D&D AL admin Greg Marks talks with Misdirected Mark about recent changes.

Check out the Durlag's Tower duo or DDAL00-01 for some takes on high level play for AL. They offer what appear to be (I haven't played them yet) serious challenges for a high level party. This occurs in five ways -
1) Bosses with powerful offensive abilities and staying power
2) Placing non-trivial supporting monsters with bosses to slow up the PC onslaught
3) Deadly environments that favor the monsters and cause significant interference to the PCs
4) 'Corrosive' Exploration - ie exploration that soaks PC resources as they move through the adventure via traps, environmental conditions, PC choices, etc
5) Restrictions on Resting, or at least significant consequences depending on how PCs use rests during the mod

CapnZapp

Legend
Check out the Durlag's Tower duo or DDAL00-01 for some takes on high level play for AL. They offer what appear to be (I haven't played them yet) serious challenges for a high level party. This occurs in five ways -
2) Placing non-trivial supporting monsters with bosses to slow up the PC onslaught
3) Deadly environments that favor the monsters and cause significant interference to the PCs
4) 'Corrosive' Exploration - ie exploration that soaks PC resources as they move through the adventure via traps, environmental conditions, PC choices, etc
5) Restrictions on Resting, or at least significant consequences depending on how PCs use rests during the mod
Easier said than done.

But, if they pull it off I'm intrigued.

Nutation

Explorer

I recognize all of these from the 4E Living FR epic modules, so this may be universally applicable advice. #4 and sometimes #1 and #3 also involved unique rules and abilities that were thematically appropriate to each module.

RCanine

First Post
I recognize all of these from the 4E Living FR epic modules, so this may be universally applicable advice. #4 and sometimes #1 and #3 also involved unique rules and abilities that were thematically appropriate to each module.

They weren't in 4E LFR originally; it seems like it's a natural part of the development process. The authors (well, WotC) overoptimize for simplicity, and end up with milquetoast monsters at high levels. With better system mastery comes revisions to the design rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases