D&D 5E Can you Twin Greenflame Blade or Booming Blade?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't have my books with me, but I just had a thought.

If you are a Sorcerer wielding two weapons, could you Twin Greenflame Blade or Booming Blade so that it affects both weapons and you attack twice? (And of course you then Quicken it so you attack again with your bonus action.)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Booming blade definitely. Greenflame blade, maybe.

Both technically only target a single opponent, however, Greenflame blade has an additional effect that strikes another target nearby so it may nor be allowed, though I'd probably allow it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Just to add to cbwjm, You do not need 2 weapons. One suffices. And yes. Quicken it too.

Huh, I was thinking the spell targeted your weapon (like I said, I don't have my books with me). Now that I think about it, your weapon is the material component and the creature you're attacking is the target. Nice.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Where are those spells in? I'm told they are almost required for Eldritch Knights (like the eldrich blast equivalent)...

Horwath

Legend
They are in SCAG.
Jeremy Crawford says you can't twin GFB: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/10/can-you-us-twinned-spell-with-green-flame-blade/
I don't think there's been a ruling for Booming, but based on his ruling for GFB, since Booming only hits one enemy, you should be able to twin it.

I would allow it.

They realy botched it with twin spell.

You should be able to twin any spell. They should just put in that the same target cannot be affected by the twinned spell more than once.
I.E. twinned fireball cannot overlap. Or if it can it deals the damage only once to overlapped targets.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I would allow it.

They realy botched it with twin spell.

You should be able to twin any spell. They should just put in that the same target cannot be affected by the twinned spell more than once.
I.E. twinned fireball cannot overlap. Or if it can it deals the damage only once to overlapped targets.

I'd allow it without that caveat, then remind my players that any loopholes they take advantage of are also available to NPCs. For some strange reason, I never have loophole abuse problems.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases