D&D 5E Best dpr archer build using UA?

Litania

First Post
Have people been crunching the dpr numbers? I have been considering playing a high dpr archer as a change of pace from my utility casters. I'm more concerned about mid levels, I'll never see the fighter's 4th attack.

Just off the top of my head:

-battle master with sharpshooter and crossbow expert (maneuver damage + bonus action attack)

-sharpshooter subclass (does the minus action bonus damage make up for the loss of bonus action attack?)

-arcane archer (I love them but the magic arrow damage is offset by the fact they must use bows. Of course phasing arrow can make up for this on occasion)

-Eldritch knight (eventually they get haste and can use better weapons than handbow)

-revised ranger hunter (how does colossus slayer + hunters mark compare?)

-revised ranger deep stalker + assassin (extra attack on first turn, advantage on initiative, auto crits. Oh my!)

-battlemaster\ranger + war cleric (one of few ways to get bonus damage attack with bows, extra d8 on weapon attacks and +10 to hit via channel divinity to offset sharpshooter)

in all of this there's also the possibility to pick up familiar for advantage to attacks and hex.

What is the general consensus?

Last edited:

Litania

First Post
I like it too (and I'll like it more once they fix it and add more uses of arcane arrow).

In terms of dpr though it doesn't look like it can compete

Litania

First Post
What does kensai monk add though? The monk chassis is a lot weaker, it loses martial arts and all it adds is pummel...
Swift quiver is a consideration...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I like Wood-elf assassin using a Longbow. It really replicates the sniper feel of one shot one kill by getting only one attack but big sneak attack damage. Rather than than the "I fire as many arrows in one round as I can" style archer (or movie Legolas).

Have people been crunching the dpr numbers? I have been considering playing a high dpr archer as a change of pace from my utility casters. I'm more concerned about mid levels, I'll never see the fighter's 4th attack.

*snip*

What is the general consensus?

Since we're talking UA here and strict DPR optimization, an 11th level Kobold Dex 20 Sharpshooter Sharpshooter with a short bow can Action Surge + Steady Aim for 161 DPR to AC 8 Zombies, or 71.80 DPR to AC 22 Ancient Dragons. (Note: against AC 19+, including against ancient dragons, -5/+10 is irrelevant, so if you're mostly planning on fighting epic threats you can skip that feat unless you need it for long-ranged fighting.)

Magic Initiate: Hex can boost that to 184 and 90 DPR respectively, although of course in reality you're probably not going to ever be fighting any 200-HP AC 8 zombies.

For comparison, a kobold Sorlock 11 (Warlock 2/Sorcerer 9) using Quickened Eldritch Blast on a pre-Hexed AC 8 target will only do 89.27 DPR. 184 is quite high.

(But DPR isn't the best thing to optimize in practice.)

Litania

First Post
I'm assuming kobold is for pack tactics, but sunlight sensitivity complicates matters.
How does the sharpshooter feature surpass a bonus action attack from crossbow expert with a +10 damage? Is it down to accuracy?

Horwath

Legend
3rd level deepstalker spell less ranger/3rd level assassin rogue/5+level arcane archer fighter.

precise strike maneuver(to mitigate SS penalty) + any other that deals bonus +1d8 damage from ranger

1st round; 2 attacks from 5+fighter levels,1 attack from deep stalker, double that for action surge, 6 attacks in 1st round all crits if target is surprised.

Remove ads