AL FAQ and Table-Generated Permanent Magic Items

The AL FAQ (as downloaded this morning), with regard to Permanent Magic Items generated from Treasure Table rolls, still states...

DM's should never award permanent magic items in this way, including (but not limited to) permanent items with a limited number of charges...

However the SKT AL Legal FAQ document (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OEHuo9GN3HZGNqWXd5dVNYVEU/view) specifically allows this and provides guidelines for doing so. Since there are many season-specific exceptions listed in the General FAQ, could the SKT exception be mentioned there as well? Thanks!

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Rather than keep updating the entry with each exceptional season -- I'd be surprised if SKT was the last season we'll get random treasure tables -- it would probably make more sense to simply add, "unless there has been specific instructions issued on how to use random treasure tables in a hardcover adventure."

It would probably be a good idea to replace other specific exceptions in the FAQ with general advice to look for exceptions in the current season ALPG, ALDMG, or other campaign documentation. At the very least, it will help keep the FAQ evergreen.

--
Pauper

Last edited:

An FAQ is meant to address specific questions in detail, and this one specifically deals with rolling treasure. Since there is an exception to this rule in SKT, at least directing people to that exception would be very helpful.

I'll use the SKT-specific FAQ, of course. But given that the main FAQ is updated pretty regularly (current version is only a few weeks old), thought I'd bring it up.

warfteiner

First Post
Substantial update of the FAQ is inbound. We hammered out the admin copy last night; letting it marinate for a bit and will be reviewing before passing to the proverbial office for approval.

abs

First Post
After reading it a few times, it seems to me the passage in question is about the section on generating an entire treasure trove. The SKT FAQ seems more geared to rolls for individual items. In other words, you can roll for individual magical items on Tables A, B and C+ starting on page 144 of the DMG. However, you can not use the tables to determine how many magical items are present in a treasure hoard using the challenge level on page 136 of the DMG.

At least that's my interpretation. I do think the language should be clearer if this is the case.

kalani

First Post
One thing that people seem to have overlooked is that immediately following the Exception regarding Random Magic items, is another exception detailing Adventure specific Amendments (such as the SKT FAQ)

Exception – Adventure Amendments
If the adventure has an Official Amendments document (e.g., Out of the Abyss or Curse of Strahd), it is treated as Official Adventurers League Errata for the purposes of determining treasure, and other details.

The above quote means that while you cannot normally award random magic items, if an adventure amendment instructs you to do so - you should (but only for that adventure).

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
One thing that people seem to have overlooked is that immediately following the Exception regarding Random Magic items, is another exception detailing Adventure specific Amendments (such as the SKT FAQ)

The above quote means that while you cannot normally award random magic items, if an adventure amendment instructs you to do so - you should (but only for that adventure).
Well, I don't think anyone is claiming there's an outright "bug" in the system.

The suggestion is to make this clear precisely because of the reason you mention: people seem to overlook that exception.

Let's hope the incoming FAQ changes the language of the rule itself to make this more immediately clear :)

Remove ads