Judge Dredd d20

Thunderstorm

First Post
Questions about Judge Dredd d20:

1. Are there many people who play J.D. d20?

2. What is the setting like? Comic book or movie?

3. I guess what I am asking for is some feed back on what you players out there think of the game. Is it worth the money and are any of the supplements good?

:confused:

4. And most importantly to me, and artwork buff....how is the artwork? I might be picky, but I don't care how the cool the game is if the artwork sucks I won't spend the money...

Let me know what you think....

Neo

Explorer
I play it on occasion, its very good and a lot like the comics, though I personally tend to run it with a measure of the gritiness I associate with the film.

There are some very good supplements available for it Rookies Guide to the Justice Department and Criminal Organisations being my personal favourite two, but all the books are filled with info, equipment, weapons, new feats, prestige classes and the like.

Neo

Explorer
Re: Judge Dredd???

Aeris Winterood said:
Nah..... No one plays it..... Stick with Cthulhu d20!!! :D

Actually there is at least one Yahoogroup full of people who play it, trouble with judge Dredd is its only really well known in the UK so most folks either have never heard of it or aren't bothered enough to find out.

Gospog

First Post
We play it!

We love it!

I've sculpted or converted over a dozen miniatures just for our campaign. Including monkeys.

One of our "rotating GMs" has been running a campaign for some time now. It is really, really fun.

The setting is sci-fi, but satire. The comics are pretty funny, at least to me as I am American and the point of the satire is British writers poking fun at American culture.

The movie was fun but the main hero (Stallone) and villain (some guy with a lisp) were awful. Still a decent picture of Mega-City One, however.

The D20 rules really appeal to me. They are fast, fast, fast! The way they handle gunfights and armor is impressive.

I rank it with M&M as a cool way to look at D20 rules.

Go get it! It's fun!

Corinth

First Post
JD's exposure in the US will go up thanks to Dark Horse's deal with 2000AD to publish the JDvAliens story through their channels. I'm eagerly awaiting the TPB collection of this story; it'll be my way to introduce JD newbies into life in the Big Meg.

Last edited:

dpmcalister

Explorer
I've only played two sessions so far and, although I love the setting (my first ever game I ran was the original Judge Dredd RPG back in the early '80s) I'm not too keen on this d20 version.

Why? Well, mainly because the rules aren't laid out very well in the book. During last week's session, we were up against quite a few perps who had no intention of surrendering so, given the situation one of the Judges decided to go with Hi-Ex rounds. We hadn't used these rounds before, so a quick look in the rules was called for.

This quick look lasted 15 minutes as we tried to find out what would happen if he missed his to hit roll (we couldn't see any rules to cover that). Additionally, a Hi-Ex shot has an area of 10 ft. but what is the definition of "area"? If it's the mathematical definition, then the blast doesn't even cover a 5 ft. square! So is it a 10 ft. radius or diameter?

Later we decided to use richocet (sp?) rounds... yep, couldn't find any rules for how they bounced off walls or objects.

Sure, I'm enjoying the game, but the rules need to be looked at and laid out better (because I'm sure that the rules we were looking for are there, we just couldn't find them!)

Last edited:

Gospog

First Post
Originally posted by dpmcalister:
Additionally, a Hi-Ex shot has an area of 10 ft. but what is the definition of "area"? If it's the mathematical definition, then the blast doesn't even cover a 5 ft. square! So is it a 10 ft. radius or diameter?

I beleive they mean "area" as described in the player's handbook. I don't have mine with me right now, but I'm pretty sure a 10 foot area is 2 squares, 5 feet each. It would blow up 2 squares, then, in every direction. (ouch)

...as we tried to find out what would happen if he missed his to hit roll (we couldn't see any rules to cover that).

If the book doesn't say what happens (and I don't think it ever does), then I think it's safe to assume nothing happens. With the amount of shots a Lawgiver can fire on full-auto, not counting character feats and whatnot, keeping track of missed shots could be really time-consuming!

Later we decided to use richocet (sp?) rounds... yep, couldn't find any rules for how they bounced off walls or objects.

Well, if I remember correctly, the rulebook does state how to treat these shots depending on how small of a space you shoot them into.
As for bouncing them off of a corner or taking a "trick shot", I would say that this is something for the GM to adjucate, which brings me to my next point...

If you spent 15 minutes looking something up, it may be that your GM needs to make more judgement calls during the game, and just keep things moving. When these sort of things happen when I GM ( and they happen to everyone at one time or another), I write down the general question to look up later.
I then make my temporary ruling on how this will be handled this game, and we move on.

If someone calls a bathroom break, or everyone goes home , I grab the book and then spend 15 minutes looking up my answer.

I'm not saying what works for us will definately work for you, but I'd hate to see this fun game ruined for you guys by rules problems. I hope our experiences can help you out.

Good luck and have fun! :cool:

dpmcalister

Explorer
Thanks for the answers Gospog, we did find the richocet (sp?) answer the following session, and the area thing I should have realised would be in the PHB (the one book that no-one remembered to bring!).

As for GM judgement calls, I agree, but our GM for Judge Dredd is a newbie (first time GMing ever, and only been role-playing for a year or so). As can be expected, he prefers to go by the rules and isn't too keen on making judgement calls yet. No doubt this will come with time - especially as the more experienced GMs offer advice from time to time (don't get me wrong, we don't tell him what to do, just suggest, normally after the game, how we'd handle it).

Once again, thanks :D

Remove ads