Looking Forward At The Year To Come In Tabletop RPGs

I'm not one for looking back, so retrospectives of the year that was, or looks back at the best of the year, aren't for me. A lot of good and interesting games came out, and more than a few sad or bad things happened as well. It was a year that we will likely remember for a long time, in and out of our tabletop gaming worlds. Instead, let's take a little time and baselessly speculate about the year to come.

I'm not one for looking back, so retrospectives of the year that was, or looks back at the best of the year, aren't for me. A lot of good and interesting games came out, and more than a few sad or bad things happened as well. It was a year that we will likely remember for a long time, in and out of our tabletop gaming worlds. Instead, let's take a little time and baselessly speculate about the year to come.

What trends might we expect in gaming over the next year or so?

The Rebirth Of Science Fantasy
We all know that Starfinder is coming from Paizo Publishing. I think that, along with the upcoming Mutant Crawl Classics game from Goodman Games, we will see a wave of popularity of the science fantasy genre in role-playing games. Combine what will likely be two popular games with the fact that we are now going to see a new Star Wars movie every year (along with the new material coming for Fantasy Flight Games' lines of Star Wars role-playing games), and that means that a lot of people will be thinking about wanting to play science fantasy games.

I lead with this because I think that it might end up being the biggest trend in RPGs for the coming year. We know, from past cycles, that game designers and publishers tend to think alike. They read a lot of the same books and watch a lot of the same movies, which means that they tend to get a lot of the same ideas around the same time as each other. We've seen a couple of versions of the Metamorphosis Alpha game come out over the last couple of years, which could have been the start of this trend. A new edition of Paranoia has been simmering in the cauldrons for a bit, after a Kickstarter project successfully funded, but it has been plagued with delays.

I think that 2017 is going to be the year that we see a lot of designers and publishers putting the chocolate of science fiction tropes into the peanut butter of fantasy. Whether it is star-faring science fantasy, or post-apocalyptic science fantasy, we are going to see a lot of different flavors of these two tasty genres over the next year.

I am looking forward to this trend. Goodman Games' Mutant Crawl Classics was one of the few Kickstarters that I backed this year. I enjoyed Gamma World as a kid, and when I got older works like the Max Max movies and Jack Kirby's psychedelic Kamandi comic were things that I eagerly consumed. I think that it is a psychological thing that post-apocalyptic media becomes popular when the world turns grim. We like to think that we can right the world when heroes stand up to the darkness, and that is one of the cornerstones of RPGs.

I think that I am looking forward to Starfinder more than I was looking forward to Pathfinder. I was at the Gen Con when Pathfinder debuted. It was a madhouse. People were buying books as quickly as the Paizo Publishing people could stock their booth. Will Starfinder be as dramatic at its Gen Con as Pathfinder was? I don't know, but I think that it has the capacity to do so. Even if it isn't the top seller, it will be in the top two.

But either way, we're going to see a rise in popularity for the genre among RPG publishers, and gamers. I hope that this will mean that we see a lot of new, weird gaming material over the next few years that isn't afraid to mashup two, or more, genres.

The Upswing Of Horror
It is a pretty well-documented fact that horror movies (and other forms of horror media) have an upswing during times of economic recession. Think back to the horror booms of the 70s and of the 90s. In fact it was the horror boom of the 90s that brought role-playing games the game changing Vampire: The Masquerade, as well as the Gnostic horror of Kult. Steve Jackson Games brought us the English language version of the French role-playing game In Nomine. Steve Jackson Games also brought out GURPS: Voodoo The Shadow War, by C.J. Carella (who has brought us a number of horror games and settings over the years), one of my favorite GURPS books of the Third Edition era.

This was just the tip of the iceberg for horror gaming, as well. Old favorites like Chaosium's seminal horror game Call of Cthulhu saw new life breathed into it by third party publishers Pagan Publishing with Delta Green. The Delta Green setting tapped into a millennial zeitgeist not unlike that of the television show X-Files. It isn't coincidence that while Delta Green is currently in a new edition, the X-Files has also come back on the air.

It isn't a surprise that Kult is coming back, with its blend of Clive Barker inspired body horror and a dark look at religion and the secrets of the universe. The new edition is Powered By The Apocalypse, instead of using its own system, but it still promises to be as unflinching and extreme as the game has ever been. There's a quickstart that has been released to backers of the successful Kickstarter, and I am looking forward to seeing where the new edition of the game takes us.

Vampire: The Masquerade is on an upswing too. When video game developer Paradox Interactive announced in 2015 that they had acquired White Wolf Games, most of the talk of the acquisition revolved around bringing back the Vampire game. When Martin Ericsson was named the Lead Storyteller for White Wolf, there was plenty of Vampire talk. In fact he has shown some pictures of groups playing early playtests of the new edition on his Facebook. Will the new Vampire: The Masquerade come out this year? Maybe not, but it will definitely lead gaming news as more information comes out over the course of the new year. Let's hope that a new year brings us a new Vampire, but we'll see what happens.

Fantasy And The DIY Groundswell
Between retroclones like Swords & Wizardry having a very successful Kickstarter for a new printing, and the fantasy RPG DIY movement seeing the achievements of adventures and settings like Mike Evan's visceral Hubris for the Dungeon Crawl Classics game or Zak Smith's Maze of The Blue Medusa, there has been a groundswell of creativity in the fantasy gaming small press over the last year. Admittedly, this is the culmination of years of work before this year, however I think that not only was this the year that the DIY movement really broke but also when it showed that there could be more to what was once known just as an old school revival than rehashing the games that we all played as children. The old games could be used as the basis for new forms of creativity, and doing more than just what was being done 30 or 40 years ago.

I think that this will be a trend that we will see more of in the new year as well, with creators like Jason Sholtis and Chris Kutalik lead small press publishing houses like The Hydra Collective in bold new directions for fantasy role-playing.

What about D&D, the father of role-playing games? I think that it will keep on keeping on. Wizards of the Coast plays things pretty close to the vest when it comes to what is on the horizon for the game, but I think that we will see some interesting new adventures for Dungeons & Dragons, and maybe we'll get to see some published character options, outside of the material that they put out on their website. Much like comic book sales have been on an upswing because of industry starter DC Comics seeing sales increases, so does the RPG industry get better when D&D does better.

Fantasy is always one of the most active segments of tabletop role-playing games, so with games like D&D and Pathfinder doing well in the market, that means that we will see a rise in fantasy games from other publishers as well. John Wick's 7th Sea, which had the most successful tabletop RPG Kickstarter ever, will roll out more material funded by the project in the new year. We will likely see the newest take on Runequest coming this year from the revitalized Chaosium this year, as well, or at least more information about its launch (most possibly through a Kickstarter).

A popular saying in business is that "a rising tide lifts all ships." As fantasy is the leader in tabletop RPGs, as we see more fantasy games, and supplements, coming out, that will lead to us seeing even more fantasy games and supplements coming out.

The Rise And Fall Of Kickstarter
Pundits and prognosticators like to show that they know what they are talking about, that they are the foremost experts. Each year we see more people say that each year will be when the bubble bursts for RPG Kickstarters. I admit it, I have said it as well. Everything is cyclic, and sooner or later the wheel has to turn back around to the bottom of the cycle again. Will this year be the year for RPG Kickstarters to burst?

I don't think that is going to be the case. I think that we still have the space for a role-playing game to outperform even the records set by 7th Sea. I think that it will be a perfect storm of timing and property that will make a staggering amount of money for someone on Kickstarter. If I was a gambling man, I would put my money on the RPG property that could do this to be Vampire: The Masquerade's new edition. I don't know that the game is going to be launched via a Kickstarter project, after all Paradox Interactive has pretty deep pockets by tabletop gaming standards, but if there would be any game that could be capable of making millions on Kickstarter, I would say that it would be Vampire. Will it happen? Time will tell.

Regardless, I think that it is going to be a busy year in tabletop RPGs, regardless of what happens in the world outside of gaming. I think that the highs are going to be high, and the lows are going to be pretty low. 2017 probably won't always be a pretty year, but it will be another one to remember when we get to this point in another year.
SaveSave

aramis erak

Legend
For those saying that there aren't successful SF games, I would also point out that Traveller 5 made nearly $300K on Kickstarter, and was the top grossing RPG Kickstarter for a while.

Not to be cynical, but, T5's still not actually fully fulfilled... Sure, everyone got a book or PDF... but Marc's still working on the actual, final, playable version, and the player's book is still at least a year off. (Because Marc's not going to do the Player's Book until he finishes T5.1.)

There's plenty of room in the industry for Sci-Fi. Mongoose is doing alright (not top 5, but still top 20) with Their version. Dr Who sells well enough, too. And, as Morrus notes, FFG SW is top 3. (And they just surrendered a license for a Space Fantasy line of games....) Not to mention, if one breaks out FFG star Wars into its component lines, they're each still top 10...

As for L5R... I fully expect we'll see something announced more for Gen Con. Last I saw on their page, they were planning on an LCG as the lead game, and a reset of the timeline... and for other, linked games. They did, I'll note, buy the whole property (source: AEG's announcement on the sale), not just the CCG and trademarks.

And I found this on the FFG L5R page:
In addition to the new incarnation of the Legend of the Five Rings CCG as a LCG, we are excited to explore new possiblities for Legend of the Five Rings in the roleplaying space. At the current time, we don't have many details about this, but we will reveal more as the details become clear.​

I would hardly be surprised if they made an L5R edition using their SW engine. But it's not like they don't own 4 other engines to pick from...

I expect Modiphius will do rather well with STA, no matter how good or bad the game itself is, as it will grab a lot of casual gamers, too, not unlike Star Wars. And the alpha draft is rough around the edges, but plays well with the right players.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Well, if Morrus cannot mentio it here, I was going to add N.E.W to the mix of Sci-Fi products coming out or doing well right now. I agree with the trend. I backed Coriolis which looks fantastic and might be one of the best systems to represent games like Star Wars (it even has a trusting the Force mechanic, or calling on gods/idols, whatever you want to call it).

What about Fragged Empire? Another sci-fi ish game that looks awesome.

Not to mention Cypher System - main settings so far are sci-fi with more to come soon inc a setting combining sci-fi with dinos.

Certainly looks like a trend. I can't wait to get my full Coriolis book in hardback. The PDF is amazing.

In the NY I wish to check out W.O.I.N & Fragged Empire too. (Thanks to the freebies, I can start the W.O.I.N now and subscription to the E.O.N mag ;)).

Cool article, just wish the net was cast a little wider.

I doubt it. FFG hasn't seemed to want to pursue the RPG version of that. I think their Star Wars RPG sales are no where near their sales for the X-Wing or Star Wars card games and that will translate to focus on similar games for L5R. Hopefully I will be proved wrong but they have been very tight lipped about a possible RPG.

I'm not even sure I would want them to produce a RPG version. I am really happy with the system AEG created. I don't think FFG can make a better one.
They should license it to JWP

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
There are some assumptions in this article that I just cannot agree with. I can't tell if it's just a different perspective or lack of research or what but I'll point out a few things:

"Rebirth of Science Fantasy" - A wave of science fantasy games? You mean like with Numenera & Shadowrun 5th edition starting in 2013? Hell on Earth Reloaded in 2014? Masters of Umdarr for FATE and Mutant Chronicles in 2015? Savage Rifts in 2016? Additionally there's the entire 40K RPG line from 2008 - 2016 and the FFG Star Wars line from 2012 onward. There was also a 4E-style edition of Gamma World in 2010 that made some noise before disappearing if we want to look back that far.

While I agree that Starfinder will get some attention, it's far more "continuing a trend" than kicking off some big new thing. I think it's in a weird place as it's a new SF type title backed by one of the big players in RPGs but it's also not tied to a "name" property from outside of RPG's. I think there will be a ton of initial buy-in from existing Pathfinder fans but a chunk of that will be to see what Paizo does with the mechanics and with an eye towards what they might do in a future Pathfinder update. I think that will help sell the big book but I wonder how many Star Finder campaigns will be running a year after launch? There will be a bunch of chatter leading up to Gen Con and Paizo Con next year but how big will it be at Gen Con 2018?

MCC is cool and I backed the KS too but it's a niche game, a small niche even in this hobby. It's already a riff on Gamma World and Metamorphosis Alpha and I suspect any new game there would be inspired by those as much as this one. I personally am really looking forward to it but I don't expect it to change major industry trends. If it kicked off some kind of mini-post-apocalyptic revival within the OSR I'd be happy enough with that.

Genre nitpick: Lumping in Star Wars, Mad Max, Gamma World/MCC, and Starfinder as "science fantasy". Within RPG's, that term has been used since the 80's at least, to refer to games like Gamma World - tech and mutants and fantastic technology. With movies, people have been calling Star Wars that in an attempt to distant it from "serious" science fiction movies without the overt mystical elements but it's also been called "space opera" and that's a much better term for it, within the RPG arena at least. Shadowrun has been described in a lot of different ways but the best ones tend to invoke cyberpunk + magic. You can label all of those things "Science fantasy" if you like and not be technically incorrect but it's not a very helpful label when the games are all completely different in actual play. I don't mean mechanics here - I mean tone, theme, campaign focus, and the types of adventures that are played. Plus there aren't many popular games that don't have some element of the fantastic in them. Vampire presents a modern technological world + magical creatures! Deadlands presents a high-tech 1870's America - with magic! Even Traveller, often labelled "Hard Sci-Fi", has had a Psionics chapter from the very beginning - a chapter with powers including mind reading, telekinesis, and even teleportation!

Horror: Are we in a recession right now? I thought we were out of that several years back according to Economists. Circa 2007-08-09 sure, but now? I think what you're seeing is the 20-30 year pop culture revisit. In the 70's, the 50's were popular (Happy Days, Sha Na Na). In the 80's, the 60's were a thing again. In the 90's it was the 70's all over again. Recently the 80's were a thing and we're seeing the 90's start up again too (Power Rangers, Independence Day, and Jurassic Park at the movies, various bands & music, ) - for some reason, as we hit 20-25 year anniversary dates, things tend to pop back up. That seems to be what's driving the X-Files and some of the RPG material too. Vampire, Delta Green, Kult, Chill, L5R, even 5E D&D being more like 2E D&D might be tied into this kind of thing.

Fantasy will continue to be popular - yeah, that's not exactly news since it's been the dominant RPG genre from literally the day the hobby was created, but "a rise in fantasy games from other publishers"? Because of 7th Sea? We've had a ton of new fantasy RPG's and settings every year - are you saying there will be more in 2017 than in 2014-15-16? Remember 13th Age? Remember Shadow of a Demon Lord? Remember Primeval Thule? Scarlet Heroes? Beasts and Barbarians? Two versions of Lankhmar? Conan? Titansgrave? One Ring? Exalted 3E? Middle Earth for 5E Throw in the kickstarter for the reprint of RQ2 and the print on demand option for all of the old TSR D&D material and I think you may see less new fantasy from other publishers and more supplemental material for older and existing games.

Bonus Take: Star Wars has had an RPG in print almost continuously for 30 years as of 2017. Even with completely different mechanics over the years the setting has kept the game at some minimum level of popularity. Star Trek has been unable to sustain anything close to that in RPG's. Those first five years or so in the 80's it was very popular and that's when all we had was original series re-runs and the original cast movies every other year. Once TNG got going and FASA left it's just never been the same. I liked Last Unicorn's effort, I liked Decipher's effort, but neither of them lasted more than 2 years. No one has done anything with the license for over ten years until now and I wish Modiphius a lot of luck with this run. That said I predict FFG's Star Wars continues its dominance with the RPG, board games, card games, and X-Wing and Armada miniatures games. Star Trek will take off this year and be a small hit - I can see it quickly becoming Modiphius' biggest game. Heck it's been forever since we had new Trek RPG anything. The test though, will be how it does in 2018 and beyond once the initial "Awesome!" wears off.

Anyway, I like that you took the time to make some predictions for next year - I just think it could be better.

aramis erak

Legend
[MENTION=53082]Lord_Blacksteel[/MENTION] It's not like people are paying attention...

FFG stated their intention to do a new L5R RPG in their initial announcement, and yet people are going all chicken little about no mention of it, while ignoring that it's right there on their web page for L5R...

Starfinder, however, seems to be aimed at the Dragonstar/Spelljammer crowd, IE "multiworld Fantasy with sailing ships in space", rather than the Space Fantasy ala Star Wars or Battle Beyond the Stars. Or 40K.

And there's a lot of technofantasy. Things like resurgences of Space 1889, Deadlands, and (dare I say it) Dresden Files...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Pillar of Fire is epic science fiction rather than space opera, but it's also got a lot of fantastic elements defined as far-future science such as souls, reincarnation, etc. I originally pitched it to Atlas Games internally because I didn't like any of the SF RPGs that were out there that weren't also licenses.

I think a lot of people had similar thoughts.

Cheers,
Cam

dwayne

Adventurer
I would Love to see a 5th edition D&D modern update with official books and all, There was a Greyhawk modern setting done as an adventure in a dungeon mag. a while back. But would settle for almost anything but would just love a generic one with all the material up to date. But have My Chris Dias, from DEM Dias Ex Machina the Apex, and Ultramodern 5 and he is also updating his Neurospasta as well. They are perfect for a 5th edition modern or sci fi game you should check them out. https://www.facebook.com/Dias-Ex-Machina-416791821692560/

The DIY\OSR movement has a lot to teach the mainstream RPGs about finding the sweet spot between text bloat and creative and necessary information. The creativity and conciseness of the adventures are such a fresh of breath air and so much more easier and fun to run.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads