D&D 5E Best dpr archer build using UA?

neogod22

Explorer
3rd level deepstalker spell less ranger/3rd level assassin rogue/5+level arcane archer fighter.

precise strike maneuver(to mitigate SS penalty) + any other that deals bonus +1d8 damage from ranger

1st round; 2 attacks from 5+fighter levels,1 attack from deep stalker, double that for action surge, 6 attacks in 1st round all crits if target is surprised.
This is wrong, only the first attack is a critical. Once the first attack is made, surprise is over. This is why rogues don't get multi-attack. Your highest damage dealing archer is going to be an assassin rogue just for the fact that they get the ability to almost always attack with advantage, which means higher Crit chance. If you do get a sneak attack off on a surprise round (not round 1) then it's an automatic critical and at lvl 18 that damage is doubled.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Horwath

Legend
This is wrong, only the first attack is a critical. Once the first attack is made, surprise is over. This is why rogues don't get multi-attack. Your highest damage dealing archer is going to be an assassin rogue just for the fact that they get the ability to almost always attack with advantage, which means higher Crit chance. If you do get a sneak attack off on a surprise round (not round 1) then it's an automatic critical and at lvl 18 that damage is doubled.

No, you are surprised until you get to your turn.

Have people been crunching the dpr numbers? I have been considering playing a high dpr archer as a change of pace from my utility casters. I'm more concerned about mid levels, I'll never see the fighter's 4th attack.

Just off the top of my head:

-battle master with sharpshooter and crossbow expert (maneuver damage + bonus action attack)

-sharpshooter subclass (does the minus action bonus damage make up for the loss of bonus action attack?)

-arcane archer (I love them but the magic arrow damage is offset by the fact they must use bows. Of course phasing arrow can make up for this on occasion)

-Eldritch knight (eventually they get haste and can use better weapons than handbow)

-revised ranger hunter (how does colossus slayer + hunters mark compare?)

-revised ranger deep stalker + assassin (extra attack on first turn, advantage on initiative, auto crits. Oh my!)

-battlemaster\ranger + war cleric (one of few ways to get bonus damage attack with bows, extra d8 on weapon attacks and +10 to hit via channel divinity to offset sharpshooter)

in all of this there's also the possibility to pick up familiar for advantage to attacks and hex.

What is the general consensus?

Over how many rounds between short rests? Most of those are nova options.

10 -15 is average.

CapnZapp

Legend
Have people been crunching the dpr numbers? I have been considering playing a high dpr archer as a change of pace from my utility casters.

Just off the top of my head:

-battle master with sharpshooter and crossbow expert (maneuver damage + bonus action attack)
This is a straightforward path to great overall performance. In fact, it's probably so good it breaks the entire game (why go melee when you can do this?!)

Essentially, this turns your crossbow archer into a melee character with 120 ft reach!
And not only that, you get the same übercrazy damage potential as a greatweapon wielder! Sure you don't have a d12 damage die, but who cares when you never waste an attack for want of an eligible target.

Don't use your battlemaster maneuvers for extra damage, though. You'd be better off using Precision Attack (to turn misses into hits), enabling you to use the Sharpshooter -5/+10 part on scarily high ACs.

Since you obviously will attack monsters set up so you have advantage, you should find that even with the -5 from Sharpshooter, you will nearly always hit when you need to roll around 10 on the d20. (the 50% miss chance first shrinks to 25% from advantage, then to 15% from, say Guidance, then into low-single digit numbers if you apply Precision Attack judiciously. If you also have Lucky, you could go entire days without missing a single shot. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is true power! (In fact, we're looking at 4d6+60 damage each round... :D)

(Sharpshooter is so broken it isn't even funny, but I must admit it is kind of hilarious to read about those poor saps flailing about trying to deny it)

I'm more concerned about mid levels, I'll never see the fighter's 4th attack.
Forget about the fighter's 4th extra attack. :) You get four attacks already at 11th level (since you're effectively dualwielding here - making a bonus action attack every round)

In fact, that's not the end of it. You can gain a fourth attack already at level 8! (Fighter 5 for two attacks, Crossbow Expert for bonus action attack, and Ranger 3 for Hordebreaker - encountering adjacent enemies is very common). Obviously Fighter 6/Ranger 4 is probably a more realistic target, since it's two more ASIs, but still - faster than Fighter 11! :)

This means you'll commonly do five attacks at level 15, if that's included in your "mid-levels".

Six if you set up a reliable way of making opportunity attacks. (Not saying this is actually worth it, but War Caster enables you to make your opportunity attack using a cantrip, which nicely scales even with you not having any spellcasting levels. But a feat that lets you make a 3d10 opportunity attack even with no melee weapon in hand is nothing to sneeze at...)

I haven't more than casually browsed the UA subclasses, but I have not seen anything worth a powergamer's time. (I would love if I was educated otherwise) The build above is pure PHB.

neogod22

Explorer
No, you are surprised until you get to your turn.
Sure, but only the 1st attack gets the benefits of the surprise attack, all other attacks are normal. Sneak attack specifically says it can only be used one time per turn. Once you fire, your position is revealed. You also have to remember, that you might not get surprise on every creature, and the ones that aren't surprised can act normally.

neogod22

Explorer
The reason why the fighter will never be able to beat an assassin rogue at level 18 is because the fighter is limited where a rogue is not. At level 17 they get death strike. On a surprise attack, they get advantage, auto-crit, and then double damage will make their attack the most powerful single attack in the game. 2(18d6+2d8+15+*). The last variable being whatever other bonuses from magic weapon, magic ammo etc. After that he still has 1d8+9d6+15+* per round with advantage on every attack, because who are we kidding, at that level you're not failing a hide check. assuming he has sharpshooter in both instances. Advantage gives him twice the chance to Crit and half the chance to miss. Rogues are the epitome of DPS.

Fighters, we will use the battlemaster only, not your crazy ineffective hybrids. The fight may have 3 attacks, and may have battlemaster dice, but those are limited, so are their action surges, once those are done, the fighter is stuck with normal damage only. Where the fighter excel is, killing multiple "soft" targets in the same round.

I'm assuming kobold is for pack tactics, but sunlight sensitivity complicates matters.
How does the sharpshooter feature surpass a bonus action attack from crossbow expert with a +10 damage? Is it down to accuracy?

The main thing is that Steady Aim eats your bonus action, so it's not available for Crossbow Expert.

But yes, accuracy is a big deal, which is why, as mentioned, the Sharpshooter feat's -5/+10 option is a net loss of damage against AC 19+ if you're already getting the Sharpshooter subclass's bonus damage from Steady Aim. Accuracy would be an even bigger deal if you didn't have advantage from being a kobold (assuming you have an ally in range to activate Pack Tactics--in real life this won't always be true, but in simplistic DPR calculations this assumption is common).

Remove ads