Could I have some Advice on my Character please?

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I would still give my character personality but let the other PCs take the lead in social situations. You don't need to make a caricature who avoids talking to people at all costs but simply play your character to not go out of their way to be the leader.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I think you can make a non-leadership character for any class. And I don't think you should restrict yourself to a backline (I presume that means support?) role unless that's something you're interested in. You can be a frontline combatant who isn't a leader, if that's what you like.

At this point, I think I want to have a Naive human Ranger who was raised by elves who can make his or her own arrows but can't cook :) It sounds a bit more like an involving when you can consider involving stealth/positioning into the mix :)

ccs

41st lv DM
Sounds good :) Also, I don't want my character to just be a "heal bot" so what role would you suggest to be consistently useful backline but not super op? :)

1) You can't really make a super-op 5e character.

2) Read the Players Handbook. Read the cleric class & then read the cleric spells (concentrating on those that you can actually cast because of your lv). Pick the spells that you think are "the best" for whatever you intend to do.

3) How to avoid being the heal-bot (applicable in any edition of the game!): Easy, just don't cast a lot of healing spells.

Don't make up crazy/creative abilities like Mars that aren't in the book until you you're actually in a game & have discussed them with your DM.

On RP; Don't get hung up this. It's not hard. You don't need accents, different voices, etc. Just start your gaming by telling the DM what your character does/says as needed. Interact in "social" encounters as you feel comfortable. Do NOT base you participation on your dice modifier. If you think you've got something to add? Chime in.
And even if you're not the one doing most of the "talking", that doesn't mean you can't be participating. Mention what you're doing/thinking while the others haggle with the merchant etc. You might only be adding "flavor text" to a scene by describing leaning against the wall, taking a smoke break, & folding a piece of paper into an oragmi swan while the other PCs haggle with a merchant - but you're still adding detail to the scene.

ccs

41st lv DM
At this point, I think I want to have a Naive human Ranger who was raised by elves who can make his or her own arrows but can't cook :) It sounds a bit more like an involving when you can consider involving stealth/positioning into the mix :)

You should make them LIKE to cook though. Just really bad at it. Or maybe it's just that the rest of the party doesn't like "elvish" cooking.

That's pretty good advice :) Because of the Nature of your Answer :) I came up with the perfect character for me :) I don't want to play as a Cleric anymore because I am as a person am inclined to heal in computer games whilst I find it boring :) Instead, I have a much simpler character :) I'm just going to post her story down :) If you can suggest anything such as changes or skills or abilities :) Please do so because I don't want my character to be dead/redudent from the get go :)

"
Estefane – Human – Ranger - Chaotic Neutral

Estefane as a child was released into the wild by her parents and became a Nomad.

With her, she had a shoddy wooden bow and some makeshift arrows.

She learnt that if you somehow poked the pointy end into an animal, you could eat it when it couldn't/didn't move.

Beknownst to Estefane, eating Raw Meat wasn't something humans normally did but she did learn to use plants to keep her teeth clean.

She also found that if an Arrow snapped, she couldn't use it again but she could make more by carving sticks with rocks.

After wondering for a long time (like, for years or something), she came across a Trippy Wizard Dude in a tower who taught her how to understand English in return for some rabbits to eat.

The Trippy Wizard Dude named Estefane as Estefane and pointed her “that way” so now she's in your party for some reason.

Maybe because you didn't shoot Arrows at her? Whatever.
"

mmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMmmmmmMmmmm. I feel like I need to find a different angle for my character. The peeps I would be playing with have played that game. I'm not sure what though :/

Remove ads