D&D 5E Homebrew Giant Elites

dave2008

Legend
Yep.

With the damage enhanced by adding 1 damage for each d6 rolled due to Fire in the Blood, the first three rounds would be:

Delayed Blast Fireball: 54 damage x 2 = 108 damage
Fireball cast at 6th level: 49.5 x 2 = 99 damage
Fireball cast at 5th level: 45 x 2 = 90 damage

Total: 297 over 3 rounds, averaging 99 damage/round, which is CR 16. The save DC of 16 drops that by 1 for a total offensive CR of 15. With a defensive CR of 7, that averages to a CR 11. That's why I had to pull incendiary cloud from them, since that caused things to get totally ridiculous on the offensive side...

Got it - thanks! I didn't feel like running the numbers to check.

That makes him a bit of a glass cannon, but he would certainly amp up the difficulty of a group of Fire Giants. That is really the best thing about this exercise of yours. With the MM + VGM + DET (Demetrios Enworld Thread) we can start building really interesting and challenging giant encounters.

Last edited:

Got it - thanks! I didn't feel like running the numbers to check.

That makes him a bit of a glass cannon, but he would certainly amp up the difficulty of a group of Fire Giants. That is really the best thing about this exercise of yours. With the MM + VGM + DET (Demetrious Enworld Thread) we can start building really interesting and challenging giant encounters.
Indeed. I pointed out some tactical ideas for mixed fire giant groups in the post, and there are certainly others. If the pyromancer has a couple of rounds to prepare, you can create a total death trap. Just have the pyromancer stand behind a dreadnought in a doorway with a few regular fire giants in a blocking line in the room ahead. Cast delayed blast fireball in front of the fire giant line and wall of fire directly on the fire giant line. When the party enters the room, detonate the juiced delayed blast fireball, and any survivors have to fight the fire giants while taking damage from the wall of fire. Even if they take the fire giants down, they still have to go through the wall of fire and then the dreadnought to get to the pyromancer, assuming they didn't retreat to set up a further ambush in the meantime. It can be set up to minimize ranged attacks as well with a little work (and the pyromancer has some cover behind that dreadnought anyway). Aren't lawful evil foes fun?

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Fire Giant Pyromancer
Huge giant (fire giant), lawful evil

Armor Class 10 (13 with mage armor)
Hit Points 187 (15d12 + 90)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 25 (+7) DEX 11 (+0) CON 23 (+6) INT 10 (+0) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 18 (+4)

Saving Throws Dex +4, Con +10, Cha +8
Skills Athletics +11, Perception +6
Damage Immunities fire
Senses passive Perception 16
Languages Giant
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)

OK, a few last thoughts on the pyromancer - I promise! ;)

1) For thematic reasons you might want to take down the Strength a little, just to show some variety and possibly to "compensate" for the higher Charisma. Maybe STR 23, but even just 24 shows some variation and you wouldn't have to adjust any bonus or checks

2) I might suggest adding training in a charisma based skill - intimidation maybe?

OK, a few last thoughts on the pyromancer - I promise! ;)

1) For thematic reasons you might want to take down the Strength a little, just to show some variety and possibly to "compensate" for the higher Charisma. Maybe STR 23, but even just 24 shows some variation and you wouldn't have to adjust any bonus or checks

2) I might suggest adding training in a charisma based skill - intimidation maybe?
Not bad ideas, especially with the strength, since the dreadnought and the duke (as we shall see) more than make up for that.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

This post will detail the Fire Giant Dukes, the leaders of fire giant society.

A quick note, as I will be traveling for Christmas, there will be a short hiatus in uploading new giants until the middle of next week or so.

Fire Giant Duke

Of all the types of giants, fire giants are the most regimented. Their society consists of a strict hierarchy, with each giant fulfilling a certain role based on his or her place in the ordning. Each individual's status is dependent on its skill at the forge - those who can do little more than shovel fuel and run the bellows are among the lowest levels of society, while the more talented artisans rank above, with their standing based on the skill of their craftsmanship. At the pinnacle of this society are the dukes and duchesses, whose skill at the forge is so beyond reproach that Sutur himself has seemingly blessed them with souls of flame.
Family Traditions
For the most part, the political system for each type of giant is some form of meritocracy, based on each race's view of the ordning - whoever is best at doing what each race thinks is ideal self-evidently should be the leader and, as a result, is virtually always considered to be so. From an outside perspective, fire giants seem to be the exception to this rule, since at first glance they seem to have something near a hereditary form of succession. Upon closer examination, however, this seeming paradox can be easily explained - fire giants base their status on craftsmanship at the forge, which is something that can be taught and securely passed down from one generation to the next, unlike, say, gluttony for hill giants or prowess in battle for frost giants. Upper-caste fire giants "game" the ordning, so to speak, by keeping certain crafting secrets within the family. As a result, families that have a large collection of such secrets gain significant advantage when it comes to being ranked in fire giant society. A typical fire giant duke or duchess will have a great amount of such proprietary knowledge, and will usually pass these secrets on to the most promising member of their family, so that the succession to the throne is secured from generation to generation. The downside to this is that the early death of a fire giant duke before such information can be transmitted to the designated heir will often mean the downfall of the dynasty, usually resulting in a short succession crisis until the new duke can be determined and raised. Sometimes this period passes relatively peacefully, with a simple contest of craftsmanship to determine the next duke. Sometimes, however, more violent means, ranging from murders and "accidents" to cull the field of potential candidates a bit, to outright civil war, are certainly not unheard of.
Souls of Fire
Showing skill at the forge pleases Surtur, and none please him more than the fire giant dukes and duchesses. As a result, they are blessed with powers well above that of ordinary fire giants. The very spirit of fire seems to infuse them, making their armor and weapons (usually great mauls in imitation of the hammers they wield at the forge) glow dull red with heat. While this causes no discomfort for their fire-tolerant subjects, outsiders often find that even being in the same room as a fire giant duke to be uncomfortably hot, even above the normal blazing heat of a fire giant settlement. Those foolish enough to draw too close or, worse, to actually come in contact with a duke or duchess often suffer horrific burns as a reward for their carelessness. Furthermore, if fire giant dukes feel personally threatened (a rare occurrence, given their usual bodyguard of dreadnoughts and pyromancers), they can channel this innate heat into a deadly concussive shockwave, knocking back foes in an outburst of heat and force. Should any enemies still survive after this fiery blast, the duke's maul often finishes them off as they lie stunned on the ground.

Fire Giant Duke
Huge giant (fire giant), lawful evil

Armor Class 18 (plate)
Hit Points 216 (16d12 + 112)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 27 (+8) DEX 12 (+1) CON 25 (+7) INT 13 (+1) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 13 (+1)

Saving Throws Dex +6, Con +12, Cha +6
Skills Athletics +13, Perception +7
Damage Immunities fire
Senses passive Perception 17
Languages Giant
Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)

Fire Aura A creature that touches the giant or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 7 (2d6) fire damage

Concussive Blast (Recharge 5 - 6). As a bonus action, the giant can focus its fire aura as a 30 foot cone blast. All creatures in that area must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) fire and 10 (3d6) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Creatures of Large size or smaller who fail their save are pushed 10 feet further away from the giant and are knocked prone. Using a concussive blast temporarily cools the giant's fire aura, causing it to do no damage until the giant's next turn.

Actions

Multiattack. The giant makes two maul attacks.

Maul. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 29 (6d6 + 8) bludgeoning damage plus 7 (2d6) fire damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 30 (4d10 + 8) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) fire damage.

Next, after my Christmas hiatus, we'll head up (both figuratively and literally) in the ordning, and detail the cloud giant shaman.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Looks great! I only have two specific comments:

Maul. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 27 (3d12 + 8) bludgeoning damage plus 7 (2d6) fire damage.

In 5e a maul does 2d6 damage, so the damage should be: 29 (6d6 + 8)

Rock: Maybe with his greater strength he should have a greater range? Or give him a "feat" that eliminates disadvantage for long range (effectively making his range 240). Or why not a spear/javelin instead of a rock?

Just my 2 cents!

Then one query about giants in general: I tend to think they should have more than a speed of 40 (at least some of them), maybe as high as 50.

Thank you again for the hard work!

Looks great! I only have two specific comments:

In 5e a maul does 2d6 damage, so the damage should be: 29 (6d6 + 8)

You're right of course, I was thinking that maul had different dice than the greatsword used by base fire giants. As I had maxed out the damage for the offensive DC, changing the weapon damage forced down the concussive blast damage a bit to keep the overall DC from rising, so both have been edited appropriately.

Rock: Maybe with his greater strength he should have a greater range? Or give him a "feat" that eliminates disadvantage for long range (effectively making his range 240). Or why not a spear/javelin instead of a rock?

Just my 2 cents!

About this, both the MM and VGtM make it clear that giants use rocks as their ranged option almost exclusively. I do have an idea for a storm giant variant that uses a bow as an exception to this rule, but as it's not one of the ones in my "main" list, I'll see about adding it after I get done with my original planned variants.

Remove ads