Baseball (role) players

Shadowdancer

First Post
In the latest issue of ESPN the Magazine, there is a story about Phillies catcher Todd Pratt, who is an EverQuest addict, er, player. He says he used to play 24 hours straight at times, but now with four children he is down to a couple of hours a day.

He said he has been a computer role-player for years, as is his friend, Diamonbacks pitcher Curt Schilling. They started gaming together when they came up in the Red Sox organization.

Also in the story, Pratt got to go to Sony Online Entertainment's office in San Diego to meet with the game's programmers and to try out some new missions being considered for the game.

Pratt also has created a fan-based webzine called ianstorm.com. He says that when he is done play, he wants to make it legitimate magazine.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
No pen and paper games in all of that? Gotta have at least some pen and paper gaming. Not sure that he qualifies as a gamer... :p

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I used to post over on Ianstorm.com, when Pratt played for the Mets (the team I'm a fan of).

He posts as (or used to anyway) Stormbringer. I asked him about Elric, and if Moorcock were his favorite fantasy author, and he had no idea what I was talking about. Kind of funny, actually.

He talked about playing games like that with a few guys, Schilling included. Curt Schilling talked about playing EQ in an interview with Maxim magazine too. I just checked, and that interview is not available online.

These baseball players are just big kids, and if we had the time and money to get any games we'd like, we'd probably be doing the same stuff.

Glyfair

Explorer
Mark said:
No pen and paper games in all of that? Gotta have at least some pen and paper gaming. Not sure that he qualifies as a gamer... :p

A few months ago I posted something on a similiar story on the Phillies website. In that article he said he used to play D&D when he was younger.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Glyfair said:
A few months ago I posted something on a similiar story on the Phillies website. In that article he said he used to play D&D when he was younger.

Thanks for the info. We'll let him off the hook then. He's a gamer... ;)

JChung2003

First Post
I heard that Curt Schilling also bought the rights to Advanced Squad Leader so he's really old school if you think about it. Wargaming! :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hey, you could always play strat-o-matic, and he could be one of your "role-playing game" characters. ;)

Remove ads