Question about Epics - planning on attending my first

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I am planning on participating in a D&D Adventurers League Epic Event. I've never attended one before. Actually, I've only attended one D&D Adventurers League event of any type in the past.

My question is whether pre-generated characters will be provided or if I am expected to bring one. There is one other Adventurer's League event scheduled for the same Con and they state:

"Bring your previous Adventurers League characters or create one using League rules. (Pre-gens provided if you don't want to create one."

The epic event, however, does not have this same language in the description. Does this mean that I am expected to bring a character? If so, it doesn't even state what level the character should be.

Personally, since I only play Adventurers League games once or twice a year at Cons, I would prefer to just use a pre-gen. But I don't want to show up without a character or an improper (wrong level, against some AL rule, etc.) character.

If anyone has participated in AL Epic events could fill me in on what the DM's expectations are likely to be, I'd greatly appreciate it.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I haven't attended an epic before, but I do play a lot of AL.

All pre-gens are going to be Level 1. If you have a previous character you made for your earlier AL experience, you could use that character. He's probably at least Level 2 if you've played it once. That is the beauty of organized play. Either way, you will likely be at a Tier 1 table. While they have put out some pre-gens for previous seasons, I don't believe there are any for the current season, and none of them are really "official", just put together by the Admins. While the DMs might have some available, it's probably safer to whip up a quick first level character (or just use your previous character). Using the quick character build suggestions in the PHB is pretty easy and will give you a good character, something you might even be able to do at the table quickly before it starts.

Good luck on getting into an Epic, though. I've heard they're fun.

NeverLucky

First Post
Most cons probably have 1st level pre-gens available, but to be safe, you should just make a 1st level character and bring it (or print an AL-legal pre-gen and bring it). To date, all AL epics have included a tier 1 (level 1-4) track, so you can always play a pre-gen or new character in an epic.

Quick reference for making an AL character: Always start at 1st level, don't roll for ability scores, don't roll for starting gold. If you're just using PHB, follow normal character creation rules in that book and you should be fine. If you don't intend to continue playing with that character in AL in the future, you don't even need to bother with a logsheet, though I would recommend one if you want to play with characters higher than level 1 in the future.

darjr

I crit!
If the character is 2nd level you can rebuild him. So in effect you can make a 2nd level. You'll need it's logsheet.

They should have 1st level pregens on hand.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'll see if I can find my character from last year. But to be clear, in AL, you can not just role up a higher level character, correct? Sorry, but my late 80s Gen Con experience was very different from AL. You HAD to use a pre-gen and they were typically one offs. The great thing about that is that you could also play mid to high level modules at a convention. It seems that I'll always be level one in any AL game, which seems limiting. I'm still going to do the epic game, because it sounds like a lot of fun what ever your level, but I'm going to be looking at mostly non-AL games for my other con-d&d games.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

darjr

I crit!
That's correct. As of right now you can't roll up a higher level character. Though earn enough DM rewards and you can do something very close to it.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I've only participated at one epic in Lucca (the first one in Italy). You could choose one of three tiers of play and pregens were available for each tier. For example, I used an 8th level pregen. I don't know if this is standard.

NeverLucky

First Post
I've only participated at one epic in Lucca (the first one in Italy). You could choose one of three tiers of play and pregens were available for each tier. For example, I used an 8th level pregen. I don't know if this is standard.
If it's Adventurer's League, then you are not allowed to create characters higher than level one (which includes using a pregen).

warfteiner

First Post
Hey folks -

As stated by several people in this thread, I would like to confirm that you cannot use a pregen character above level 1. I would also like to confirm that, to date, all of our Epics have indeed offered a play experience at levels 1-4.

If you need a quick character, speak with your event organizers as it's likely that they have some level 1 pregens ready to rock. Otherwise, use the AL rules and whip one up - variant human seems really common for this, it's weird. ;)

have fun and roll those dice!

Remove ads