[Dec 2016] What Are You Reading?

Richards

Legend
I just started Foreigner, the third book in Robert J. Sawyer's "Quintaglio" series, which takes place on the moon of a Jupiter-like planet that was seeded with dinosaur life back when they were the dominant species on Earth. It's now present day and the dinosaurs have since evolved into an intelligent race. The first book, Far-Seer, tells the story of that world's equivalent to Gallileo; the second book, Fossil Hunter, tells of the dinosaur equivalent of Charles Darwin. I read those two 20 years or so ago but never found the third in the trilogy until recently. This one seems to have the dinosaur equivalent of Sigmund Freud, although there's a plot hook about the discovery of one of the spaceships that relocated the dinosaurs to the moon all those years ago that makes me suspect the "foreigner" in the title will be a dinosaur astronaut returning to Earth. (Sawyer does enjoy his "friendly aliens visiting Earth" stories.)

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I am currently reading "the Crusades" By Zoe Oldenbourg. Its History but a magnificent read. I highly recommend it. She is a fantastic Author.

I looked this up on Amazon with thought towards picking this up just for my own edification and enjoyment, but many of the reviews were along the lines of "not for the lay person".

So if I'm coming in without either an existing grounding in the Crusades and also want to read it just for discovery and interest, not for any specific purpose, how would you rate this?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Hey, two weeks off school and one week off work ! So I'm making up for lost time B-) (and STILL not getting much sleep at night :p ).
- Where Are the Customers' Yachts? Wall Street follies today and in 1940 are a lot alike, no matter how much you regulate them.
- Contrarian Investment Strategies. A way to 'get in first' when the company is solid but unpopular; wait until it becomes a fad; sell to a greater fool.
- Men Without Work. Data-packed analysis of a troubling social trend: over the last 50 years, more and more men don't need to work to make a living. (So how do they buy groceries?)
Just picked up:
- A Random Walk Down Wall Street. Picked it based on its reputation, haven't started yet to give a one-sentence plot thesis.
Put on hold but not at top of list yet:
- The 100 Best Stocks to Buy in 2017. The title is self-explanatory.

Can you tell what I am going to be thinking about in the next 2-3 weeks?

Brandegoris

First Post
I looked this up on Amazon with thought towards picking this up just for my own edification and enjoyment, but many of the reviews were along the lines of "not for the lay person".

So if I'm coming in without either an existing grounding in the Crusades and also want to read it just for discovery and interest, not for any specific purpose, how would you rate this?

If you are a fantasy Nerd you will be just fine. :)
I admit I am a history Major, But I don't think its that hard. if you want a more introductory book about the Crusades ( and one that is a LOT of fun to read) Read " Dungeon, Fire and sword, By Robinson. It focuses a lot on the Knights Templar

Richards

Legend
I'm also reading the graphic novel Sandman: Overture by Neil Gaiman. It's a prelude to the Sandman series, explaining the events that occurred immediately before the start of the 75-issue comic book series.

Johnathan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases