STAR TREK ADVENTURES Public Playtest Launches

The public playtest for Modiphius' Star Trek Adventures tabletop RPG has launched worldwide with over 5,000 players in a storyline penned by writers including Dayton Ward (NYT bestselling author) and Scott Pearson. The living campaign will run until mid-2017, when the core rulebook is released, taking place in the unexplored Shackleton Expanse near Starbase 364. Different playtest experiences are available depending on which group playtesters signed up for, with different groups focusing on combat, diplomacy, and so on.

The public playtest for Modiphius' Star Trek Adventures tabletop RPG has launched worldwide with over 5,000 players in a storyline penned by writers including Dayton Ward (NYT bestselling author) and Scott Pearson. The living campaign will run until mid-2017, when the core rulebook is released, taking place in the unexplored Shackleton Expanse near Starbase 364. Different playtest experiences are available depending on which group playtesters signed up for, with different groups focusing on combat, diplomacy, and so on.

st-awayteam-finalcrop_1.jpg

LONDON, ENGLAND (December 1, 2016): Modiphius Entertainment, publisher of the Achtung! Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles, Conan, Infinity and John Carter of Mars roleplaying games, announces the missions for the Star Trek Adventures™ living campaign playtest, to develop the first official Star Trek RPG in more than a decade, are now live with more than 5,000 players and counting. To join the campaign, visit www.modiphius.com/star-trek.

Thousands of players around the world will adventure through the Star Trek universe like never before in an epic storyline written by New York Times Bestselling Star Trek author Dayton Ward and Scott Pearson (Star Trek novellas: The More Things Change, Among the Clouds, Terra Tonight), developed by Nathan Dowdell (Black Crusade, Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition, Corvus Belli's Infinity: The Roleplaying Game and Robert E Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of) and lead writerDavid F Chapman (Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space Roleplaying Game, Conspiracy X 2.0, Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG). Joining them are an interstellar line-up including writers from all previous editions of the Star Trek roleplaying game, as well as big names from across the tabletop gaming industry including:

Shawn Merwin (Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition: War of Everlasting Darkness, Halls of Undermountain, Dungeon Delve), Jim Johnson (Lord of the Rings RPG, Mage: The Awakening, Shadowrun Augmentation), Jacob Ross (Legend of the Five Rings, Mongoose Traveller, Kaigaku), Patrick Goodman (Shadowrun: Fifth Edition, Shadowrun: Street Legends, Shadowrun: Storm Front), Ross Isaacs (Line Developer Star Trek RPG (Decipher) and Star Trek: The Next Generation Roleplaying Game (Last Unicorn Games), Ian Lemke(Changeling: The Dreaming, White Wolf Publishing, Earth Down), John Snead(Mindjammer: Traveller, Eclipse Phase, Star Trek Next Generation RPG Last Unicorn Games.), Dan Taylor (IDW Publishing's Star Trek comics), Bill Maxwell (Fading Suns, Star Trek Roleplaying Game, Mage: The Awakening), Tim Beach (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Red Steel, Maztica Campaign Set, Hail the Heroes, Dungeons of Mastery, City of Delights) and Andrew Peregrine (Doctor Who, 7th Sea, Victoriana).

As well as Aaron Pollyea (Battletech), Oz Mills (Fantasy AGE Bestiary, Dragon Age: Faces of Thedas), Ade Smith (Mutants and Masterminds: Atlas of Earth Prime - Northern Europe, Rogue Gallery. Fainting Goat Games: Extreme Earth), Chris Huff (Mutants & Masterminds Freedom's Most Wanted, DC Adventures RPG Heroes & Villains Volume 1, DC Adventures RPG Heroes & Villains Volume 2), John Kennedy (Ninja Crusade 2E, Infinity Tabletop Roleplaying Game, Myth Board Game), Kevin Mickelson (Mask of Death, A Learning Time, A Frightful Time, A Miraculous Time), Ryan Schoon (Fragged Empire, Edara: The Steampunk Renaissance, Baby Bestiary) and Chris Huff (DC Adventures, Mutants & Masterminds, Pathfinder).

The playtest gives fans of the legendary television series and films the opportunity to contribute to the development of the game; to sit in the captain's chair, seek out new life and new civilizations, give all they've got to a warp core breach, or explore their own adventures in the Star Trek universe.

The living campaign begins with playtest missions and will continue with the release of the core rulebook in the summer of 2017. The living campaign takes place in the Shackleton Expanse, an area of space vastly unexplored by both the Federation and the Klingons. Starbase 364, Narendra Station, named after the battle of Narendra III where the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-C was destroyed, serves as the keep on the borderlands for excursions out into the frontier of space.

As the crews of the U.S.S. Venture, U.S.S. Bellerophon, U.S.S. Thunderchild, explore strange anomalies and discover new life while uncovering an ancient civilization and mysterious technologies, those aboard the U.S.S. Lexington will shape historical events for those very ships.

Assignments are still open for Captains and Officers to take their place aboard the bridge and make Star Trek gaming history. Further, local game shops organizing an in-store playtest group will receive starbase status with pre-order promotions for the game's retail release. Fans attending Dragonmeet in London on Saturday will have the final chance to receive a free Captain Kirk or Captain Picard figure when they sign up for the Star Trek Adventures playtest.

To register yourself or your group online, visit www.modiphius.com/star-trek.

To register as a retailer, visit http://www.modiphius.com/retail-support.html

Under license by CBS Consumer Products, Star Trek Adventures is slated for a Summer 2017 release and the playtest crews will be listed in the Star Trek Adventures book manifest.

aramis erak

Legend
The adventure merits running a couple of times; it's a great introductory module, at least for experienced gamers.

Yes, I've gotten it to table.

I've just played it today at a RPG con and found the experience far more uninspiring than it should have been. The actual amount of material we got to play would have at best been equivalent to a cold open + first act.

Mostly I think that's down to the Lexington's opening module being incredibly poorly done. The experience was essentially 2 and a half hours of nearly constant dice rolling with minimal opportunities for roleplaying only for the session to be abruptly end because part 2 apparently hasn't been written yet (although the GM kindly threw us a bone and gave us an extra scene based on the GM notes that at least left us in a better position narratively with a sense of closure.

aramis erak

Legend
I've just played it today at a RPG con and found the experience far more uninspiring than it should have been. The actual amount of material we got to play would have at best been equivalent to a cold open + first act.

Mostly I think that's down to the Lexington's opening module being incredibly poorly done. The experience was essentially 2 and a half hours of nearly constant dice rolling with minimal opportunities for roleplaying only for the session to be abruptly end because part 2 apparently hasn't been written yet (although the GM kindly threw us a bone and gave us an extra scene based on the GM notes that at least left us in a better position narratively with a sense of closure.

Actually, the module itself is on par with the other 2 I've seen and run.

The system, as it stands, is adding little of benefit in creating the feel of star trek. It's adding little in the way, either. And the designer's harping on the need for it to be very ill defined in order to do Trek justice. Can't snap him from his delusion there.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yeah my group has about decided already that if no real changes are to be made, it will not be our system of choice. I did like the Lexington adventure though.

aramis erak

Legend
Yeah my group has about decided already that if no real changes are to be made, it will not be our system of choice. I did like the Lexington adventure though.

y'all need to tell modiphius that. A handful of storygamers are dominating the playtest forums. I'm apparently the lone voice on the forum for a less unstructured approach.

The ship combat, tho', works, and works well.

aramis erak

Legend

y'all need to tell modiphius that. A handful of storygamers are dominating the playtest forums. I'm apparently the lone voice on the forum for a less unstructured approach.

The ship combat, tho', works, and works well.

Howdy Aramis - imagine finding you on here... Lol - So my take on the playtest so far is, it's awesome. It's every bit as good as the FASA Trek, better in some ways. Extended tasks are still a bit in flux as the rules get tweaked for certain power gaming munchkin groups (*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* *koff* Aramis' *koff*) but other than that, it feels like Star Trek. And THAT is a very tall order indeed.

Remove ads

Remove ads