs let slip the true nature of the Bottled Daemon, Thurm started spreading rumors around town about the dangerous nature of the possessed automaton. Meanwhile, the Seeker went and found his old contact Ursula the Scav in the passenger aircraft tavern. She took a shine to the Healer -- the player played the character super naive despite my descriptor prod -- and between bartering for information on the Robot Ruin she tried to make nice with him. Also in the bar was a Pilgrim of Reversion -- essentially a harmless cultist that proselytizes about how technology and civilization were the downfall of mankind and that any attempt to reclaim either was sin. The bodyguard -- who the player portrayed as take no crap and intimidating -- made it clear that the Pilgrim bothering the Healer or anyone else was going to be met with perforation.

Eventually Ursula gives up what information she has. A "mad Maker" that has lived in the Robot Ruin for years has recently gotten much worse. instead of just ineffectually attempting to repair the thing he has started laying booby traps and targeting "trespassers" with sniper fire from the upper levers of the mech. The PCs also hear rumors that folks with access to or knowledge of ancient tech have been disappearing. Eventually, many of the townsfolk seem to be buying into Thurm's rumormongering -- Thurm himself has left town -- and the PCs decide to get out before things get ugly. Peasants with pitchforks can't really do anything against the giant stompy industrial robot inhabited by a very bored search engine, but it would turn out bad just the same.

Some ways down the road they find the tinker's ybix (a giant pack goat) and gear burning and no sign of Thurm. Without the Guide PC the party can't really gain too much information but the Bottled Daemon, through a clever use of aether sight, can tell that the few ancient tech trinkets Thurm carried for sale were taken. The party considers the possibility that the Pilgrims are responsible (they aren't but they were there as a red herring, so kudos) but ultimately decided Thurm was a big enough jerk that they weren't going to bother going after him or his goods until on their way back from the Robot Ruin.

Using Ursula's information they get close to the ruin and manage to avoid any unpleasant booby traps (the Seeker is even able to disarm one and use the explosives to give himself and the Bodyguard a couple ion -- aka "magic" -- grenades). The Bottled Daemon can see a damon flying in the aether around the head of the robot as well as multiple ley lines of energy flowing into various parts of it.* They realize they have to cover a lot of open ground in order to get to the feet of the robot. Once they do, the mad Maker starts taking pot shots. They basically had to cross 40 movement units, deciding whether to sue actions to dodge or just book or whatever. Meanwhile, the make made sniper attacks on one PC per round. There was cover, aiming, suppresive fire, overwatch and called shots against falling grenades all used during the encounter so we got to play briefly at least with lots of ranged combat sub rules. In the end they all made it alive to the feet of the mecha, although the Bodyguard (who was responsible for laying down the suppressive fire and was therefore exposed for much longer) was not looking good after a critical hit. At that point, the Bodyguard player had to leave since we had been playing for over four hours. i decided to call it and will try and schedule the remainder in the near future.

Overall I think it was a pretty good first dip into the WOIN system. There are some rule nuances that we missed a lot and players did not necessarily know how to best use their exploits. But I like the WEG Star Wars/d20 marriage vibe the system gives and will certainly play it more and see how it serves. Sometimes it is hard to try new games when you play them in a different game mode and I think since the players were a subset of my weekly FG D&D 5E group we sort of thought of it as 5E by default.

On a personal note, it was really cool to run a game in my novel setting. Just yesterday I finished final edits (I hired an editor and finished going through his edits, I mean) so I have been deeply immersed in it for some time. I set the game a generation after the novel (and potential sequels) so it was fun to imagine the results of my main characters actions.

I intend to keep this thread alive as I tinker with the system for this setting. In a perfect world, if I had the time and do end up thinking WOIN is a good fit, I would take advantage of the OGL nature of WOIN and put out a setting or standalone to augment the novels.

Good stuff, [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION].

* In case any of the players meander over here by chance, I will spoiler block it:
[spoilers]There was a side encounter with some bandits and their "warlock" master -- a person who has been contacted by a daemon via some aether device and given secrets in return for service. It turns out, the daemon circling the Robot Ruin is that same daemon. It has managed to use internal systems of the mecha to drive the mad Maker into a frenzy of repair using ancient tech stolen by the warlock's bandits. If the mad Maker can get the Robot Ruin fixed, the daemon will enter the mecha (much as the Bottled Daemon PC entered the industrial robot) and have a 300 foot tall war machine at its disposal.[/spoilers]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases