Play Your Way to 20: More Changes Announced for AL

flametitan

Explorer
I'll have to take a look at 3-16. I never got around to picking up all of the season 3 stuff, and even if I never run it, it sounds like it'll bee insightful to my home games.

RCanine

First Post
Well.... there will be plenty of traps, don't worry about that. I also included some DM direction on:

- how trap-heavy the adventure is, and how to adjust for the table's needs
- how to swap traps as-needed, including rules, damage scales, and suggestions
- how to handle "death traps"

Really, a trap should supplement and enhance an encounter or environment - not become divisive and game-ending.

The smell test is that if the adventure encourages you to stop and search for traps every step, something's not right

Anthraxus

Explorer
The Durlag adventures are seasonal (5-08 and 5-09) at tier 3. I originally set out to link them MUCH more closely to the original video game setting, but ran into a few hurdles:

So... I managed to prepare the Durlag's Tower(5-08) and Tomb(5-09) mods,and run them for three 15th level characters and one 11th level character over the weekend(as a regional preview at a convention). I've been trying to replay through Baldur's Gate, as I never finished it back when it was released. I meant to play the Durlag's Tower area before the convention, but couldn't manage to find the time.

I finally played through 2/3's of the area and managed to get my main character turned to stone(and... had to reload to before the Tower map :mad: ).

Playing the tower was a letdown compared to the mods, Alan! Bravo! :cool:

warfteiner

First Post
So... I managed to prepare the Durlag's Tower(5-08) and Tomb(5-09) mods,and run them for three 15th level characters and one 11th level character over the weekend(as a regional preview at a convention). I've been trying to replay through Baldur's Gate, as I never finished it back when it was released. I meant to play the Durlag's Tower area before the convention, but couldn't manage to find the time.

I finally played through 2/3's of the area and managed to get my main character turned to stone(and... had to reload to before the Tower map :mad: ).

Playing the tower was a letdown compared to the mods, Alan! Bravo! :cool:

woot, glad you enjoyed them! insta-kills are generally not fun, indeed.

Scorpienne

First Post
Did you DM for us at Anonycon? 15th lvl devotion paladin (Brangien), 15th level lore bard (Sting), 15th level mutt/shadow monk (Balcala), 11th lvl war cleric (Thorgrim), and 15th level eldritch knight (memory failure)?

If so, props to you man. We were a handful and you did well.

Paige

Tony Vargas

Legend
Maybe -- or maybe it'll point out that, just like in previous editions, high level play is broken and can only be enjoyed narratively.

Time will tell.
Arguably, if the DM isn't doing something to 'fix' it, D&D (5e specifically, but 3e & earlier, as well, with slightly different break point levels) starts out a bit broken at 1st level, gets better through a mid-level 'sweet spot,' and breaks again at 'high' level (which might be anywhere from 10th through 15th). The APs already take us into arguably-broken level territory, so if folks are successfully running them through, it's likely they'll be able to spin out a 1-20 run, as well, with a little determination & luck.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases