D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Shayuri

First Post
Amina, her sunkissed skin nearly entirely hidden beneath her off-white acolyte's robes and veil, simply watched the 'hero of Tajar,' and the flowery-worded (yet uncommunicative) stranger, and the skilled rawuna with dark, inscrutable eyes. She stayed behind and to the right of Akilah, as was proper, ceding all recognition and importance to hakiya.

Matthan

Explorer
Husam gives a slight nod as his Sheik mentions his name but maintains his decorum. He is in the company of royalty and knows his place. He stands off to the side taking stock of the visitors to the court. Lal, he knows and trusts. They had shed blood together and Husam remembered well how Lal had risked his own life to save Husam in the profane temple of the serpent worshipers. His eyes moved past Lal to take in the other attendees of the court. They were unknown to him, but the Sheik had extended his hospitality to them. Husam kept his gaze level and his face still as he watched. If someone dishonored the Sheikh whether by violence or ill words, then he would be ready to intervene.

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah's gait is graceful but determined as she takes her place beside her father. She listens to the man's words and, feeling nothing he's saying to be untrue, gives a nod to her father before speaking, "Walking on water, an interesting feat. What brings you so far from your home?"

Sent from my SM-G955U using EN World mobile app

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal turned to the holy-woman - ah, the smart one apparently.

"It's a great way to fish for shark, you always have bait" he answered with a smile. This his expression became troubled.

"It is my faith to wander, and the Purple Lands can be cruel... and this is too sweet a night to mar with tales of greed, betrayal and vengeance. Perhaps I will tell the tale in full one day. It was not my first time leaving the Purple Lands. The first was accidental. I had hoped that my return would be pleasant, but after seeing the malice some of the inhabitants treated each other, I felt the need to be somewhere else. Fate guided me here, both to this enlightened land - there are no roads to follow on the waves - and to this most just of courts."

The Sha'ir enters flanked by his genie valet. Sinjin finds an open area and waves his hand. A seat materializes in the spot and the genie turns to Salahuddin. The chair is splendidly carved from a strange material. The genie flashes a quick grin to his friend.

"A proper setee for the Wind Called. One who has lived among the clouds should not be forced to sit on the floor."

Sinjin continues to grin as he wipes imagined dust from the chair. Salahuddin suppresses a groan and takes the offered chair. Sinjin seemed to take pleasure in the spectacle his actions caused. As Salahuddin settles down the large Genie bows.

"I will take your leave and find refreshments."

Salahuddin waves his hand and shoots his friend an annoyed glance. Sinjin chuckles to himself and moves towards the servants entrance in search of chilled wine.

Once the genie had moved off Salahuddin turns his attention to the Sheik. The man indicates the members of his court and the Sha'ir inclines his head in greeting. As he listens to the discussions Easifa pops into existence beside him a slice of blood orange in his hand. He places the acquired spellbook on the seat next to him and turns his attention those speaking listening but not inclined to join the discussion yet. As he sits he speaks through the familiar link to Easifa.

My Gen I need you to fulfill your obligation. I need to learn a circle of binding. Now go and return to me when you can teach me the ritual.

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Receiving confirmation from his astute vizier and daughter that Lal Qalandar indeed speaks the truth and does not have hostile intentions, Sheikh Ali al-Hadd eases back into his throne. Leaning to his right, he speaks in a low voice to Husam, asking his trusted half-orc, "Have my servants fetch the map from my quarters, good Husam. The large one on canvas."

Unbeknownst to the Sheikh, there had been an uninvited visitor to his chambers earlier that day, a guest who he'd been expecting some time ago who had yet not made his grand entrance. With a frown, Sheikh Ali grumbles, "We are nearly all here...save for the son of Prince Tannous, Harun al-Assad...who it seems lives up to his reputation as a man governed by no clock save the sun and stars of his own childish inclination." Those familiar with the Grand Caliph Khalil al-Assad's court know of his nephew Harun by reputation.

[SBLOCK=Harun]So [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] Harun was able to sneak into Sheikh Ali al-Hadd's quarters and discover a few things, though he didn't have time to make a thorough search as, being disguised as a guard (or whatever other guise you prefer), he was called away on "duties." Some of the things he learned include...
  • There is a rainbow obsidian totem festooned with blue feathers hanging over the Sheikh's study, with an inscription marking it as a gift from the House of Sihr – the Jann of the High Desert, whose leader Amir Bouladin has pledged to come to the city Tajar in its time of need. The language used is more familiar than formal, suggesting that Sheikh Ali maybe have had personal dealings with the jann.
  • A large illuminated manuscript resting by his bedside tells the glorified tale of the Sheikh's father, Kori al-Zafiri, who overthrew the wicked Sultan – whose name is blacked out from the text – and established the rule of justice and temperance in Tajar. It's clearly propaganda designed to make Kori al-Zafiri appear larger than life, yet the last twelve pages remain unwritten.
  • Numerous love letters are stacked in a mahogany box, a correspondence between the Sheikh and a lover named Sheera bint-Tanar, who appears to be an elven woman hailing from a High Desert tribe. They seem to maintain a deep kinship despite the Sheikh being formally married to a human.
  • Hanging on a mannequin at the foot of his bed is an exquisite suit of gold filigreed lamellar armor. Despite being kept in excellent condition, there are signs of the lamellar having seen battle.
  • Several ledgers contain blackmail material on notable merchants operating in Tajar, including one Suelasta the Magnificient, who was allowed to open a monster menagerie in a lot by the river in exchange for seeking out and training winged mounts for Tajar's military. The Sheikh seems to have concealed some of Suelasta's more criminal enterprises smuggling dangerous animals. However, thus far it seems Suelasta has yet to make good on his agreement.
  • In the Sheikh's private diary he laments the foolishness of his son Afzal, wishing the young man could be more like the brave Husam, the Sheikh's personal guard. He further expresses concern that Husam's status as a hero of the people could conceivably undermine Afzal's inheritance of the throne, as Afzal is considered nothing but a pompous ass. He wonders if sending Afzal to live among his people – House Bakr, Clan of the Young Camel – in the desert would teach his son discipline, but is worried that his sister's son Ajan bin Najon al-Yaqud is captivated by mystical dreams and a fanaticism against the Pearl Cities.
[/SBLOCK]

"Onto the matter of these despicable raiders...of which I was just telling you," he says off-handedly to Lal Qalandar. Everyone else in the room, the Sheikh knows to be well-versed on the matter owing to their previous conversations.

Gesturing to the scroll in his hand and then to the other half-orc with slave-warrior tattoos on his face ( [MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION]'s retiring PC ), Sheikh Ali continues, "Your Agha, writing on behalf of the mamluks of the Valiant, has called for you to venture to the Desert Mosque, Kaniel of the Valiant. He claims it is in relation to the raiders, but he is circumspect on details. It would appear your orders take you north, oh mamluk," he frowns, not liking to be upstaged by a military leader, but knowing that the brave mamluk is compelled by bonds of duty.[/SECTION]

Kaniel bows, "Hearing and seeing, I shall obey. Farewell, oh noble and auspicious Sheikh." Salaaming to the rest of the party, Kaniel takes his leave, offering a lingering glance to Najiyah ( [MENTION=6866331]Foxbytes[/MENTION]' retiring PC). "May our paths cross again, Fate willing."

Her face marred by worry, the bright-eyed and flamboyantly dressed sorceress Najiyah bows to Sheikh Ali, "If I may request, my Sheikh, our meeting with the brother and sister sea mages has left me vexed by some inner fire I cannot well explain. I wish to remain at your side, here at the palace, until I can trust myself. All the better for me to keep an eye out for agents of the Brotherhood of True Flame, as well. If they are in Tajar, I will flush them out." She waits a moment before the Sheikh gestures for her to take her place at the left side of his throne, giving a fleeting smile to the rest of the party.

[SECTION]After a moment of reflection, studying his trusted vizier and sorceress, Sheikh Ali nods, "Very well, Najiyah, I trust your judgment. And it does hearten me to have you at my side when the matter of Qaybar and the jann looms close at hand. Your skills with genie-kind and sorcerous societies will be put to good use."

Looking up, Sheikh Ali beckons the servants entering with a long map to hurry up. "Husam, would you help those poor boys? The canvas seems to be a bit much for them." Once against, the map noting the recent attacks by the raiders-in-black is spread out. Rising, Sheikh Ali comes to place a hand on Husam's shoulder. "I will be sending Husam with you," he says to the rest of the party, but his eyes linger on his vizier and daughter Akilah most of all. "There is no one I trust more." The innuendo is plain to see on his caring eyes; he wishes for Husam to protect his daughter Akilah. "Husam's skill with the blade is unrivaled in Tajar. Lal Qalandar, as you two are brothers-in-arms, rise and look over this map with us..."

"There is a pattern to the attacks. Myself and Kaniel," he gestures to the departing mamluk, "agree that the raiders are likely originating in this expanse of desert here." He indicates a vague area southwest of Hakim Oasis. "My tribesmen know it as the Badu al-Kabir, an inhospitable desert."

"Tell me," he says to Akilah, "Amina", and Salahuddin, "did you learn anything from the merchants targeted by these dishonorable raiders?"[/SECTION]

[SBLOCK=The map is spread out...]
5OQDFBj.png
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Salahuddin]OK [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] are you sending your gen to fetch the planar binding spell, just to be clear?[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Harun stood to the side, watching the enfolding meeting. He'd been there for days, of course. He'd already scoped out much of the place, as was his way. Pretending to be a new recruit in the guards had given him more then one new callous. Not that he didn't appreciate hard work, but Husam really needed to lighten up a big. Maybe that itching powder Harun had placed in the head guard's spare trousers would help. He'd find that within the next few days, Harun didn't doubt. He almost couldn't keep his smile off his face as he thought about it.

Then the Sheik said Husam was going to go with the group. While that would mean his time as a guard would be easier, he wasn't here to be a guardsman, he was here to...well, he was sent here to help these people with the Raiders. He, of course, knew his father just wanted him away from Huzuz, so he wouldn't disrupt the wealthy merchants anymore. And of course, Harun had other reasons for accepting this...assignment.

But if Husam wasn't going to be here, then Harun wouldn't be able to harass him anymore, and that just wouldn't do.

"Childish inclinations?" he said out loud, as if under his breath but loud enough for the room to hear. He turned to one of his fellow guards. "I was under the impression that the Prince's son was dashing and daring, a veritable hero to the people. Surely someone as distinguished as the great Harun al-Assad would warrant a descriptor more suitable than "childish". Perhaps 'Roguishly Handsome'? I'd even take 'Silver Tongued Scoundrel', for that matter."

His tongue was going to get him in trouble one of these days, but the cat was out of the bag as the entire room turned to look at him.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal lifted his voice at he departing Mamluk: "Kaniel of the Valiant, if you happen to see Mansur, of the Dome Dancers, please give him salutations from Lal Qualandar. It has been too long since we spoke."

Lal then became quiet, only returning to the foreground when called upon by the Sheikh. Rising form the cushions, he hid a wince as his knees complained. He couldn't do this forever.... Upon looking at the map he spoke again "hmmmm... I've traveled between Gana and Tajar a number of time, but I don't know the area well beyond the road itself. There are a number of good ambush spots and places for raiders to hide, that is certain. That terrain is made for it in fact, if the raiders can get supplies of course... hmmm" Sensing the unspoken request he added "it would be an honor, oh Great Sheikh, to accompany Husam and help deal with these raiders... that is if he will have help from a poor old wanderer."

Lal then turned with everyone else as a guard made a most surprising declaration.

Insight check to see if he catches on the joke : 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9
OOC: nope!

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah's head tilted to the side as she eyed the guard casually speaking as if it was his place. The last sentence, however, gave the man's ruse away. "It looks like Harun al-Assad has already made his entrance," she says flatly "and he's still up to his old tricks. Please join us."

Sent from my SM-G955U using EN World mobile app

Remove ads