D&D 5E [OOC] The New World (Volo Monsters)

ammulder

Explorer
Here's my shorthand status board. I plan to keep this updated as we go:

Code:
                Pasiv
NAME           | P/I | Init | HP  | Mv | DV |Slots|DC| W/D/C |AC|
Drutha Keldret  12/12  +0/12 13/6   30'  60'           0/0/5  17 
Karok the Crow  12/10  +2/13  9/9   30'  60'  2/1  11  0/2/5  12
Moon Moon       14/14  +3/17 10/    30'  60'  2/1  12  4/3/2  16 
Nert Muckshredd 14/12  +3/19 12/    30'  60'           2/5/2  14 
Ripnek Ratkille 15/11  +3/19 10/8   30'  60'           1/5/2  14 
Saashala        10/10  +2/13  9/    30'  60'  1/1  13  2/2/1  13

Drutha Keldret  Saving Face           1 per rest:
Drutha Keldret  Second Wind           1 per rest: 
Moon Moon       Grovel, Cower, and B  1 per rest:
Moon Moon       Wild Shape            2 per rest:
Nert Muckshredd Fury of the Small     1 per rest:

Drutha Keldret  HD 1 x 1d10: used
Karok the Crow  HD 1 x 1d6:
Moon Moon       HD 1 x 1d8: used
Nert Muckshredd HD 1 x 1d10:
Ripnek Ratkille HD 1 x 1d8: used
Saashala        HD 1 x 1d8:

Maps:

XP: 140 each

Mission 1:

As you may note from my post count this is my first PbP here, so feel free to point out anything I could be doing better.

And here are links to the other threads:

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Question about my flavor cantrips, Gust and Shape Water. How much leeway are you going to give me with those. Cause Shape Water is freakishly versatile if read right. I mean, it's basically water bending that can't hurt anyone. Shaping the water into the shape of simple items, then freezing it to give simple tools, mix it with sawdust, then shape it into a shield or armor, then freezing it to make Pykrete (you can actually make whole boats out of pykrete that won't melt for days), and all kinds of neat things. If enough water is present, you could even shape blocks and build a makeshift structure out of ice. It'll only last an hour, unless he continues to focus on it, but it's possible.

So...how far are you going to let me go with that? It has little combat utility, except for maybe creating a five foot cube wall for cover (which would be pretty useful). But it's a lot of flavor that I could have a lot of fun with out of combat.

Gust is a little more straightforward, but i'd like it to be a little more like controlling the wind around me in non harmful ways. Little cyclones, and the like, instead of just "Push air in one direction".

But that's your call. I'll bow to whatever.

ammulder

Explorer
Question about my flavor cantrips, Gust and Shape Water. [...]

Gust: I think a cyclone could qualify as a "harmless sensory effect using air". So for instance, you could create a small cyclone to do the classic swirl the leaves up off the ground, or stir up the leaves behind you in the path you just walked. I wouldn't let you pick up enough leaves or grit to impair visibility or sting someone's eyes, though.

Shape Water: Pykrete is right out, being a modern invention. The spell says "simple shapes" so I would allow a solid wall, a one-piece weapon (though most I can conceive of would likely break or shatter after the first hit), or possibly a shield (the body of the shield is fine, it's the grip I have trouble with). I can't envision any kind of armor being "a simple shape". I wouldn't allow you to make multiple pieces or blocks and assemble something with them. Tools are hard to say. You could possibly fashion a one-use key if it was a big one; something as small as a modern housekey seems likely to break off before working. I can't see making tools as delicate as lockpicks and having them be sturdy enough to work. You could make an ice key or pick to break off in a lock to jam it for an hour, perhaps. You could make a big spike to stick somebody's head on the door for an hour as a warning to others. However, if somebody was going to be intentionally holding or wearing an ice item on an ongoing basis, I think they'd take damage from the cold without some kind of protection or cold resistance (I checked Heat Metal by way of comparison, and 2d8/round seems way too much for this, but that's a 2nd level spell).

For just creating/animating "simple shapes" in the water, I'd probably let you make a "face" but more like a child's "smiley face" than a specific face with recognizable features. You could make it clear that the face was talking, but nobody would be able to read its lips. Maybe a fist, or an arrow pointing to the "right" corridor, or something like that, but not text, for instance.

Does that help?

tglassy

Adventurer
Cool beans! I'll just try stuff, and if it sounds a little outrageous, then I'll ask first. Question. Could I cause the water to fill a lock and then freeze it, thus causing the water to expand which would then break the lock? Because according to physics, that's how that would work.

ammulder

Explorer
Question. Could I cause the water to fill a lock and then freeze it, thus causing the water to expand which would then break the lock? Because according to physics, that's how that would work.

Again, both physics and low-temperature metallurgy sound like modern knowledge to me.

Besides, I don't plan to especially honor the laws of physics in a party with a Orc Sorcerer. :)

tglassy

Adventurer
Don't know if it matters, but I rolled for his height and weight. He's 6' 4", and weighs 275 pounds. I should have given him more strength.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Although it is a very bugbear-y thing to do, Ripnek sleeping is sort of getting me out of the IC interactions... Not too smart of me, eh? :)

Anyway, Ripnek is not one to argue against any course of action at the moment (nor will he when he wakes). What do we do?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases