Question about Epics - planning on attending my first

Anthraxus

Explorer
Thought, maybe, because MN is in your forum name. :) I was there last year, and they had plenty of pregens printed. I think they almost ran out because there were so many new players! I will make sure the organizers have pregens! Also, keep a logsheet for the character, and they can advance- play with the same character at another AL event or gameday!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Thought, maybe, because MN is in your forum name. :) I was there last year, and they had plenty of pregens printed. I think they almost ran out because there were so many new players! I will make sure the organizers have pregens! Also, keep a logsheet for the character, and they can advance- play with the same character at another AL event or gameday!

Good to know, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rooneg

Adventurer
For what it's worth, I don't recommend taking a pregen to an epic. If you're following AL rules (and thus pregens are 1st level) your character is unlikely to survive the adventure if they're level 1 (unless you by nature stay in the back and snipe or something). If you have a character from a previous year who's been through one or two adventures I'd recommend using that one (rebuilding it into whatever race/class you want to play) instead of a new 1st level PC.

Not saying level 1 PCs can't play in epics (the tier 1 table I DMed at CarnageCon had two level 1 PCs), but it looked way more fun to be playing a higher level PC. Even 2nd level is a big difference in survivability. One of the level 1 PCs I had was down and making death saves multiple times, the other was fine largely because she didn't get anywhere near combat.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I've got an L4 AL character that plays at Cons. I took him to an Epic last year and my table had 3 L1 characters. I turned into the small-L leader because so many other players were new. It was more fun than I expected, fortunately I've already made all the dumb combat mistakes myself (and almost died from it) so I knew what to avoid and could explain why.

You have to be tactically smart, but you CAN survive the L1 experience.
- Don't be afraid to ask the other players for help.
- Take a little time at the beginning of the session to 'compare notes'. See who else you have in the group, and look for any good combinations you can drop on the enemies (like casting Hold Person on the monster standing next to the Paladin).
- Armored front-liners, not the casters / archer ranger, should go in doors first.
- Do you have a good scout / sneaker? Talk (read: bribe) him into going ahead by himself. Especially if he has Darkvision but other folks don't.
- Snipers should use all the cover they can find, duck out of sight at the end of your turn to avoid return fire - especially if you are down to 1 HP; you can still win the fight for Team Hero despite belonging in the nearest hospital !

Last edited:

Ermengildo

First Post
I've played my first Epic last Sunday. We had 3 players (including me) on our tier-1 table, one of them was L1 pregen.
Yes, he went down and he rised again a few times, but he did make his impact into every fight and, what is more important, he did have fun. As a result due to tactics and good coordination we all managed to survive and successfully finish our mission.
So if u don't have higher lvl PC's it's ok to play a pregen and enjoy the game.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Thanks again, everyone, for your explanations and advice. I won't worry too much about a low-level character. I grew up in the 1st ed. era of having to be very careful at low levels. 5th ed. has seems much more survivable in comparison (I love 5e but I also really loved the recent zero-level PC Dungeon Crawl Classics game a friend DM'd for me--it's fun to be scared for your life!)

Remove ads