D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Storm King's Thunder: Waterdeep

Shayuri

First Post
"Well, sure, not GIANT necks," Ilshana agrees with a laugh. "But, maybe a better way to put it would be the giants would be neck deep in...us? Look, there'll just be a lot of giants coming, okay?!"

GreenKarl

First Post
OOC: Uric is fine with moving along and would probably enjoy going to the arena :)

Uric mostly remains quiet, enjoying the food and drink. He remains watchful though...

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
To anyone still hanging out at Dorkath's or other public establishments, there seem to be buzz for some kind of grudge match tonight involving local "college" teams.

OOC: Pacing is difficult with the split group, so let me know if you want to move on in some way. I have an interesting idea on a direction to take things to get things going a bit, but I need everyone to be at "ready" status for it that wants to participate. I don't want to cut off anyone's investigation or railroad anything a particular way.

OOC: Ready! Apologies for being MIA. I've had a nasty flu, plus the holidays didn't help. I'm back and definitely ready

Davaros had returned, and had spent the last hours at Dorkath's pizzeria. He wasn't used to frequenting such establishments, and found that the backroom chatter was rather interesting, compared to what normally went on at regular inns. The orc, even if he only came by to exchange pleasantries, seemed to to have multiple layers, was was undoubtedly well connected. Regardless, Davaros had done what he had set out to do in Waterdeep, and was now ready for action. He eagerly awaited the return of the others.

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: Fast forwarding a bit, let me know if you had more to do prior.

After some time there is a shuffle and bustle of traffic as many people move towards "The Deep", a moderately large arena set near Waterdeep's Harbors. While this particular game is only at a collegiate level, certainly no Abeir-Toril games, it is still quite popular with the locals.

Today's contest pits New Olamn Bard College and their captain Xingrum Swampwallow against the team from Foclucan college, the "House of the Harp", in Silverymoon. The challenge today is Hippogryph water polo.

Anyone choosing to attend, the entry fee is 1 gold piece, or 1 silver piece if you got your tickets from the student box office (a single dour half-elf working there). If Bell chose to attend the "swimming lessons" in advance, nobody notices her or whistler if they're still hanging around anywhere in particular.

Food is mostly sausages, beer is mostly watered down, and everything is at least twice the normal price.

The event is being loudly broadcast by thaumaturgy cantrips and senders around town so that those that want to can hear what's going on.

OOC: Just figuring out where anyone wants to be for this, it'll be a short side-trek of sorts.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: Davaros will follow if others want to attend, but he has no real reason for doing so. I want to avoid splitting the party so we can get back on track.

Jago

Explorer
" But it makes no sense, they play in the water!"

" Right! But what if they didn't!?"

" Then, as I've been trying to bloody well explain, it is. not. Hippogryph. Water. Polo! It's ... It's some other sport! It's different!"

" But they can still keep the pool and keep the ball in play if it lands in the water! It'll completely revolutionize the game! Think of it! Strikers soaring high, making the pass to the Forward down below, only to dive and intercept a blocker in the water!"

" Next you'll be telling me you want Hellhound Races to feature real Hellhounds."

" But that's what it's called, it should featu-!"

" Where ... where the hell are we?"

Apparently that college-brewed ale had quite the kick: Koldan had been walking and debating with the gnome so intensely that he had not realized they had left the bar, let alone were in a completely different district. In fact, they were in a stadium, and Koldan noted with a sigh that his purse felt a twinge lighter.

The Gnome whistled sharply, throwing his hands up in a victory stance as the pair stood at the top of a long flight of stairs.

" LET'S GO NEW OLAMN! Show those Harpies who's Boss!"

A resounding cheer of agreement went up from the section Koldan was closest to, the Ranger wondering if there were actually words coming from the crowd or just a ceaseless wave of din. He ... He was pretty sure they were saying "Olay" or the like, it almost sounded sing-song in cadence.

" I need to stop drinking with college kids," he lamented, scanning the crowds as best he could. Perhaps, with how large the event was, his companions might have found their way here as well.

[sblock=Koldan's Stats]Character Sheet
Revised Ranger Deep Stalker 6

HP: 52/52
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +4 (Advantage)
Perception: +6 (Passive: 16)
Darkvision: 90 feet
In Hand: Nothing

[sblock=Defenses]AC: 16
Str:+2
Dex:+6
Con:+2
Int:+0
Wis:+3
Cha:-1[/sblock]
[sblock=Offenses]Heavy Crossbow: +8, 1d10+3P (Sharpshooter: +3, 1d10+13 P)
Scimitar: +6, 1d6+3 S (Offhand: +6, 1d6 S)
+4 Damage to All Humanoids & Giants[/sblock]
[sblock=Proficient Skills]Acrobatics: +6
Insight: +6
Investigation: +3
Perception: +6
Stealth: +6
Survival: +6[/sblock]
[sblock=Spells]Spell Save DC: 14 Spell Attack: +6
Level 1: 4/Long Rest
Disguise Self
Ensnaring Strike
Hail of Thorns
Hunter's Mark

Level 2: 2/Long Rest
Rope Trick
Silence
[/sblock]

[sblock=Adventure Notes]
[sblock=Transactions]Total Coin: 47 GP
Starting Coin: 40 GP
+10 GP - Sold Giant's Tooth to Dorkath The Orkath
-1 GP - Tipped Dorkath
-1 GP - Tipped Splinter
-1 GP - Entry fee to the HWP Game[/sblock]
Game Info:
Fire Giants attacked Triboar looking for a "Vonindod", which they called a weapon that was in many parts. Fire Giant Duke Zalto of Ironslag wants this to "win".

Darathra was a Harper: she gave me a Platinum Badge of Triboar to present to Dorkath The Orkath to let him know of the attack.

There is a Kobold in the area of Yartar named "Lightwalker", a craftsman with 'some incredible weapons'.

There is a 5,000 GP Bounty on "The Weevil", a Dwarven Brigand last seen at Xantharl's Keep as a stable cleaner. The reward is for delivering him alive to authorities in Mirabar.

Ghelryn Foehammer has given us a letter of recommendation to King Morinn and Queen Tithmel of Citadel Fellbar. Ghelryn will also give us a 10% discount on customized weapons and armor in Triboar.

Harshnag is a Frost Giant of FORCE GREY should be told about the Giants. Apparently his company was 'mostly murdered' after an encounter with a Dragon and a Traitor.

The Kraken Society is a criminal organization that worships 'some tentacled horror of the deep', and was been gathering artifacts related to the Ancient Giant Civilization that was destroyed in a war with Dragons.[/sblock][/sblock]

Yavathol

Explorer
OOC: Davaros will follow if others want to attend, but he has no real reason for doing so. I want to avoid splitting the party so we can get back on track.

OOC: What he said:)

"Don't we have more important things to be doing?" Gul moaned to no one in particular, while reluctantly grabbing some of the sausages.

"Maybe we could talk to some of the people from Silverymoon after the game, and see if any of them has heard about unusual giant activity?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Bellalalalinda is already on the pool deck by the time the others arrive, and she has participated in her swimming lesson to the best of her ability, and once she learned the nature of the event that would follow, she wanted to stay.

"Where do you get the hippogriffs?" she asked. She had never seen one before, and here were dozens. "How much do they eat?" "Could I maybe ride one sometime?" "Do you rent them?" "Do they like having bridles?" "Do they sometimes feel trapped in their stables?" "How intelligent are they?" Here was something useful for the group, she thinks. A possible mount for the party, or maybe some creatures that needed rescuing. When the others arrived she pointed enthusiastically at the marvellous creatures, and nodded enthusiastically, but it is possible her signals were misunderstood by the others.

Whistler sat with his feet dangling in a hot tub that the athletes didn't appear to be using.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The games begin and the crowd cheers. The contest seems quite absurd to anyone who hasn't been a fan of the game before. Within short order both teams have scored one time going into half-time.

As the crowd is distracted by the water elemental ballet half-time show, others may notice that something seems wrong over in the home team corner. It appears that one of the team members has turned a pale white color and is convulsing. Medics rush to the sidelines and someone yells, "I'm a cleric!" and rushes over. After a few seconds the body stops moving, and then a small squid-like creature emerges from the poor athlete's mouth. It's quickly skewered by one of the player's teammates, but the damage is done. The crowd panics, some fleeing, some staring on in confusion.

Suddenly a number of event goers turn pale and start vomiting fish guts, octopi, squids, and eels.

An announcement rings out canceling the games and telling everyone to leave in an orderly and calm fashion. This incites more panic. People start shoving each other attempting to get through the doors creating a swell of pressure that threatens to crush some people as they try to flee.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases