Pathfinder 1E [INTEREST/RECRUIT] - Crowns of Ice

Fenris

Adventurer
A) Awesome idea
B) Eben is an inspired name.
C) Yeah this works, well. I have a few other irons in the fire working that I will consult with you on but this works very, very well.

To the group: since we haven't decided yet, but Jago referenced it, I would vote to just use the Norse pantheon since it is familiar to everyone (I assume). Secondly, it has been mentioned but not decided on the point buy. I thrown my vote in for a 20 point buy (at least ;) )

Jago

Explorer
Was mostly just using Norse because yeah, I assume that everyone has at least a passing idea of Odin and Thor, if not all the nuances of like Uller and Vydar.

Definitely finding a way to get me a Raven familiar named Muninn.

I also throw my vote in for 20 Point Buy, as it seems that we're generally making characters that, though grounded, can really affect the setting.

tglassy

Adventurer
I have no idea what a 20 point buy means in pathfinder. In 5e, a 27 point buy is average. It sounds like a 20 point buy is pretty good for pathfinder, so I'll go with that. I like really strong characters, and hate it when I have to compromise on my stats just to get the build that matches the character in my head.

And I'm good with Norse as well, though I still want to know about the Demiurge.

Jago

Explorer
To put it into perspective, a quick rundown of a 20 Point buy (that I'm going with) before racial modifiers leads to:

Str: 14
Dex: 12
Con: 12
Int: 12
Wis: 12
Cha: 15

So pretty average all around unless I wanted to drop some bonuses or add negatives, the whole drill. Play around on this website for an idea of what you can do.

Archon Basileus

First Post
If I could make a couple of suggestions.

Always! Everyone feel free to bring in all ideas and info!

The title of Jarl is the leader but they often come from the ranks of the hersir (plural hursar), the landed aristocracy.

This missing piece of info! I was reading some material trying to find out if there was a solid relation between the post and some degree of land power, and you, sir, just gave it to me! You’re a life saver!

Archon, when are you looking at having us have our characters ready?

I was thinking a few days for the first draft, maybe till the end of the week, or next Monday? What do you guys say?

Also, I’ll have to pester you guys a bit with some questions, even though you’ve covered most of them so far. Things like ascendance, descendants, religion, family ties, power positions, tendencies, obscure secrets, etc. But at first I need a solid personality draft (you’ve taken care of that as well…  )

I actually do like the idea of "Blooded" humans, invokes the old feels of the Jotunblud and such. Very cool idea, @Fenris. The idea of the hersir would also go a long way to grounding this in very Norse-tradition.

Indeed! The hersir, we’ll adopt for sure! As for the blooded, do we go for it? We will have to work some balance into a few of them, but nothing too difficult.

As for the Demiurge… I’ll explain more later on today (Gotta go to work!), but basically it would be a translation of the Christian god. It’s a monotheistic religion mostly driven by altruism and peace, but with a severe political vein.

Also, I’ll let you guys vote the points and the pantheon, as well as the races. The less I interfere, the better!

tglassy

Adventurer
So...the stat spread I'm looking at is for pure character and isn't really devoted to any particular build. I've played often enough to know pitfalls when I see them, but I can't help it. As a Jarl of his position, he would have decent intelligence, wisdom and Charisma (of course, since he's a Sorcerer). As a Dragon Disciple, he'll have the ability to get a 20 strength by level 10 if he has a high strength, and I feel that he would being a dragon blood. So here was what I was thinking:

Str: 14
Dex: 10
Con: 10
Int: 13
Wis: 14
Cha: 15

I know lower dex and con isn't healthy for anyone wanting to go into melee, but I can't help it. This just fits. Humans get two points to put wherever, so I'd obviously up Cha to 16 and Int to 14. Strength would eventually get to 18 with Dragon Disciple. Int would get to 16, and Con would get to 12.

I see him being a strong leader. Tall of stature, strong of arm, with a force of personality. Wearing heavy armor, despite the affect it has on his spells. (I'd love to get my hands on some Mythril heavy armor, but that's stuff's expensive!) He wields a bastard sword, and can use it well. I'm debating on whether he wields it with one hand, but that would take a feat in exotic weapons. Thinking about it. It would make him more intimidating, I think.

He's either Fighter 1/Sorecerer 3 or Fighter 2/Sorcerer 2. Haven't decided yet. I'll have to look at what feats I want him to have, and decide if he's going to be more caster or more melee. I'm leaning towards melee for combat, with caster for out of combat/buff during combat, but again, I haven't decided.

Jago

Explorer
Just a small thing on your weapon choice, as friends once told me for a Paladin when I wanted to 2-hand a Longsword:

"If you're going to 2-hand a Longsword, you might as well use a Bastard Sword. And if you're going to do that, you might as well use a Greatsword".

Arguably more intimidating, the level of Fighter gives you proficiency, and more damage overall. If you're going into melee without a shield, you probably want something that hits much harder and you don't have to spend the feat to get it.

As for Stats, Humans do not get 2 points to put wherever. They get a +2 to a single attribute of their choice, a Bonus Feat, and a +1 Skill Point whenever they level (including at 1st).

Now if you want, there is the "Dual Talent" alternate Racial Trait where you give up the Feat and the bonus Skill Points, but you get a +2 to two attributes of your choice, if you want to shore some things up.

Will probably affect your point distribution and build, so figured I'd speak up. All the alternate Human traits can be found Here if you want to mosey about.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Will we have time at the beginning of the game to play out some of our character's stories and get into our personalities? Trying to decide just where to start my girl off.

Would requesting a couple of NPC's be reasonable? You'll see more when I get more backstory up, but she's leaving her father's house and going... To someone else's. She's a Jarl's daughter - I don't know that makes he a "Lady" but something like it, and she'd have a couple of inconsequential ladies to help take care of her going with her.

I'm totally cool with Norse pantheon. It's easy and it fits.

Stats - that's something for people more knowledgeable than me to vote on. It's not that we want crazy powerful characters BUT we are Heroes - or Villains - we rise to the top for a reason. We should be the best of the best. What kind of stats get us there? That I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

tglassy

Adventurer
That's good to know! It doesn't actually change anything. I'd just subtract one from Cha, give it to int, and then put the two on Cha. Same build. Or, I guess I could put 15 in Cha, plus 2, then put the ASI I there, making it an 18. Then he'd get a 20 Cha pretty quick. Hmm. Cha is good for a leader. It would help with his "powerful presence" quality. I'll have to think about that.

About the bastard sword, I like bastard swords. And if I can wield it in one hand, I could still use a shield. If I wanted. Not that I do. I'll think about it.

tglassy

Adventurer
Are we dealing with middle age and old age? Cause apparently, that'll affect my stats as well. My character's going to be late 30s. That means technically, he's middle aged...

Remove ads