Pathfinder 1E Would an "expanded" Pathfinder Beginner game be of interest?

vivsavage

Explorer
A few years ago, the Pathfinder Beginner Box was released to much acclaim. My immediate reaction was "I wish this was a complete game rather than just an introduction." Now, obviously, you could use it as a complete game if you want to limit your advancement, etc. But I loved the simplified bestiary, limited choices of abilities and feats, and so on. I strikes me as a robust game that does away with the bloat.

My question is, would such a beast - a "complete" simplified Pathfinder - be something of interest? If so, how would you want it to differ from the Beginner Box, if at all? This assumes level that go to 20, more monsters, etc.

Note: I realize you could say that 5e is already a "basic" version of Pathfinder. I'm specifically aiming this question at people who generally enjoy Pathfinder/3.x and have not/will not switch to 5e.

Death Trader

First Post
TL;DR No but here's what you would have to do...

I think perhaps no. You could do it yourself but that's pretty much what the core rulebook is; It's the basics to level 20. If you part out, and pair down feats, spells, and equipment you pretty much have it but then you'll have to home-brew and get rid of opportunity attacks and then make it so you cannot make a ranged attack or cast spells next to someone as well so it's like the beginner box, which is just jankey combat rules.

If you were to do this, you could do this in a night or two with the four base classes in the beginner box. I think it could be fun if you had it as a resource for beginner's that you know are a little more serious about playing more than a one shot so they can see the potential of power and high level play. I would include the full combat rules then at that point though, but then at that moment you're really just doing the thing a DM should do for a new player by limiting their choices thus helping them pick correct feats and spells that are going to be useful and not wasteful or hindering.

oh and yeah more monsters and pre-written npc's and bandits.

innerdude

Legend
Note: I realize you could say that 5e is already a "basic" version of Pathfinder. I'm specifically aiming this question at people who generally enjoy Pathfinder/3.x and have not/will not switch to 5e.

Hmmm, I think they already have that game. It's called D&D Fifth Editi-----wait, what?

Crap. I hate it when the OP has the wherewithal to pre-empt mildly snarky replies. Well done, sir! Well done!

On a more serious note, I'd have to say that the bulk of the entire OSR movement is essentially a response to this express desire/need. If that's really what you're looking for, check out Castles & Crusades, the Adventurer, Conqueror, King (ACKS) system, BRP System, Dark(er) Dungeons, etc.

Take out feats and skills from any d20 system, and what you'll have left is pretty much the same everywhere.

vivsavage

Explorer
On a more serious note, I'd have to say that the bulk of the entire OSR movement is essentially a response to this express desire/need. If that's really what you're looking for, check out Castles & Crusades, the Adventurer, Conqueror, King (ACKS) system, BRP System, Dark(er) Dungeons, etc.

Take out feats and skills from any d20 system, and what you'll have left is pretty much the same everywhere.
I have all of the games you mentioned, but none of them do what I'm thinking about. If you have the Beginner Box, that is pretty much what I'm talking about. Same system as Pathfinder, but easier to manage. It still has feats and skills, but not to the overwhelming degree that PF core has.

You're not the first person to ask that question; but I imagine you'll get the same answer.

Paizo wants to use the beginner box to springboard you into Pathfinder proper. So don't expect them to put out an expansion to it.
3PP could do it, but most people would rather just put out more splat or make their own game.
You could hack Pathfinder to expand the Beginner Box yourself if you're so inclined, but I imagine you aren't.

Remove ads